Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 51195 times)

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »
Real tempted to get this board for the save pile.

What the hell?  Are these out?  I have two of these when they did a small run in 2002ish.  Shape looks a little different.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
Real tempted to get this board for the save pile.

What the hell?  Are these out?  I have two of these when they did a small run in 2002ish.  Shape looks a little different.

http://jeremyklein.com/collections/frontpage/products/todd-congelliere-mug-shot-hand-screened-9-75-x-31-75

Tracer

• Rep: -65314
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
Indy hollow lights. changing trucks is a rough process for me so I'll wait until adding to the "grinding down to the axle" topic.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
thinking bout some mid-range bauers, I don't go hard enough for the real stiff ones

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
Drake Jones Western Edition deck when it comes out
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 25
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
Looking for Theeve titanium allen hardware but only finding philips available. Anyone know where to find them in allen or cheaper than $18?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:13:25 PM by MaitlandPrivado »

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
Contemplating the punk point nose. Who uses the better woodshop or does anyone have experience with either shape?

Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
Contemplating the punk point nose. Who uses the better woodshop or does anyone have experience with either shape?

the black label 8.68" jason adams one is awesome. you won't be dissapointed.
good come sausage

Trey Phillip

• Rep: 0
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »

the black label 8.68" jason adams one is awesome. you won't be dissapointed.
A nice round tail always works out good and if you haven't had Nhs wood before you might not like it. Id go for the label!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:55:57 PM by Trey Phillip »

crowned

• Rep: -1
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Going to buy my first board in ages, an 8", 14.25 wheelbase (I'm 6'3") from either Evisen, Northern CO, Zoo York, or 5boro (reading threads makes me think that South Central wood is the way to go).

Thunder trucks (deciding on solid or hollow trucks. Thoughts?)
Bones STF (deciding diameter... thoughts?)
Bones Swiss bearings (thoughts?)

I want to learn flip tricks and slides and a bit of park / bowl action, there are dozens of skateparks around here.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2017, 03:09:27 PM »
Going to buy my first board in ages, an 8", 14.25 wheelbase (I'm 6'3") from either Evisen, Northern CO, Zoo York, or 5boro (reading threads makes me think that South Central wood is the way to go).

I want to learn flip tricks and slides and a bit of park / bowl action, there are dozens of skateparks around here.
I like regular trucks. If you're getting Thunders I wouldn't go above 53mm wheels unless you buy some risers too. Bones Swiss or Hard Luck ceramics are both amazing bearings.

crowned

• Rep: -1
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »

I like regular trucks. If you're getting Thunders I wouldn't go above 53mm wheels unless you buy some risers too. Bones Swiss or Hard Luck ceramics are both amazing bearings.

Thanks.  Northern Co switched to Pennswood for whatever that's worth.  I'm leaning toward regular trucks and 52 or 53mm wheels.  I'll have a look at Hard Luck-

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2017, 04:15:59 PM »

I've had the BL shape and it felt great to me.

teh canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »

Thanks.  Northern Co switched to Pennswood for whatever that's worth.  I'm leaning toward regular trucks and 52 or 53mm wheels.  I'll have a look at Hard Luck-

Northern is still South Central, only did a few boards with Pennswood
p-shuvs and v-flips

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/bronson-speed-co/raw-bearings

Any one seen these? More expensive than the G3 and they said on the comments of their video that they're the same as them but "RAW Next Generation Bearings are designed to enhance the sound of SPEED. Equally fast, equally durable as G3 Bearings...but with greater sound... Hence the "Audible Speed Technology" feature" Sounds pretty whack.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »
It's probably like putting a card on your bicycle to make it loud and pretend you're in a motorcycle.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
This bronson guy is a kook.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
I don't know if you're calling me a kook or saying Bronsons suck. But both are true statements.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Those Habitat Twin Peaks decks are calling my name but I already have a couple extra decks lined up and I don't usually buy stuff for my wall unless it's cheap.  Maybe I'll settle for a Laura Palmer shirt once they get restocked.

Vitriol

• Rep: 17
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
Little did I know back then that I could just have popped the shields on my shitty bmx instead of putting cardboard in the spokes...

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
This is the thread for me. I'll have family going to America in a couple of months, and I can finally get skate stuff for a reasonable price. I'll be able to order things online as soon as I find out where they'll stay. Getting a Christmas Complete would be too much to ask, because it would be a pain in the ass to carry, and because it would definitely give them a hard time through customs. So I'm trying to figure out parts to order, to get not only the most bang for my buck, but also to get things that are worth buying.

-Decks are out of the question due to size, and the fact that I can get something that's fundamentally the same here in The Old Country.

-Bearings are bearings, unless I'm buying something ultra fancy, like 6 balls swiss ceramics or whatever, which I can't really afford. But they're portable, tiny, and cheap, so perhaps a set or two of Mini Logos is in order...

-Wheels are definitely appealing to me. I'm pretty much sold on a set of Spitfire Formula Fours already.

-Trucks are a long-term investment, and I won't be needing those in the near future. Still I'm tempted to get something in the sweet spot between the two setups I have... I'm currently riding a comically tiny 7.5 deck with 127mm trucks (ikr) and a 8.25 on 149mm. So the option of getting, say, a 139mm set of Indys would be nice, to keep things between the 8 and 8.25 range.

-As for "assorted" junk... somehow I don't think getting a dufflebag full of Shorty Silverados is a smart shopping experience. Griptape is griptape. I need a new set of hard conical bushings for the big setup.
Are Silver tools really that good? I've been wanting to buy one.

-On the other side of gear, talking about DOPE FITS and all, I don't like the idea of paying FullRetail (tm) for shoes. I'll probably just hope for a bountiful harvest at the local Ross stores. I've been looking for a pair of Dylans for quite a while, but then... you know... and now I don't think I can get them anymore. There's nothing I really want for clothes, so I'll look around big websites and hope for the best.

It's happening. Besides a set of wheels, and obligatory set or two of bearings, what else could I get? That is, if I'm going to buy skate stuff at all... my shitty-ass phone is crapping out on me and I'll eventually have to buy another. I'm accepting Android phone suggestions. Pretend that it's for filming if you need to.

Yossi

• Rep: 10
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
Are there any skate (or other) insoles that are similar to the thick lunarlon insoles in the Koston 1 and 2? Trying to find something that fits well in the Kyle Walkers.

Joe Pesci

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -87
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/bronson-speed-co/raw-bearings
[img]https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BR_RAW_SingleCase_Angled_448x448.jpg[/img
Any one seen these? More expensive than the G3 and they said on the comments of their video that they're the same as them but "RAW Next Generation Bearings are designed to enhance the sound of SPEED. Equally fast, equally durable as G3 Bearings...but with greater sound... Hence the "Audible Speed Technology" feature" Sounds pretty whack.
Friend that gets Spitfire and Bronson sold me a set of f4s and these for the low, so far same as any other bearings, unsurprisingly

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
But how is the "Audible Speed Technology"? Screw performance. I need them to sound good!

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
Are there any skate (or other) insoles that are similar to the thick lunarlon insoles in the Koston 1 and 2? Trying to find something that fits well in the Kyle Walkers.
FP orthotics and gamechangers are that size
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

rails

• Rep: -40
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
suggestions welcome on any/all of the four things:

- Vans classic slip-ons instead of authentic, fifty bucks

- the Ghetto Cowboy II deck, 8.12 by 32, around sixty-three bucks including grip-tape

- Bones medium bushings:

bought them two weeks ago and i've been skating in these bunch, it's my first set but i feel like the action is kind of squirrel-y opposed to the Independent bushings which offers a little more stability. particularly for traveling higher speeds and cruising transitions, Independent bushings seem a little better to me. bones bushings do seem immediately better for technical street, but i wonder if Independent bushings will be just as good over time without having any deficiencies in the higher speeds and transition areas.

- just got this set 52 mm:
http://i.imgur.com/akpXZTo.jpg
if you look at my posts in the Wheels Thread, ive been looking for wheels that offer a little more bearing slack for easier set up and removal. does anyone with experience with Girl wheels have any comment on this aspect, ideally before i open the package? also im a little hesitant regarding the Stout shape; i think the thinner Spitfire classics fit my feet size better. but maybe the Stout shape would be better if I size up to the Ghetto Cowboy deck? the wheels were 25 bucks.

for context, my present set-up:

50mm Spitfire Classics
assorted bearings - two Enjoi, two Speed Demons, two china Bones, one abec-3 Steadfast, one Spitfire cheapshots
Independent 139 - the series Independent was on in the year 2000.
7.75 by 31.75 Mini-Logo
Shorty's hardware
Jessup griptape
size 8 Vans authentic black:

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
suggestions welcome on any/all of the four things:

- Vans classic slip-ons instead of authentic, fifty bucks

- the Ghetto Cowboy II deck, 8.12 by 32, around sixty-three bucks including grip-tape

- Bones medium bushings:

bought them two weeks ago and i've been skating in these bunch, it's my first set but i feel like the action is kind of squirrel-y opposed to the Independent bushings which offers a little more stability. particularly for traveling higher speeds and cruising transitions, Independent bushings seem a little better to me. bones bushings do seem immediately better for technical street, but i wonder if Independent bushings will be just as good over time without having any deficiencies in the higher speeds and transition areas.

- just got this set 52 mm:
http://i.imgur.com/akpXZTo.jpg
if you look at my posts in the Wheels Thread, ive been looking for wheels that offer a little more bearing slack for easier set up and removal. does anyone with experience with Girl wheels have any comment on this aspect, ideally before i open the package? also im a little hesitant regarding the Stout shape; i think the thinner Spitfire classics fit my feet size better. but maybe the Stout shape would be better if I size up to the Ghetto Cowboy deck? the wheels were 25 bucks.

for context, my present set-up:

50mm Spitfire Classics
assorted bearings - two Enjoi, two Speed Demons, two china Bones, one abec-3 Steadfast, one Spitfire cheapshots
Independent 139 - the series Independent was on in the year 2000.
7.75 by 31.75 Mini-Logo
Shorty's hardware
Jessup griptape
size 8 Vans authentic black:

Let me ask you something: why do you want to have easily accessible bearings? Having them slip out of the core is quite a nagging issue for me. I had to force them back into place all the time, back when I was running shitty wheels, and having to fiddle with my board all of the time like if I was in Street League sucked. Ideally, you shouldn't have to touch them other than to clean them when they feel too bad.

rails

• Rep: -40
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »
Let me ask you something: why do you want to have easily accessible bearings? Having them slip out of the core is quite a nagging issue for me. [...]

what wheels do u have? and are your four axle nuts very loose?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »
Let me ask you something: why do you want to have easily accessible bearings? Having them slip out of the core is quite a nagging issue for me. [...]

what wheels do u have? and are your four axle nuts very loose?

Nothing noteworthy. They were 49mm "Next" wheels, which are Moska's "entry-level" wheels... Brazilian brand. I've bought them for next to nothing in a sale. They slid great, screeched like a banshee. But you get what you pay for. I eventually gave them away. Tightening the nuts only made them slow down earlier, as the bearings would be pushed outwards and eventually get stuck. I tried to run them tight with washers and the inner spacer, but it wouldn't work too well.