Author Topic: Porto, Portugal  (Read 5903 times)

Andrefosho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
Porto, Portugal
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
I'm going to Porto for one week in the end of August and I am tempted to take my skateboard. It'll be a business trip so I don't know how much spare time I'll have, but I hope I could get at least one cruise or session.

How is Porto for skating? The Hostel I am planning to stay at will be about 5 km form my destination (Faculty of Engineering, Porto University), and I am thinking, maybe I can make this commute by skating.

yukaton

• Rep: 7
Re: Porto, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:01 AM »
Take it there is some cool spots like this one If its anything like Lisbon the streets are pretty shit to skate on but the spots area great. http://www.skhateyou.com/spots/Porto/porto.html

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »
And make sure you get yourself one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesinha

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »
Oh my god my mouth is already watering...  :o :o :o
I have a mission.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
That's the one that I ate. I wish I could remember the name of the place and what street it was on, but you should be fine just searching one out for yourself.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

DonSimon

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Francesinhas are the best! You should also try to get some pastels de nata (sold at almost every bakery, caf?, whatsoever). Spotwise you should definatly check out Casa da Musica. It looks like it was made for skating, but it wasn't! And the coolest thing is you won't get kicked out. You can take the metro to get there, there's a stop also called Casa da Musica. I think it's the purple line (the one that also goes to the airport). Near Casa da Musica there's a hubba spot, like a quater into a hubba. But that one is really rough! Just ask the locals at Casa da Musica, they will give you directions. If you like ledges you can go to Praca dos Leoes. It's near the Sao Bento trainstation. (I think there's a tourist info if you need directions from there). Close to that spot there's also some plaza like thing, with more ledges. But it's not too big, so don't expect Love Park or something. Then you also got a fun DIY spot near to the Boavista football stadium. But that's quite hidden, so if you wanna go there you should ask locals. If you need a skate shop go to Kate. Those guys can also help you with spots and directions. Streets are like Lisbon (or almost everywhere in Portugal) pretty rough. But near Sao Bento there's some stuff you could bomb. But I think this will only be possible in the evening hours

Damn, hope this didn't come too late...

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
Thank you, DonSimon, for info.

Well, I'm already in Porto. It is an amazing city. I'd like to quote TX on this - to me Porto is crazy like.  ;D

Unfortunately I couldn't bring my board due to airline restrictions, items larger than 50 centimeters aren't allowed on board and need to be transported as special luggage and required extra fee. As I am staying only for a week, I didn't want to bring a large luggage case, and nonetheless, the largest luggage case I could borrow didn't even fit a skateboard. Went to the skateshop, met the owner (I suppose), really cool guy, helpful, pointed all the spots in the map, also the DIY spot. Showed me some insta photos and videos of the place - blew my mind. Found out Porto doesn't have any good skateparks, they only skate street.

Tomorrow I'm planning tho visit Casa Da Musica, and maybe get to the spots at the beach.

Had the Francesinha yesterday for dinner. I had it at about 19:00, at 22:00 my stomach felt still full. I think I'll eat another one this week.

Anyway, I recommend anyone to visit Porto, it is an amazing city.

DonSimon

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:03 AM »
The beach spots are probably the ones in Matosinhos? That's also good just to hang out. I can also recommand to get some Oporto wine at the opposite side of the Douro river. You'll have a great view of Porto from there!

It's a pity you don't have more time over there. There's some more cool stuff in the surroundings of Porto.

It seems good skateparks in Portugal are only in the smaller cities or villages. In the cities it's more or less only street skating. Lisbon has the Expo Park, but besides the location itself I don't really like it.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »
Thank you, DonSimon, for info.

Well, I'm already in Porto. It is an amazing city. I'd like to quote TX on this - to me Porto is crazy like.  ;D

Unfortunately I couldn't bring my board due to airline restrictions, items larger than 50 centimeters aren't allowed on board and need to be transported as special luggage and required extra fee. As I am staying only for a week, I didn't want to bring a large luggage case, and nonetheless, the largest luggage case I could borrow didn't even fit a skateboard. Went to the skateshop, met the owner (I suppose), really cool guy, helpful, pointed all the spots in the map, also the DIY spot. Showed me some insta photos and videos of the place - blew my mind. Found out Porto doesn't have any good skateparks, they only skate street.

Tomorrow I'm planning tho visit Casa Da Musica, and maybe get to the spots at the beach.

Had the Francesinha yesterday for dinner. I had it at about 19:00, at 22:00 my stomach felt still full. I think I'll eat another one this week.

Anyway, I recommend anyone to visit Porto, it is an amazing city.

I'm not from porto... but i live like 30 mins by car... Its a really good city to skate and to visit! hope you enjoy it! Eat all the "francesinhas" while you can!  ;D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »
Success! I was skating at Porto.

Went by foot to Casa Da Musica today. I was there at about 21:00, and there were only two guys skating. Came up to them, introduced myself, asked if I could do a lap on one of their boards. I don't know why I wasn't scared to approach them, I guess the urge to skate overcame the fear, because I'm a bit shy by nature. Skateboarding is amazing, like, I feel instantly connected with people I have never met before. Crazy.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 03:54:10 AM »
Success! I was skating at Porto.

Went by foot to Casa Da Musica today. I was there at about 21:00, and there were only two guys skating. Came up to them, introduced myself, asked if I could do a lap on one of their boards. I don't know why I wasn't scared to approach them, I guess the urge to skate overcame the fear, because I'm a bit shy by nature. Skateboarding is amazing, like, I feel instantly connected with people I have never met before. Crazy.

Yeah! It's really amazing... I always end up talking a lot with people i dont even know the name just because they are skaters! And people in Porto are really humble so you dont have to worry about talking to them or asking to skate a bit!  ;)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »

Hey Pals

Going to Porto soon (and Lisbon as well). I'm bringing my board so I have some specific questions for the locals.

Is Casa de Musica still skateable? Good places to get Francesinhas?  8)

Also, does anyone know where this ledge spot is and if it's still skateable? I'm pretty sure that it's not actually in Porto.

(at 2:17)

I'm also wondering where the spots at 2:00 and 3:00 respectively in this clip are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »
I don't remember where this place was, but these things are amazing.