Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 25037 times)

yungapplejuice

Re: Jazz
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
smoked some hash and threw on that mellow dreams album, real nice vibes, nice one yungapplejuice

eyyy thx ! just finished burnin a jazz cigarette myself mayn

Grind King Rims

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
Mildly hungover and enjoying that Mellow Dreams in the library. Real smooth.

Jordick

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 10:35:45 PM »
It's not jazz per-se, but I know everyone here will enjoy it.
Mort Garson[Plantasia] 1976 Full Album

Andrefosho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
Yo yungapplejuice Thank you for introducing me to Mr. Ryo.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
cool synths in that plantasia

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4jDRcfoasU

yungapplejuice

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
Yo yungapplejuice Thank you for introducing me to Mr. Ryo.

No problem dude . My browser translator is a piece of shit or else I'd copy/paste a proper transcription of this lil bio written by Slowboat Jazz Club - his old stomping grounds . http://www.jazz-slowboat.jp/ryo-Fukui/

Story goes Ryo caught wind of jazz during its decline in the 70s and was so hyped by what he heard that he shut himself away from the world for 5/6 years , returning from his shed to drop Scenery + Mellow Dreams . Apparently he just disappeared after dropping those albums . Inspiration for days

p.s. That plantasia stuff is dope
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:00:56 AM by yungapplejuice »

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
Just discovered Kamasi Washington. Feel like a fool for sleeping on this stuff...anyone else a fan?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NFS8WXfCI

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
Loving the Kamasi and Ryo, never heard either before!

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »
Someone mentioned "A Visual Sound" & this seems like a good thread to remind everyone of THIS thread:

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=33332.msg2227876#msg2227876

The Google Drive link on page 4 has been updated & is working fine:

"Ululation"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIwXWB6dc17dFVtNDlZOHBDdUk/view?usp=sharing

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
Just discovered Kamasi Washington. Feel like a fool for sleeping on this stuff...anyone else a fan?

I'm definitely a fan too. His release was the only physical CD I actually bought in a couple of years. Basically, he released three albums at once, and it's so refreshing that somebody really knows how to play an instrument with a band and creates his own sound these days...
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

yungapplejuice

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »

I've been blowing it by sleeping on Kamasi . I've known about him cuz of his label mate on brainfeeder (thundercat) , but never properly listened in . I don't wanna blow it anymore so I'll check back in here once I listen to him (and my bushings arrive)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 03:50:47 PM »
Someone mentioned "A Visual Sound" & this seems like a good thread to remind everyone of THIS thread:

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=33332.msg2227876#msg2227876

The Google Drive link on page 4 has been updated & is working fine

Such a rollercoaster of a thread, haha. Holy shit, thanks so much for the link Getty, I'm listening to the jazz as I type. And Seb, if you're reading, I sincerely hope that Ululation II comes to light someday. Why is Highlyann so elusive? She's like the female Gino.

Charles Bronson

• Rep: 1
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
Lots of good stuff up in here, I'm hyped that Machine Gun is on the first page because that record is HEAVY. I've been fucking with these records really hard lately:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxPMKgY_8qk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikRSpQDr6I
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:59:38 PM by Charles Bronson »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
I've been listening to Bill Evans nonstop at work. His album Interplay is a new favourite.
My taste in jazz is pretty entry level and uninformed, but I love it.
Oh man also just remembered this Bill Evans interview/show, it's amazing
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegkLcaujIA

yungapplejuice

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been listening to Bill Evans nonstop at work. His album Interplay is a new favourite.
My taste in jazz is pretty entry level and uninformed, but I love it.
[close]
Oh man also just remembered this Bill Evans interview/show, it's amazing
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegkLcaujIA

Thank you so much for this interview , 1st time listen for me .

Watched some live footy of Kamasi , he's dope . Glad we got some cool cats holding down the current scene . I'll post some more tunes soon  

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:16:15 PM by yungapplejuice »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 07:08:41 AM »
that lego set is amazing, as is that Julian Lage,
as a Canadian I feel I'd be remissed if i didnt post any Lenny Breau

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhGjQ3QPydA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06FvJgk52I

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:12:14 AM by perverted super otaku! »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
So nice

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx0uvCBu7TU

This is absolutely ridiculous, hahaha. The fucking size of his drum kit, and the amount of keyboards... I can dig it though. What's he using for a plectrum? It's weird to see them all wailing away on their instruments and then hear a relatively mellow recording. I don't like the bits when he's more or less doing scale exercises, but I like the main melody and a lot of his guitar solo. I still really want to get more into jazz guitar but I don't know how or where to start.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 06:59:43 AM »
Expand Quote

This is absolutely ridiculous, hahaha. The fucking size of his drum kit, and the amount of keyboards... I can dig it though. What's he using for a plectrum? It's weird to see them all wailing away on their instruments and then hear a relatively mellow recording. I don't like the bits when he's more or less doing scale exercises, but I like the main melody and a lot of his guitar solo. I still really want to get more into jazz guitar but I don't know how or where to start.
Learn to read chord charts if you cant, you can get big books of jazz standards with charts for the changes/harmony and the melody is in notation, you can play a lot just jamming with the standards and riffing a bit, but more expansive improvisation requires a lot of theoretical knowledge, or you can just wing it, but with a base grounded in understanding it's easier to build off than just kind of rambling through it, obviously with a wide degree of variance for both

edit: unless you can already do all those things, I guess just learn more about jazz harmony

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:06:37 AM by perverted super otaku! »

yungapplejuice

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »
Expand Quote
And

-Learn your chords in all 12 keys going through the cycle of 4ths & practice the chords in 3 groups (C/F/Bb/Eb) (Ab/Db/Gb/B) (E/A/D/G) .
-Get the free metronome app , set to 4/4@60bpm and get the first chunk down (hold chord for whole note - 4 beats) , then work on the second & third groups until you have all three locked down in a row+on time (once you get them locked @ 60 hold the chords for less beats - 3, 2 or 1 beat) .

Chords
Maj 6th 1-3-5-6 (C-E-G-A)
Min 6th 1-b3-5-6 (C-Eb-G-A)
Maj 7th 1-3-5-7 (C-E-G-B)
MinMaj 7th 1-b3-5-7 (C-Eb-G-B)
Dom 7th 1-3-5-b7 (C-E-G-Bb)
Min 7th 1-b3-5-b7 (C-Eb-G-Bb)
HalfDim 7th 1-b3-b5-b7 (C-Eb-Gb-Bb)
Dim 7th 1-b3-b5-bb7 (C-Eb-Gb-A)
Aug 7th 1-3-#5-b7 (C-E-G#-Bb)

*C major scale (C D E F G A B=1 2 3 4 5 6 7)
*b=flat (half step down) #=sharp (half step up)

12 keys & 9 types = 108 chords (root position) . Eventually you want to do the same with every chords inversion [C6 first inversion (E-G-A-C)] in order to keep the changes sounding smooth , freeing up your fingers (no big leaps to the next chord) and ultimately enabling you to create you own chord voicings . When I practice this on piano I alternate between going up and down octaves to keep my hands from having to run up and down the keys and to stay outta the muddier octaves - assuming it's the same deal for the neck of a guitar .

Basically , getting all these chords down will allow you to easily* play progressions on some basic tunes after learning the chord symbols scribbled on charts . Check out Autumn Leaves or Tenor Madness , two cornerstone beginner jazz standards . After you get the chords down start picking out the melodies (with metronome&counting beats out loud) , then practice the chords/melody using different backing tracks on YouTube if you don't have access to someone who can comp the chords behind you .

*ease depends on how diligently you practice - the process of learning jazz is EXACTLY like learning skateboarding !

EDIT : To defeat boredom make up your own progressions after you find some chords you dig , try playing a ii-V-I in C (dmin7-Gdom7-Cmaj7)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:05:51 AM by yungapplejuice »

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »
This is one of my favorite records:
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKt7DTKyJU
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:38:52 PM by pinche gringo »

yungapplejuice

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
Erroll Garner plays Misty

erroll garner didn't know how to read music - his older siblings did , but he chose to play by ear . it's not fair . .

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Alright lads, time you pour yourselves a nice glass of scotch, get yourselves a pack of smokes and listen to this real late at night alone and contemplate life.

Dark/noir jazz from Germany.

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Nightwolf (Full Length)

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
Alright lads, time you pour yourselves a nice glass of scotch, get yourselves a pack of smokes and listen to this real late at night alone and contemplate life.

That was pretty tight.
Don't know if John Zorn counts, but fuck it:
Naked City - Naked City [Full Album]
And:
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity (full abum) (HD 1080p)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:17:56 PM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »

This is sick

yungapplejuice

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »
^indeed !

These are both kinda old . . .  ;) ~ first one's at Capitol Records in LA / second one at the Hip Hop Cultural Center in Harlem .

Robert Glasper/Derrick Hodge
Robert Glasper - Smells Like Teen Spirit (1 Mic 1 Take)

Robert Glasper/Derrick Hodge/Chris "Daddy" Dave
Robert Glasper, Derrick Hodge & Chris Dave Harlem 2008

Post Modern

• Rep: -4
  • Nothing is original.
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
A lot of heat in 2 pages, good job guys. I went "lemme show these niggaz what's up" like 4 times just to find out that someone already posted it.

Anyways, I'll post this album on here because we are skaters and all..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m3qOD-hhrQ
Tolerance is not a Sapiens trademark.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
I always wonder if Headhunters classify as jazz record - it's verrry funky.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
I always wonder if Headhunters classify as jazz record - it's verrry funky.

Jazz is an umbrella term . There's Jazz-blues and Blues-jazz , each fusion respectively utilizing more aspects of one genre over the other (jazz+blues is kind of a bad example since they're on some yin/yang type ish , so it all depends on who you're asking) . When I hear someone say they like jazz it's kinda like they just said they like sports . What kind of sports ?

Herbie's definitely one of the legends . He's clocked in thousands of hours of focused practice to master the "rules" , so he's allowed to break 'em (you can tell when someone's just regurgitating licks and doesn't have everything locked , similar to watching some street league dudes who can't ride tranny do awkward kickturns on the qp) . Herbie was a key part of many historically significant recordings/shows , and in his later years as a bandleader , started directing his energy and creative forces to push music into different directions (Headhunters/Rockit etc) . Headhunters has a hypnotic mix of funk/rock/soul but definitely still relies on some sweet jazz harmony/improvisation (listen to herbie's keyboard solos on chameleon) that every well-rounded musician has in the utility belt .

p.s. Digging into the etymology of the word "jazz" , you find that a lot of folks (researchers/historians) claim the term was coined by white folk (USA) and their blatant disregard for any musical achievements made by african-americans . The whites likened black music to masturbatory outbursts (jism/jizz) - hence the term jazz . I have a friend who just graduated from UCLA's department of ethnomusicology as a performance major , and refuses to call this music jazz . Instead he uses "BAM" (black american music) , and is convinced that anyone using the word jazz is a kook . . . I figure if Miles , Trane and all the legends present and active during it's heyday used the word "jazz" , it's a green light for the rest of us who grew up around their music .

p.p.s. this 1 pretty funky too
Jimmy Smith - Root Down (and Get It) - 1972
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:47:20 AM by yungapplejuice »

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »
Back to Herbie Hancock, although this'll be relevant to Euro pals... he'll be playing live at Pori Jazz festival in Finland, July 14.

So I'm trying to figure out a way how to get there. Tickets are still available.

http://porijazz.fi/en/artists/herbie-hancock

Anyone going actually?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:29:46 AM by BURRRPRINT »