Author Topic: Who started FA?  (Read 12184 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: Who started FA?
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
I saw some Facebook video about a month ago and it was some language scholar saying fuck is one of the most important words in the english language because it can mean so many different things and is used in a variety of different contexts. I agree and disagree at the same time, but it's pretty interesting to think about it. Side note: I caught myself tripping last night think about Dylan passing. Strobeck's post this morning was amazing...rip...

thats just a bored professor who wanted to say "Fuck" a bunch of times in front of some students.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »
There's definitely a ton of interesting discussions and articles, relating to the use, role, etymology and status of curse words

At the same time, when teacher's sneak in a swear or two, either for shock value, or just to show "they're down", it's always hella lame

crobar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 07:14:02 PM »
Jason Dill and Mike Piscitelli

Started in 2000 by Dill and Mikey in NYC. It was just a that fucking awesome graphic t-shirt and an all-over print hoodie. They had connections in Japan and basically sold the shit out of it in Japan for years and it was really hard to get it in the USA. The whole idea was making fun of streetwear at the time cause the name is so incredibly stupid..

Mike is the silent partner. He's a pretty big fashion photographer. They took a hiatus for a minute and then were under freshjive distribution for a few seasons then broke off... once Alien failed dill and mikey decided to make it a skateboard brand and brought in AVE as a third partner. Now go tell your friends and pretend like you knew all along...

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »
I took a summer racial issues class taught by a 70 year old hippie white woman who dropped hard N's every class

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
Ha yeah I forgot they got really big in Japan to start things off

I think Jason Dill in 2016 is pretty annoying really, but he really has had a ridiculous career

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 8
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 12:43:31 AM »
just remember this from mind field

If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2016, 02:06:40 AM »
I took a summer racial issues class taught by a 70 year old hippie white woman who dropped hard N's every class
I took the same class?!

clicketyclack

• Rep: -5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 02:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Jason Dill and Mike Piscitelli
[close]

Started in 2000 by Dill and Mikey in NYC. It was just a that fucking awesome graphic t-shirt and an all-over print hoodie. They had connections in Japan and basically sold the shit out of it in Japan for years and it was really hard to get it in the USA. The whole idea was making fun of streetwear at the time cause the name is so incredibly stupid..

I am not sure what your definition of "sold the shit out of it in Japan" is; it wasn't exactly huge here at any point (maybe a few heads here and there...).

g.i.s.m.

• Rep: 34
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Even Zero was a clothing company first. What I'm saying is, if you run a skate team and the guy who doesn't quite fit in launches a clothing brand, either make friends with him, for a rainy day, or do him a favor and kick him out.
[close]

No it wasn't. I think you're thinking of Zero Sophisto.
[close]
No he's thinking of Zero, it was 100% a softgoods brand first.
[close]

actually, he IS kinda right.

Borrowing half a name from ex-sponsor Zero Sophisto clothing (with Owner Andy Howell?s blessing), Thomas approached Tum Yeto Owner Tod Swank with an idea for a company.

Read more at http://www.grindtv.com/transworld-business/products/from-zero-to-black-box/#FABwtcoDqy1WAqZL.99

[close]

From that article I learned that Innes was Matt Hensley clothing brand.  :D
[close]

yup, and it ruled.  i still have a few innes shirts. 
[close]
Innes did rule and the first person officially on zero was Wade Burkitt.
I had a red zero shirt (their first run no?) long before it was a board company. Those shirts were terribly timed though as you had to talked to every 3rd grunge fan boy/ girl who stopped you in the street and was like "you like the smashing pumpkins too?" >:(
kind of a reverse of non-sk8ers wearing thrasher shirts now... makes you think

lalala

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
just remember this from mind field

He's wearing one of those in the DVS video too if I recall correctly. So yeah, it's been around for a good while now

gripping the dick like a church girl giving her first hand job
head of the dick gonna be purple like my uncles face when he hung himself

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »
There was a huge falling out between Jamie and Andy Howell, basically pushing jamie into just using Zero for A clothing brand and turning it into a company shortly after.

Skate Mental was A blog/t shirt company, I ordered A zip up hood that took 2 months to get, to make up for it Brad threw in about 50 pizza pins. Brad rode for Ruby through Crailtap, and convinced them to do boards with the name skate mental that he owned.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Innes did rule and the first person officially on zero was Wade Burkitt.
I had a red zero shirt (their first run no?) long before it was a board company. Those shirts were terribly timed though as you had to talked to every 3rd grunge fan boy/ girl who stopped you in the street and was like "you like the smashing pumpkins too?" >:(
[close]

wasn't a stipulation of Wade getting on that Ellington be put on too? 
I'm not sure of the Ellington/ Wade connection so I think you might be talking about Scott Copalman no? They were from the same town if I recall?
Wade was from Sydney Australia and I doubt Ellington had been to Aus that early in his career. The chief had done multiple trips by that point and witnessed the legend that was Mr. Burkitt

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year