Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324601 times)

Frank and Fred and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
has Krooked released a gonz sweatpants hoodie in grey recently? I've seen black and white i believe, but i like gray hoodies so much better

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
Thinking about some mid or high tops for ankle support. Can't really find anything I like.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Thinking about some mid or high tops for ankle support. Can't really find anything I like.

That's the myth about mids or his, they offer snakebite and ankle bone protection but not so much for rolled ankles.

How about the:

Hsu
Crockett/TNT
One Star Pro

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the myth about mids or his, they offer snakebite and ankle bone protection but not so much for rolled ankles.

this completely and totally, I WRECKED my ankle in hi's. 
hardly art, hardly starving

shit_for_brains

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
Thirded. No help, maybe a little rougher actually, on a rolled ankle. Worth it for getting bit though.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »
Thirded. No help, maybe a little rougher actually, on a rolled ankle.

this is my theory exactly. ? I just spent 6 months off the board due to a rolled ankle in his. ? my theory is that that ankle wasn't allowed to roll in the "usual" way because of the hi's...but instead it was forced to roll in some new way, or forced to over-roll, or something like that. ? I think mids might be better, because they don't really hinder movement like a hi does.  I dunnno.  that's my diagnosis.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
Well shit... I'd probably get a mid regardless. Didn't like the new Hsu, bagged out really fast. The only thing that I'm kind of in to is the Accel slim mid. Fuck it, I don't need any more shoes right now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
Well shit... I'd probably get a mid regardless. Didn't like the new Hsu, bagged out really fast. The only thing that I'm kind of in to is the Accel slim mid. Fuck it, I don't need any more shoes right now.

I was eyeing those too, last pair of eS I had to size up, which was weird, so I would have to find them locally to jump.

For real protection you need a damn brace, sad as it is. When I'm not injured (fucking rolled ankle STILL won't let me skate 100%, since APRIL....) the way I ollie, and due to the height (well above knee height on flat) I will always shred the skin on top of my ankle bone, but never get mids for some reason. =(

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was eyeing those too, last pair of eS I had to size up, which was weird, so I would have to find them locally to jump.

For real protection you need a damn brace, sad as it is. When I'm not injured (fucking rolled ankle STILL won't let me skate 100%, since APRIL....) the way I ollie, and due to the height (well above knee height on flat) I will always shred the skin on top of my ankle bone, but never get mids for some reason. =(
In my (limited) experience, ankle braces are a farce. It just shifts the problem up to your knee if you do fuck up, which isn't a step up in safety. I can see them being good for recovery cause you can really crank them tight and add compression and prevent movement, but in regards to prevention I just deal with the likelihood of rolling the shit out of my ankle.

Thinking about it, I am 6'2 and 220lbs so that could be the cause...
Total newbie

Grind King Rims

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
Thinking of getting my first ever pair of nikes, the bruin hyperfeels. They just look so good, I forget about skating community.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 06:33:12 PM »
I've been eyeing the Vans Kyle Walker shoes lately. Seems like they're a bit more supportive than your average Vans shoe, but still slim enough to be low profile and all that. I like being in the middle.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2016, 06:38:05 PM »
They're not really "in" right now, but the Huf Classic Hi is a really great shoe. They took awhile to break in, but I loved them. Offered that little extra ankle support that I didn't know I needed. Lasted forever too. They're pricey, but if you can find a pair on sale I'd pull the trigger.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They're not really "in" right now, but the Huf Classic Hi is a really great shoe. They took awhile to break in, but I loved them. Offered that little extra ankle support that I didn't know I needed. Lasted forever too. They're pricey, but if you can find a pair on sale I'd pull the trigger.
They're not?! That being said, they're not really my thing. Can't do chucks either.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
In my (limited) experience, ankle braces are a farce. It just shifts the problem up to your knee if you do fuck up, which isn't a step up in safety. I can see them being good for recovery cause you can really crank them tight and add compression and prevent movement, but in regards to prevention I just deal with the likelihood of rolling the shit out of my ankle.

Thinking about it, I am 6'2 and 220lbs so that could be the cause...

I agree. I'm using one now for recovery, it's great, but I feel like it would create a fulcrum and like you said, just move the injury up the leg.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 02:17:51 AM »
I've been eyeing the Vans Kyle Walker shoes lately. Seems like they're a bit more supportive than your average Vans shoe, but still slim enough to be low profile and all that. I like being in the middle.

i really liked my kyle walker shoes! insole is super squishy and i needed to get used to it first. once broken in the shoe got more support than your average vans cause of the waffle cup but that good vans grip still. mine lasted pretty good! and i think it is a good looking shoe when you wear them

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 02:32:40 AM »
I'm getting a new board next month. I don't need a new one and i don't skate, because it's too cold. i just want to buy a board.
Any suggestions ? I like McCranks Sanrio Gudetama one.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:35:11 AM by christ0v »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 02:47:09 AM »
I'm getting a new board next month. I don't need a new one and i don't skate, because it's too cold. i just want to buy a board.
If you don't skate and just want to buy a board, then i suggest McCrank's Sanrio Gudetama one. Put some white shoe laces through those truck holes and you got yourself a wall hanger, baby.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 03:21:05 AM »
Good idea. I can hang it till the weather gets warmer.

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 04:15:56 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, I saw lakai's McCrank post the other day and I really liked the deck's colors but I'm not gonna be able to skate until the snow melts.

glutton.

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 05:58:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Did your little toes lose circulation and/or get blisters? The area where the toecap overlaps, with the material by the bottom eyelet, made my little toes swollen and blistered. I can't skate more than twenty minutes without having to switch shoes.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Did your little toes lose circulation and/or get blisters? The area where the toecap overlaps, with the material by the bottom eyelet, made my little toes swollen and blistered. I can't skate more than twenty minutes without having to switch shoes.
Nah. I have pretty narrow feet though. That did happen to me with the Vans Sk8 Hi Pros that I'm skating right now. I just would skate until my pinky toes started hurting from blistering, then stop. After a few sessions, I developed callouses/the shoes broke in more and I haven't had any issues since.

Side note, this seems to happen with most pairs of vans I get. I copped a pair of the Crockett Lows a few years ago and got wicked blisters on my pinky toes and heels. Same thing though, once I got callouses the problems stopped and I loved the shoe.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
They're not?! That being said, they're not really my thing. Can't do chucks either.

Fair. Yeah they seemed to be everywhere like a year or two ago, but vanished haha. I haven't seen a pair in the wild in a loooong time. I'm in the same boat with Chucks. They kind of look like clown shoes to me.

calvinsdream

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
The new blood wizard series looks sweet, but I definitely don't need a new deck at the moment.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »
Re: high tops.....we all have different ankles and different ankle problems so it's not as simple as they work or don't work.....

I'd say try em out....

If you need a cup high....dunk hi's......also consider getting an orthotic or upgrade the insole to skate a vulc because more shoes are available...

For some reason the flat stiff sole of vans hurts my feet but I can skate everything else...

Right now I'm skating Huf classics and even's shoe which I quite like.....but the higher boot of the Huf and Allstars worked well.

I'd like to skate: suede match courts, blazers, one star mid....jerry hsu's too but maybe too lo...wanna skate that sole though....

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
the busenitz mid is the most comfortable mid shoe I've ever worn... plus, it's a cup

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
Yah...that shoe would be way better than a dunk...man I miss the superskate!

The knock on the busenitz mid is you'll enjoy them and never get t skate them again....

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
If your buying hi's for ankle support you have to lace them up all the way and keep them hella tight almost like a brace, if you don't lace them up all the way or do but not super tight then you get no extra support.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2016, 05:28:58 PM »
Agreed..it's like loosely taping up your ankle....

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2016, 01:25:51 AM »
i think about buying another pair of the kyle walkers since it is a week i bought these sweet green ones! love those!

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »
Ive gotta get a second pair of walkers too! I'm really getting used to the feel of cups (even though KW's are half-cup), I don't think I can go back to floppy vulcs.

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »
I've been wanting to get some State shoes, but my shoe size ranges from 11-13 depending on the brand/shape of the shoe so I have to wait until the local shop gets them so I can try some on (the Mercer looks sick, I'd probably get that one).
I think they'll have Spring 2017. Fingers crossed.