Author Topic: Anyone here ever done WWOOF or a similar program?  (Read 1792 times)

shitcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Anyone here ever done WWOOF or a similar program?
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »
So I've decided to fuck off from my real life for a bit and get out and experience some new things. Anyone done WWOOF before or a similar foreign service type deal, I'm very into sustainable living so it seemed like a good fit? What's it like? Most importantly were you able to skate? I'm not all that picky about where I go to be honest, I just want to see some new sights and meet some new people, and ideally get to do some skating and nightlife.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Anyone here ever done WWOOF or a similar program?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »
Thought about it a few years ago but at the end of the day you're not getting paid.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:14:21 AM »
So I've decided to fuck off from my real life for a bit and get out and experience some new things. Anyone done WWOOF before or a similar foreign service type deal, I'm very into sustainable living so it seemed like a good fit? What's it like? Most importantly were you able to skate? I'm not all that picky about where I go to be honest, I just want to see some new sights and meet some new people, and ideally get to do some skating and nightlife.

i see the occasional "city year" person skating at one of the local parks. i also had a buddy teach english in hokkaido japan and he just snowboarded pretty much everyday.  he liked it. said the pay kind of sucked but got pretty good at riding, came home with a cute wife, and is now able to speak fluent japanese.  so it looks like a win.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Haven't done it but I know tonnes of people who have as well as a few WWOOF farm hosts.
Seems like a pretty chill way to travel especially if you're on a budget because essentially your meals/ lodging is free so the only cash you'll be spending is on your days off and/ or when you switch locations. As for being able to skate, that's going to come down to a lot of factors. Most WWOOF farms aren't in the middle of larger cities and thus you're looking at semi-rural locations at best. This might be fine in places like Australia where every town seems to have a skate park these days, but places like rural Japan are a very different story. If skating is high up on your list of priorities, perhaps something like a working holiday would be a better idea (assuming you come from a country that has working holidays)?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 11:25:17 PM »
I'd recommend checking out www.help.net

It has a variety of different work for board options around the world. Lots of different jobs- farms, homestay, different tourism stuff, childcare, English teacher etc.

You can view most of the site for free but a membership to get involved and see reviews is $35 for 2 years
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 11:30:40 PM »
i've done a few in the states, never overseas. some are more legit 'farms' than others. one in maui was far from self sufficient but i planted so many pineapple crowns that today it may turn a profit but we didn't have enough diverse crops to live off of.
worked on another in carnation, wa that was the dope show. worked a lot more hours [40ish vs 20ish] but it was a real farm, over 100 acres in a small town w/ hefeweizen beer in the dumpster!
i skated some mannies and rode bikes past emus while there. town wasn't much but then on the wkends we could borrow a work van, skate seattle.
it was dece but i was fulltime alcoholic.
read reviews i guess is the best cause huelo lookout in maui was a piece of shit but full circle in washington was the dope show but i only know in retrospect.
not much but the WA one paid $100 or so a month [dozen yrs ago] and i've found other work trades that paid in maui but not through wwoof.

DJSoftspot

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:54:33 AM »
Definitely do it. I've done some stays in Japan and S. Korea. They were really fun and usually you don't have to do much work. The hosts generally want to just hang out and show you things. It's a great, cheap way to travel and you get to meet some interesting people.

Now I'm getting into farming and sustainable living myself.

I'd go with workaway.info or helpx.net instead of WWOOF. Unless you really want to go to a particular country and farm, those websites have a cheaper membership. Plus some of the same WWOOF hosts are on those websites.