Author Topic: Powerslides  (Read 7523 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Powerslides
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:28 AM »
Get yourself a set of Spitfire 101 F4s, preferably the radial slims.

Find a real road, NOT blacktop (sticky) or smooth concrete (you'll flatspot your wheels).

Go fast.

No, go FAST.

For fuck's sake, go FASTER.

Try to slide until you slip out.

Slip out.

Next time, don't slip out.

The real key, especially if we're talking a full FOUR wheel powerslide, is once you can get your rear wheels sliding (easy) is to focus on your front wheels, you really do need to push, put your weight behind them. Lean back and try to be light on your feet.

When you are about to slip out, is when you pull it back in. Taking the weight off the front wheels and pushing back down on the rear and pulling it in.

As teens when wheels were too small or shot we had a hill with markers set up for slide length, it was one of those old bluestone/gravel roads that was compressed (and smooth and shiny) for years, slide like butter, if you could hang, you could get 10' without even trying; seeing sparks from bearings coming through was rad.

masturskater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
any tips for 360 powerslides? I try to do them backside but I always have to pivot the last 180.
First I got bs powerslide 180s down (is that what it's called?).

For a 360 powerslide lead with the head and the shoulders. I like to think for a bs 360 powerslide I starting powerslide later than I would for a 180. So I'd wind up for a bs 360 and spin my upper torso but I Won't initiate the powerslide until I'm looking behind me. Then hopefully you got enough weight and commitment into it to power through the complete rotation and your feet will follow.

That being said....I'm not good at them, but I like'm a lot. Helps me work on my bs 360s too.

Lasernaut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
Not sure if it's my shit-tacular skills but, do looser/faster responding trucks affect your slide? Recently picked up some Thunders and I can't seem to get the same slide I had on Indys
I found powerslides easier as I gradually loosened my trucks. Maybe it has something to do with looser trucks spreading out and centralising your direction? Ie. in FS powerslides, since you keep your weight on your heels, this will happen, so why not welcome it?
Tighter trucks, on the other hand, would then have a tendency to throw you to either side.

Maybe I am rambling, I am pretty tired. This is my theory, though.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
I think looser trucks would help you powerslide a bit, just because when I'm turning really hard it's really easy to slip into a powerslide. Does that make sense?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
I need a more interesting set of wheels. Ones that will screech when I slide. My main setup has larger wheels and they're made for transition, so they're a bit softer and just won't screech on asphalt. So I feel like I'm just slipping no matter how hard I slide. Hopefully I'll be able to get a set of F4s as soon as times get better. My back foot always slips if I'm trying backside... I can only get them if I'm making a curve. Like a real curve, I just can't bullshit myself into carving frontside then turning. Not with force.

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 01:18:45 AM »
I need a more interesting set of wheels. Ones that will screech when I slide. My main setup has larger wheels and they're made for transition, so they're a bit softer and just won't screech on asphalt. So I feel like I'm just slipping no matter how hard I slide. Hopefully I'll be able to get a set of F4s as soon as times get better. My back foot always slips if I'm trying backside... I can only get them if I'm making a curve. Like a real curve, I just can't bullshit myself into carving frontside then turning. Not with force.

With stfs or f4 101's and they get so much easier. Tried to powerslides some classics this week and it was insanely hard!

I think looser trucks help because they make it easier to fully commit to putting all of your weight into the slide. With tight ones you're more likely to not go all the way and catch and fly forward/backward.