Author Topic: I Can't 360 Flip  (Read 15880 times)

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
I Can't 360 Flip
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »

I just can't seem to get it. After 10 years of skating and 5 years of skating a lot I've sort of accepted i'll always be a transition guy, but goddamn it I want this fucking trick. I've tried all sorts of tricks and tips, and there have been a few that got me closer to my goal, but no matter what, I seem to have two main problems:

1. I flip the board perfectly but it lands a bit behind me, with my back foot on the middle of the deck and my front in front of the nose
2. I land with the board beneath my feet but upside down.

I kind of alternate between these two, with a few flubs in between.

I've dedicated my lunch breaks to learning this trick, so I'll be doing it a lot, leme hear your best advice, tips, trick tip videos, shit talking, whatever. Anything helps.

Note: I'm currently riding a 9" popsicle, but I don't think that should be a problem, as I've had the same 3flip issues on all sizes from 8 to 9. I can kickflip this thing just fine.

shit_for_brains

Re: I Can't 360 Flip
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:28:32 PM »
If it's landing behind you, you're jumping forward while doing it. When I do them all my back foot does is scoop, and my front foot tosses out the flick and points the board where I want it to go. You can really see what I'm talking about if you watch Kalis or BA do them in slo mo. Front foot is in control of the whole thing and you'll see their board come up to meet it. When you land on it but upside down, if it does a half flip you aren't flicking hard enough and if it's 1.5 flips you're flicking too hard (duh). That's down to where you place your front foot for the flick, higher on the board will flip slower/less and lower down will flip faster/more.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »
I'm having the exact same issue as OP, that and sometimes it lands right in front of me but I can't get my front foot on in time. I'll take your advice shit_for_brains and see what happens

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

shit_for_brains

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
I'm having the exact same issue as OP, that and sometimes it lands right in front of me but I can't get my front foot on in time. I'll take your advice shit_for_brains and see what happens

Not getting your front foot on means you're probably pivoting your hips or opening your shoulders up after you pop. Do you land with kind of wide posture when that happens?

swag nollies

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
Landed one along time ago up a nice big euro gap. Perfect flip, rotational angle, BAM, front foot catch that shit, BAM, land that shit perfect.

Never tried one again, it will never feel as good as that one. But euro gaps or ramps help me, I can get hang time and actually see what my bodys doing. And going up at an angle it feels more natural for your front foot and for the board to come up to it.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not getting your front foot on means you're probably pivoting your hips or opening your shoulders up after you pop. Do you land with kind of wide posture when that happens?
Sort of yeah, I have a bad habit turning everything a little frontside so I always have to consciously keep my shoulders straight and shit

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »
it's all in the scoop. figure that out and you'll get it.

dinosaur

• Rep: 7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 06:44:03 AM »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
ive landed this trick 3 times in my life. i cant get the flip right. i can either get it to spin all the way round with no flip at all, or get it to flip, but have the board only spin 270. it really feels like each foot is working against the other when i try.

my problem is my front foot i think. ive had a lot of people tell me its all in the scoop, and i can scoop the hell out of it, but it just does a 3 shuv. if i try a 3 shuv on purpose, it flips half way though.

whats kind of funny is that my nephew has a penny board and i can 360 flip pretty easily on that. 1-3 tries and ill get one.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »
'I can't 360 Flip'

swag nollies

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 01:04:26 PM »
360 flips are for jocks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
I'm just starting to get these now and I think the key is the toe hook.....it almost gets under the tail in the corner and turns the board upward....

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »
Yup. Gorilla grip that back corner with your toes and don't forget to at least kick out your front foot. I mob a lot, but once I can get that front foot moving, the stars align and I land a lottery flip.

TEMP-GNAR

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »
The obvious it's all in the back foot but also what's overlooked is weight distribution. There's a sweet spot that you will just feel once you get it. Also go faster.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
The obvious it's all in the back foot but also what's overlooked is weight distribution. There's a sweet spot that you will just feel once you get it. Also go faster.
More weight on the front foot or back?

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
i suck dog balls at 3 flips but even my foolish ass knows it's all in the scoop son, all in the scoop

shark tits

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
I have em good then I loose em. It's cyclical like the moon & women's periods. When I'm having troubles I can usually turn around & do em fakie (less scoop & more of a pop shove it pop) then ride away backwards.
After a day/wk/whatever they'll be hitting regular again. So don't stress if someone else checked 360 flip out the library, just read a similar book til they return it

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
I have em good then I loose em. It's cyclical like the moon & women's periods. When I'm having troubles I can usually turn around & do em fakie (less scoop & more of a pop shove it pop) then ride away backwards.
After a day/wk/whatever they'll be hitting regular again. So don't stress if someone else checked 360 flip out the library, just read a similar book til they return it
this. i had a long period of shitty treflips with the board hitting the ground mid-rotation, couldn't pop them more, and now they're back and feel even greater since i ride 149s...mystic stuff...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 12:16:22 PM »
I stopped doing this trick after seeing way too many stank leg yo flippers...i learned it by getting my 360 shove its then adding the flick from my kickflips

shit_for_brains

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
i suck dog balls at 3 flips but even my foolish ass knows it's all in the scoop son, all in the scoop

I'm fantastic at them and I know it's not all in the scoop.

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still can't get them, but I was messing around today and got really close when I put the most of my weight (like a 70/30 distribution, maybe more) over my back leg and crouched towards the left a little (I'm goofy). It seemed to help with my problem of either landing on the nose or with my right foot off to the side.

Is that right or was I just getting lucky?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »
it's mostly in the scoop, but the front foot applies pressure, guides/flips the board, and catches it. common error with the backfoot is to (regular footed) scoop 9 o'clock. you need to scoop 7 o'clock. this along with 50/50 weight distribution keeps the board under you instead of behind. it also pops the board up to that front foot like a pop shove.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I still can't get them, but I was messing around today and got really close when I put the most of my weight (like a 70/30 distribution, maybe more) over my back leg and crouched towards the left a little (I'm goofy). It seemed to help with my problem of either landing on the nose or with my right foot off to the side.

Is that right or was I just getting lucky?

I'm just realizing I chronically lean forward on everything.....so I lean back.....this is why they are easier to flip fakie too....you're weight is already back....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 09:32:50 PM »
I've only landed 3. Two on flat, one off a long/tall three set.

Can kickflip.
Can variel flip.
Can 360 shuv/pop shuv.

All the ingredients are there.

From everything I've read/watched, keep the shoulders parallel, stay centered and it's all in the rear foot and the scoop.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »
scoop flick catch BANG

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
scoop flick catch BANG

so thaaaaaat the secret. this whole time i was forgetting the BANG!

shit_for_brains

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »
How's that "it's all the back foot I swear" going for all you guys who can't do them but continue to bang your head against the wall because it isn't all in the back foot and that's why you can't do them?

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 04:00:39 PM »
Expand Quote
scoop flick catch BANG
[close]

so thaaaaaat the secret. this whole time i was forgetting the BANG!

its all in the BANG bro(s)

Eric ricks

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »
How's that "it's all the back foot I swear" going for all you guys who can't do them but continue to bang your head against the wall because it isn't all in the back foot and that's why you can't do them?

Thats the easy way.

Proper 360 flips I ride so it spins a lil more than 360. And the pop is more like popping a high pop shove but a faster motion.

If anyone is wondering what im talking about watch kakis 360 flips. 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »

My last couple sessions I've thought about this and have actually been landing 360 flips better, so thanks!