Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324564 times)

Idk and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

SWPhillyFloater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 63
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #420 on: January 01, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
Any verdict on SML wheels?  I'm really thinking about getting a pair

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #421 on: January 01, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
formula 4s are all you need

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

or STFs

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #423 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

or STFs

nah just formula 4
good come sausage

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #424 on: January 02, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »
I'm buying my second set of STFs ever (I have a whole drawer full of spits). I'll never stop riding F4s, but there's something special about that bones mix.

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #425 on: January 02, 2018, 05:57:22 PM »
Contemplating getting a slimmer ankle brace. Maybe just the lace up kind without all the extra straps. I know they make your ankle weak blah blah blah but I have virtually no cartilage in my pop ankle and have to wear one to keep my foot from bending up too much do the bones in my foot don’t hit.
Anyone fuck with the lace up one instead of the criss cross strap kind?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #426 on: January 02, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »
which one you running at present?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #427 on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Contemplating getting a slimmer ankle brace. Maybe just the lace up kind without all the extra straps. I know they make your ankle weak blah blah blah but I have virtually no cartilage in my pop ankle and have to wear one to keep my foot from bending up too much do the bones in my foot don’t hit.

My ankles are in a different situation to yours, but I do use criss cross braces on both feet and have the same issue with bones in my ankle touching(on my left, flick foot) if I bend it one way too much. Can't do any regular kickflip tricks anymore.

I am personally skeptical about the lace up ones, if I don't use the criss cross straps on my brace, it doesn't feel like the brace does too much at all, and feels no more supportive than a flimsy high top. That being said, braces designed specifically to only be lace up might fare a bit better, and if maximum ankle roll prevention isn't your highest priority, I think it would be fine for you, a slimmer profile ankle brace would definitely be much nicer to skate in.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My ankles are in a different situation to yours, but I do use criss cross braces on both feet and have the same issue with bones in my ankle touching(on my left, flick foot) if I bend it one way too much. Can't do any regular kickflip tricks anymore.

I am personally skeptical about the lace up ones, if I don't use the criss cross straps on my brace, it doesn't feel like the brace does too much at all, and feels no more supportive than a flimsy high top. That being said, braces designed specifically to only be lace up might fare a bit better, and if maximum ankle roll prevention isn't your highest priority, I think it would be fine for you, a slimmer profile ankle brace would definitely be much nicer to skate in.
I’m running a criss cross one now and I’m pretty over having one fat shoe and one normal one. Thanks for the input, I gotta find a lace up brace to try on to see how it feels

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2018, 05:25:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’m running a criss cross one now and I’m pretty over having one fat shoe and one normal one. Thanks for the input, I gotta find a lace up brace to try on to see how it feels

i've tweaked both ankles countless times and after a real bad roll this past year (whilst vacationing to tampa pro nonetheless) i need high tops and an ankle brace for my left ankle in order to even feel okay to stand near a skateboard. i run one of those compression sleeve braces now, instead of the fold over ones, and it's been light years better. fits in my shoes fine, allows enough flex to make my ankle still feel normal, and my ankle has been much more comfy since then. something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ankle-Sleeve-Black-Charcoal-X-Large/dp/B004SRX3KU/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1514985580&sr=1-4&nodeID=7147441011&psd=1&keywords=ankle%2Bbrace&th=1

doesn't have to be a nike one, i just pick them up at CVS for $5-$10. swap them out every month or so just because they do stretch and aren't as compressed to the ankle after you skate in them for a bit. i'd take this over the fold over type or the lace up type anyday.
good come sausage

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2018, 05:37:48 PM »
I used to rock an ETC ankle stabilizer (Ronnie Creager's brand) for a solid 3 years or so after I tore some ligaments in my ankle. I cut the straps off of it so it was slimmer and just the lace up part. Eventually I felt too dependent on it and decided to try to skate without it (despite bone spurs in my ankle that are constantly grinding into my foot bones and causing permanent hot pockets). I found that just skating the right shoes for my foot shape and condition is really the best option. Ironically, some of my favorite and most stabilizing shoes I've had over the years are slim and low shoes like the Romero laced, Emerica Figgy, and the Lakai MJ (now the daly). I guess I just worked up some more strength in my ankle or whatever to ease out of the ankle brace. Just my 2 cents.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: January 03, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »
All solid advice, unfortunately my issue isn’t an ankle strength issue. It’s a Immobilization issue. I’m my ankle bends upward too much the bones collide and I’m out for a week or so. Imagine a permanent hot pocket feeling. I’m more looking for something that isn’t as bulky but offers the same amount of support. 

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #432 on: January 04, 2018, 01:20:09 AM »
All solid advice, unfortunately my issue isn’t an ankle strength issue. It’s a Immobilization issue. I’m my ankle bends upward too much the bones collide and I’m out for a week or so. Imagine a permanent hot pocket feeling. I’m more looking for something that isn’t as bulky but offers the same amount of support.

Have you ever tried kinesiology tape?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #433 on: January 04, 2018, 01:49:32 AM »
I know the permanent hot pocket feeling, lasts for a week every time I try a kickflip now. I think it could be worth it going into a pharmacy/walgreens or whatever and trying some on, and moving your ankle around in them to see how they are.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #434 on: January 04, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
The permanent hot pocket thing does really suck. Any flatground trick landed slightly off may cause a pretty bad hot pocket that will keep me off the board for a couple days. I still think that weening off the ankle brace only helped my situation but the bone spurs won't ever go away. Skating now is really just knowing my limits and a lot of warm up and stretching.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »
The permanent hot pocket thing does really suck. Any flatground trick landed slightly off may cause a pretty bad hot pocket that will keep me off the board for a couple days. I still think that weening off the ankle brace only helped my situation but the bone spurs won't ever go away. Skating now is really just knowing my limits and a lot of warm up and stretching.

I'm almost glad I didn't start skating a lot till my 20's, all my friends who were dropping stairs and big rails are crippled these days. My one buddies ankles just randomly give out on him.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2018, 10:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you ever tried kinesiology tape?

If you do decide to, try out Rocktape. Their waterproof series has a super strong adhesive that will stay on for a couple days if you tape yourself up properly. Showering with it is pretty much no issue.

thebacker

« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
whats up with vans half cabs?
sizing, break in time, pros/cons, etc

calvinsdream

« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »

Just nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »

Sizing is normal. Break in time is like 5 minutes. Only con for me has been : seems one tongue will always be sideways no matter what

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
good come sausage

Pigeon

« Reply #442 on: January 19, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
^
I’d get the Boosts for $60, and only use them for casual/walking shoes...still not good?

Have you had the Oski jacket? I’m kind of curious about how it is in 20-40 F weather, but am leaning towards the Magenta. It’s reflective and I can just layer up if needed.

$100 is cool with me since I’ve always gotten high-quality clothes from Theories brands (minus the actual Theories brand). I rather have a couple good pieces of clothing than a shitload of mediocre clothing...cleaning out my wardrobe or whatever the fuck it’s called.

thebacker

« Reply #443 on: January 19, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
^
I’d get the Boosts for $60, and only use them for casual/walking shoes...still not good?

Have you had the Oski jacket? I’m kind of curious about how it is in 20-40 F weather, but am leaning towards the Magenta. It’s reflective and I can just layer up if needed.

$100 is cool with me since I’ve always gotten high-quality clothes from Theories brands (minus the actual Theories brand). I rather have a couple good pieces of clothing than a shitload of mediocre clothing...cleaning out my wardrobe or whatever the fuck it’s called.

i suggest getting one of polar's fleeces for 20-40F weather. the hjalte one i got is perfect for the cold

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »
how if huf sizing? specifically the hupper 2 lo. thinking about grabbing the butter colab.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: January 22, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
^

i bought the white boosts thinking that A) they would be comfortable and B) they were also around the 60-70 dollar price range which seemed good for boosts. let me tell you, they looked like shit on my feet, they fit like shit, and they were not very comfortable. any of the youtube reviews saying it's a comfortable shoe is just some little hype kid that wanted ultra boosts but mom and dad could only afford the busenitz's for them. i say spend the extra $$ and get a normal pair of boosts. Those Iniki's or whatever they are look pretty good.

Oski jacket looks nice I'm just always wary of polar stuff. I've had jackets that fit great and sweatshirts in XL's that fit lengthwise like a small. Just buy yourself a columbia jacket for $30, columbia is kinda in right now so everyone will still think you're the man. plus those pockets look a little high...

magenta jacket has the nice jersey lining, those are the ones that fit real nice and don't feel like garbage. i had a DQM one for years before i sold it to someone on here. even for $100 i wouldn't entertain but do you bruh.

if you take anything away from all of this: don't buy the busenitz boosts, you will be sad and will return them.
good come sausage

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #446 on: January 22, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
the busenitz boost is pretty comfortable i think, i had the iniki runners and hated them, they do look better than the busenitz boost though

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #447 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »
A Powell Flight Deck
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: January 22, 2018, 11:29:29 PM »
Thinking about picking up some Huf classics. How’s the sizing?

Pigeon

« Reply #449 on: January 23, 2018, 12:25:11 AM »
Thinking about picking up some Huf classics. How’s the sizing?
I had to size up .5 to avoid hurting my flexor tendons, in the high tops. The low tops are generally true to size.