Author Topic: What (in your opinion) is unique about skateboarding?  (Read 3161 times)

Zimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
What (in your opinion) is unique about skateboarding?
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
We've all heard people say that skating is "different", that there's some kind of noble quality in learning to competently pilot a piece of wood with wheels. What sets skateboarding apart from other sports and arts?

I used to be completely obsessed with mountain biking, so I know that whole world pretty well. One of the interesting things I've heard from the MTB community is that skate vids are the gold standard for action sports visuals. There's this idea that good skating (filmed right) is the greatest showcase for human athleticism/creativity/novelty/etc.. But it can't just be because of the people who film and edit, there's something about skating that's intrinsically valuable, even though society as a whole might not see it that way.

Some things I think are unique:

-A skateboard rides a fine line of almost being a vehicle, but its more of an addition to the body.. that you're not connected to in any way. There's no other tool or object that people use like that. You can essentially take a skateboard anywhere, since it can fit in the same space as your body, you're only limited by suitable terrain and uncool people.

-It makes you use your body in a way that's completely unnatural, but intuitive at the same time. The skills needed to control your board with your feet are totally specialized, but once you figure it out it's more natural than walking.

I'm not even touching on all the ways the subculture is unique, there's a lot that could go into this methinks.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: What (in your opinion) is unique about skateboarding?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
The use of everything that is available on the streets, and how.

Sure BMX dudes and rollerblades use the streets too, but their options (as far as tricks go) are way more limited.

Zimmer

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »
Another thing I could add: Skating is similar to the guitar or other musical instruments in that you have to suck for a good long while before you can really start to experience what it has to offer. The difference is that with the guitar you get sore fingers and frustration, in skating you get broken bones, concussions, bleeding, and pain.

There's always a distinction between people who just "ride a skateboard" and people who skate. Bombing hills, power sliding, learning flips, trying to glide or slide on things, ollies/nollies, even just pushing and carving, is just like learning songs and different styles of music. Not everyone will try and play the same things, some will just mash on the thing and see what happens (fancy lads).. But all of it involves destruction, risk, and injury.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
The way it locks people to their youths for better or worse.

Zimmer

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »

It makes me fear aging. I'm 27. For now, skating just makes me eccentric. In 10 years, it'll seem odd unless I'm MJ. At 47 I'll be a weirdo. I don't want to stop skating, and it's definitely kept my youthful mindset alive. Sitting on a sidewalk with a 40oz is the way to be.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »

Does it lock you to your youth or does it attract people who refuse to "grow up"?
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Zimmer

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
Another one: Deck graphics! Is there anything else where the equipment you use can also be a canvas for cool art? You're also expected to deface it, but most of us put at least one on the wall anyways.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:32:01 AM by Zimmer »

bo golden

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It makes me fear aging. I'm 27. For now, skating just makes me eccentric. In 10 years, it'll seem odd unless I'm MJ. At 47 I'll be a weirdo. I don't want to stop skating, and it's definitely kept my youthful mindset alive. Sitting on a sidewalk with a 40oz is the way to be.

You'll probably think differently about that statement in 10 years.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:03:04 PM »
Unlike other sports, skateboarders probably can't rape someone and get away with it.

Zimmer

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm exaggerating! Its more about the mindset than the alcohol consumption, even sober, sitting down on the sidewalk all sweaty brings me right back to 2004.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
Having done my fair share of team sports, an interesting thing about skateboarding to me is the duality of the individual and the community. At it's core it's an individual activity, but there's always the crew, the crowd, the community, etc. The way that dynamic works, and somehow weans out masculine bullshit is quite special. And before anyone starts on all the cherry-picked hyper-masculine examples in skateboarding, just think of how it compares to any team sport.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
I'm 20 and in college, at this point used to girls ignoring me after I say I skate.

As to add on for the topic, the whole anti-jock mindset.
Sure big name brands are making money out of skating but, I still find it funny when my friend kooks out frat kids.

Shit's mad fun even if your back is killing you  
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

jomeara1

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
The way we perceive our surroundings.  When we see a random stair set, we immediately try to think of tricks that would look good down it.  The typical average person would just look at it as just a stair set.  Same with ledges, grass gaps, curbs, rails, w.e.  We will always have that mindset because skateboarding is just drilled into our heads.  Similar to music, when we listen to a song we try to think of tricks that would go along with the song, like an imaginary video part (at least I do sometimes).  

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
I'll probably say this wrong...

In most other subjective or judged sports/activities, success is often measured by how often you accomplish something. Like, I don't know, a figure skating routine how good you are is how you can perfect the same moves/routines 99 out of 100 times. Meanwhile, success in skateboarding is often (maybe not always) about how you've battled that trick or that line 99 times to finally get it how you want that 100th time.

bo golden

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm exaggerating! Its more about the mindset than the alcohol consumption, even sober, sitting down on the sidewalk all sweaty brings me right back to 2004.

haha.  okay, cool.  i feel you on that!

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
Nothings unique about skating at all. Just because you dye your hair blue and attend protests doesn't make you special. If I hear one more quack go on about double gazelle flips or dolphins I'll consider all skaters cunts.

Zimmer

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »
Nothings unique about skating at all. Just because you dye your hair blue and attend protests doesn't make you special. If I hear one more quack go on about double gazelle flips or dolphins I'll consider all skaters cunts.

How did you know I used to dye my hair blue :o That was 15 years ago!

scaryghoul

• Rep: -8
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
showcases the fine motor skills that separate us from other creatures on earth in a really punk kind of way. great apes on wooden planks breaking bones, keeping our worried brains occupied

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 07:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does it lock you to your youth or does it attract people who refuse to "grow up"?
I think both. Thought it doesn't just attract people who refuse to grow up.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 07:37:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i work fulltime and skating helps me balance work/life shit. im 30 and i know a lot of people who are bored with life and i feel skating really helps me have something to look forward to.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Zimmer

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

i work fulltime and skating helps me balance work/life shit. im 30 and i know a lot of people who are bored with life and i feel skating really helps me have something to look forward to.

I feel you on that one. I work at a grocery store, so you could imagine what that's like. Skating is the only thing (besides drugs) that lets me totally forget everything else in life. As long as its not too windy, I have some money for a coffee, and my bearings are spinning right, the world is pretty cool for a few hours.

We all need a vacation now and then.

TEMP-GNAR

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »
The way we perceive our surroundings.  When we see a random stair set, we immediately try to think of tricks that would look good down it.  The typical average person would just look at it as just a stair set.  Same with ledges, grass gaps, curbs, rails, w.e.  We will always have that mindset because skateboarding is just drilled into our heads.  Similar to music, when we listen to a song we try to think of tricks that would go along with the song, like an imaginary video part (at least I do sometimes).  

This.  Also Johnny has become one of my favorite posters. Dude is always so genuine. Reminds me of abudabi without all the terribleness

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just move to SF. Lurk the TL/Mission. You'll fit right in.

Zimmer

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just move to SF. Lurk the TL/Mission. You'll fit right in.

Most likely I'm gonna move somewhere special in the next 10-20 years. Right now my money is on spain, I heard too many good things about it. That or iceland, or some other nordic country.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 10:06:46 PM »
Most of the guys I rode bmx with in the early '80s transitioned to skateboarding by '84. Lance Mountain exposed us to new types of skating in the first Powell video other than pools and ditches (we still had a hard time grasping the idea of "street style" but were still excited about the possibilities).  I felt bikes were restrictive by their mechanical nature and it was difficult to develop a "style".

I first subscribed to Thrasher in 1985 and it was scary. Music was inextricably linked to skateboarding and Pushead turned us on to stuff before the internet age. Even Deluxe started off as a record label/distributor. Triple M (hub for all things Dogtown and Suicidal Tendencies) ads looked like they were designed from prison. Now it's comical, but Drunk Injuns looked like a bunch of homeless dudes wearing masks and it was unlike anything I had seen.

The most striking thing was the imagery. Deck graphics were and still are some of the best commercial visual art I have seen. GSD brought a 'zine vibe to TWS and would influence some of today's art stars. Dave Carson, TWS's first art director, would go on to bring the skate aesthetic to the masses. Skate photography is still leagues ahead of the best sports photos. Even a well-designed corporate ad looks old fashioned and out of place in a skate mag (it took Adidas over a decade to look right).

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 07:53:52 AM »
Another thing I could add: Skating is similar to the guitar or other musical instruments in that you have to suck for a good long while before you can really start to experience what it has to offer. The difference is that with the guitar you get sore fingers and frustration, in skating you get broken bones, concussions, bleeding, and pain.

There's always a distinction between people who just "ride a skateboard" and people who skate. Bombing hills, power sliding, learning flips, trying to glide or slide on things, ollies/nollies, even just pushing and carving, is just like learning songs and different styles of music. Not everyone will try and play the same things, some will just mash on the thing and see what happens (fancy lads).. But all of it involves destruction, risk, and injury.

someone said this before on a similar thread, but skating sort of teaches you that you can still have fun doing something even if you suck at it. i feel like a lot of people grow up and stop trying new things because theyre afraid that they wont be able to do it well.

i just started playing guitar this year at 28, and i totally suck, but its so much fun to have something new to learn and mess around with. ill probably never be in a band or record an album, but that doesnt mean i cant have fun bashing out some power chords on the couch at night. same thing with skating. i havent really progressed since i was in my early 20s, but i can still have a blast just skating a parking block. skating will always be fun no matter how good or bad i get.

i feel that skating also pushes a lot of people into artistic and creative activities too. skating is very DIY at its core, so naturally kids grow up making their own videos, designing their own graphics, shooting photos, building obsticles, ect. i never gave a shit about any kind of art until i got into skating and now i work in a creative field. you dont really see that in other "sports."

StinkyLarry

• Rep: -42
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »
The fact that there's no right way of doing things.

I love how in skateboarding sometimes I wanna see Lizard king clip the last stair instead of a perfect bolts landing, or sliding out and just barely hanging on to the landing, but sometimes I wan't to see Thiago lemos stomping the shit out of the highest ledge trick I've ever seen perfectly. AA said it, Dill said it, it's just about what looks good.

Further on that point its sick how different the same trick can be. We all know about Kalis's 3flip and Reynolds frontside flip or Penny's everything I really like that it's not what you do, but how you do it. Style is king.

jomeara1

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.  Also Johnny has become one of my favorite posters. Dude is always so genuine. Reminds me of abudabi without all the terribleness

Thanks!

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
tuck knee inverts

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 11:38:42 AM »
All the people that I meet that think Zumiez is the local shop.