Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 25053 times)

yungapplejuice

Jazz
« on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »
Any jazz fans here ? Would love a space to share tunes ~
Traditional + modern jazz of all eras / styles : bossas , ballads , blues , big band , bop etc (fusion as well , there's room for it all !)

*I dug five pages deep - apologies if abp

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »

All mandatory listening.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »

Huge Pat Martino fan

jeez louise he's burnin' on that rhythm changes take . . .

All mandatory listening.

definitely all gems !

been trying to figure out voicings for this tune :

Boss been on my ass for studying charts on the clock the past week -.-'

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
Some great ones already posted

The Bad Plus has been one of my favorites for about a decade now

Grind King Rims

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
I've been listening to Bill Evans nonstop at work. His album Interplay is a new favourite.
My taste in jazz is pretty entry level and uninformed, but I love it.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »
I've been listening to Bill Evans nonstop at work. His album Interplay is a new favourite.
My taste in jazz is pretty entry level and uninformed, but I love it.

Don't worry about any jazz snobs , they are the worst . Jazz is (if not one of) the most American art forms , it's for everyone to share and enjoy !

Evans usually played in a trio format so it's sweet to hear him as bandleader of a quintet , and Interplay definitely has an all star lineup . If you haven't already , check out his albums Waltz for Debby and Portrait in Jazz (his OG trio) from Riverside Recordings .

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
Love Yusef Lateef and Juju

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:03:22 AM »
I really like chet baker. (His trumpet playing not his singing). His trumpet somehow sounds much softer than most other famous players.

I studied classic trumpet playing for awhile during high school. I have recently picked it up again trying to teach myself some jazz with notes from the library and some help from youtube.

So fare I have enjoyed practicing classic bossa nova (mostly jobim), duke ellington (solitude, satin doll), chet baker/Gershwin (summertime), ain't misbehavin' (fats waller). There are some good tutorials on youtube with transcriptions of the music. I've also tried to improvise abit, but since I play alone that hasn't really been that amazing.

Does anyone else play jazz? What are some of your favorite tunes to play?

yungapplejuice

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »

dope !

I grew up playing classical as well (piano) for years , then a bit of trumpet in jHS/HS . Recently took the white sheet off my piano and moved/tuned it - been learning jazz ever since . Finishing up this comp word lit degree (which I will turn into a paper airplane) while debating about going back to uni for jazz piano performance (if I can get my sight reading up to speed) within a year or two . have tons of friends who gig actively in the scene but , they've either been playing jazz forever or are currently enrolled in a program . None of the legends really went to school - it wasn't taken seriously or readily available until recently , but I think in my situation having private lessons and a group of dedicated musicians constantly around you is an environment that would facilitate what I want to do in my future .

Right now , I'm using an assortment of texts (physical/online) to sharpen my skills . Definitely grab a real book , I researched a couple different lists of tunes from reputable sources and compiled a list of the tunes that repeatedly pop up (along with going to friends' shows in and out of uni) to figure out my bag of tunes for jazz . Right now focusing on blues/ballads/bossas and slowly checking out rhythm changes and bebop . Jazz is a lifetime deal , work on your directed studies everyday - private teacher/applied music program/solo , it don't matter . Buddhism says it takes 10,000 hours to become a master of any skill/art , clock in some time !

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:15:51 PM by yungapplejuice »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
I love jazz...when it's good. I'm still hoping Seb Carayol can find the full soundtrack from A Visual Sound someday.

Among many others, I think BADBADNOTGOOD is excellent:

I'm also a huge fan of Vince Guaraldi:

If anyone has some recommendations for fast jazz please mention them.

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
I love jazz...when it's good. I'm still hoping Seb Carayol can find the full soundtrack from A Visual Sound someday.

Among many others, I think BADBADNOTGOOD is excellent:

I'm also a huge fan of Vince Guaraldi:

If anyone has some recommendations for fast jazz please mention them.

GREAT picks

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »
I definitely like jazz, although I tend to go towards the more free jazz/experimental side.  some of my favorites:

hands down my favorite free jazz/noise album-

i like the album these guys did but this is cool live footage:

Jordick

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 04:10:54 PM »
Can't post it on mobile but I recommend all of you to listen to west coast jazz by Stan Getz

Grind King Rims

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:22 AM »
Can't post it on mobile but I recommend all of you to listen to west coast jazz by Stan Getz

Good shout, I have this one playing in the shop at the moment.
I love Stan Getz, and I'm enjoying this but I suspect I wouldn't have listened to this one of my own accord, I've had a bit of a stigma towards Jazz Legends newer albums after I tried to listen to a few of Miles Davis's later albums.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 04:55:43 AM »

was going to post this. for me its more wine and cheese kind of jazz for chilling out with my wife.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 06:01:37 AM »
I used to listen to a lot of jazz, mostly bebop and hardbop, but sort of lost interest a long time ago. From contemporary artist, I still listen to the Tied & Tickled Trio regularly.

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
I used to listen to a lot of jazz, mostly bebop and hardbop, but sort of lost interest a long time ago. From contemporary artist, I still listen to the Tied & Tickled Trio regularly.

This is good stuff. And so is Stan Getz's West Coast album, I only knew Girl From Ipanema.

GREAT picks
Thank you, sir!

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 02:31:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dope !

I grew up playing classical as well (piano) for years , then a bit of trumpet in jHS/HS . Recently took the white sheet off my piano and moved/tuned it - been learning jazz ever since . Finishing up this comp word lit degree (which I will turn into a paper airplane) while debating about going back to uni for jazz piano performance (if I can get my sight reading up to speed) within a year or two . have tons of friends who gig actively in the scene but , they've either been playing jazz forever or are currently enrolled in a program . None of the legends really went to school - it wasn't taken seriously or readily available until recently , but I think in my situation having private lessons and a group of dedicated musicians constantly around you is an environment that would facilitate what I want to do in my future .

Right now , I'm using an assortment of texts (physical/online) to sharpen my skills . Definitely grab a real book , I researched a couple different lists of tunes from reputable sources and compiled a list of the tunes that repeatedly pop up (along with going to friends' shows in and out of uni) to figure out my bag of tunes for jazz . Right now focusing on blues/ballads/bossas and slowly checking out rhythm changes and bebop . Jazz is a lifetime deal , work on your directed studies everyday - private teacher/applied music program/solo , it don't matter . Buddhism says it takes 10,000 hours to become a master of any skill/art , clock in some time !

Yeah, it is alot of work. I have started taking private lessons recently and the teacher has me working on the very baiscs for now: breathing and keeping a steady beat. Apperently have been slacking practicing those. It is pretty hard focusing on those basics, when I would really rather just play however I feel. I have been getting more and more obsessed though. I find myself humming tunes while taking a piss in half sleep at nights.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »
I went to a jazz guitar masterclass a little while ago. It was interesting, I bought the dude's book. Looking forward to getting into more jazz guitar, when I have the time.

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
~why fuck yes~

any Dixieland nerds in the motherfucking building?

stabbedbywiggers

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
Some cool arab jazz shit, I dunno how you would classify it.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
Jaco anyone??

yungapplejuice

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
Jaco anyone??

awww fuck yea !! thank you for sharing , was a first time listen for me - haven't heard enough of post-weather report jaco !

here's a tune he wrote for cannonball ~

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 12:11:50 AM »
This randomly popped up on my YouTube recs today, pretty good

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 03:07:08 AM »
Aw yiss a jazz thread!
I prefer attending and listening live performances. It is just another feeling and my audio equipment is basic.

One of my recent discoveries was this:

I love the cover art and imagining the concept of dudes in middle of desert catching shelter behind cactus to listen to band playing.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
That album and album cover are sweet. Good post.

The only other Latin jazz stuff I've ever checked out has been Sketches of Spain, bossa nova stuff like Getz/Gilberto's album, or Astor Piazzolla, but I dig all of it.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Jaco anyone??

[close]

awww fuck yea !! thank you for sharing , was a first time listen for me - haven't heard enough of post-weather report jaco !

here's a tune he wrote for cannonball ~

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it! It's kinda crazy how old cannonball is..

Side note- do you have to embed videos on here now? Used to be just a simple C+P

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
Been listening to Vince Guaraldi last days, discovered thanks to Adam Abbas post.

Vince's Peanuts Christmas songs fit very well the mood.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
This randomly popped up on my YouTube recs today, pretty good

Check this one out
He passed away last year , RIP~

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
smoked some hash and threw on that mellow dreams album, real nice vibes, nice one yungapplejuice