Author Topic: HOW AMERICA FAILED SCOTT BOURNE  (Read 8726 times)

Mother Goose.

Re: HOW AMERICA FAILED SCOTT BOURNE
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2016, 02:37:52 AM »

Pretty Serious

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2016, 10:19:40 AM »
I'll have respect for Nerdtako if he makes good on packing up his "do-not-trick-or-treat" list and kids and flees to Portugal. 
Despite Bourne basically telling him he couldn't afford to do so nor was a guy like Trump worth uprooting one's life over.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
Has anyone read his novel?
*Raises hand*
I liked it, he doesn't mention skateboarding even once in it but it's a great insight into SF in the mid 90s. I may be biased though cuz I love me some Scott Bourne :-* Comparing him to MJ is fucking blasphemy on so many levels
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:14:41 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone read his novel?
[close]
*Raises hand*
I liked it, he doesn't mention skateboarding even once in it but it's a great insight into SF in the mid 90s. I may be biased though cuz I love me some Scott Bourne :-* Comparing him to MJ is fucking blasphemy on so many levels

yes. MJ is obviously a much better skater.

(even though I have sympathy for Bourne as a Paris-lover.....)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »
at ledge/ manual tech, yes (then again, MJ used to be a rail chomper too), but Bourne killed it back in the day. Easily in my top 5
As for the pseudo-intellectual call, I'd bet good money that Bourne is at least 5x as well read as MJ is

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 01:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
at ledge/ manual tech, yes (then again, MJ used to be a rail chomper too), but Bourne killed it back in the day. Easily in my top 5
As for the pseudo-intellectual call, I'd bet good money that Bourne is at least 5x as well read as MJ is

oh I loved Bourne's skating too. Especially his 411 section, remember that? long manual as an intro was bad-ass (at 48'00). and I could identify with his approach more than dudes like MJ or Koston who were way out of my league.
But MJ is just so much more gifted, which is probably why he had a much longer career. Better style too, by miles!

casper

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »
I like Scott . One time he gave me a book to read. Hunger by Knut Hamsun . Was a good book.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »
I like Scott . One time he gave me a book to read. Hunger by Knut Hamsun . Was a good book.

I love that novel. That's awesome.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »

oh I loved Bourne's skating too. Especially his 411 section, remember that? long manual as an intro was bad-ass (at 48'00)...

Right in front of the DLX shop!
SPB!

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »
Expand Quote
What does he do for a living?
[close]

He provides the black bars for widescreen DVDs.

fuuuck, posts like that are why I'm not turning off the internet any time soon

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2016, 09:55:11 PM »
oh I loved Bourne's skating too. Especially his 411 section, remember that?

I've actually ... never seen that! So thanks. Yeah look, MJ has 500x the talent on a board but as you said, Bourne was someone you could relate to. Sure, he never did the hardest tricks but he did charge shit and always looked at obstacles differently. Photos of him were always gnarly too! I think his big brother interview was my favourite. 

Awesome, do you still have it?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's so ironic about this guy is that he chose a country that is just as fragmented as the US... Marine Le Pen is their version of Trump, they have major issues regarding their immigrant integrations, safety is becoming an issue, etc etc.

It's not like the guy moved to Iceland.
[close]

I don't have the time to answer in detail, so quickly:

- France is not as fragmented as the US by a long shot. There are more mixed marriages for instance.
- Marine Le Pen is the candidate for a fringe party, not the main conservative party.
- safety: yes we had several terrorist attacks but homicide rate is 4 times less than in US

But like I said before.......Not everything is perfect in France, far from it.
[close]

No one is perfect, of course. We all have our issues. But, you can't deny that France is also going through a rough patch. But, would you go to a ''Banlieue'' ? Are the subways in Marseille all safe ?

Sure, Le Pen won't win the election, but she is stiring alot of shit and creating alot of social tensions within the country (� la Trump).

[close]

well I said in my first post France is fucked right now. Actually I wonder how much Bourne understands of what's going on politically in France...
Anyways, I grew up in the "banlieue", south of Paris. My parents still live there. Sure there's some sketchy areas and being mugged in Marseille or some other place is a real possibility but believe me, it's nothing like US ghettoes where guns are readily available. I don't know where you live but France is safer than most places worldwide.

Now all that being said, WHAT THE FUCK AMERICA?? Trump is president for real??!!
After this and Brexit, I sure hope the French prresidential election doesn't provide the next shocker.

as in marine le pen? that's whom 4-chan/alt-right wants.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2016, 12:01:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's so ironic about this guy is that he chose a country that is just as fragmented as the US... Marine Le Pen is their version of Trump, they have major issues regarding their immigrant integrations, safety is becoming an issue, etc etc.

It's not like the guy moved to Iceland.
[close]

I don't have the time to answer in detail, so quickly:

- France is not as fragmented as the US by a long shot. There are more mixed marriages for instance.
- Marine Le Pen is the candidate for a fringe party, not the main conservative party.
- safety: yes we had several terrorist attacks but homicide rate is 4 times less than in US

But like I said before.......Not everything is perfect in France, far from it.
[close]

No one is perfect, of course. We all have our issues. But, you can't deny that France is also going through a rough patch. But, would you go to a ''Banlieue'' ? Are the subways in Marseille all safe ?

Sure, Le Pen won't win the election, but she is stiring alot of shit and creating alot of social tensions within the country (� la Trump).

[close]

well I said in my first post France is fucked right now. Actually I wonder how much Bourne understands of what's going on politically in France...
Anyways, I grew up in the "banlieue", south of Paris. My parents still live there. Sure there's some sketchy areas and being mugged in Marseille or some other place is a real possibility but believe me, it's nothing like US ghettoes where guns are readily available. I don't know where you live but France is safer than most places worldwide.

Now all that being said, WHAT THE FUCK AMERICA?? Trump is president for real??!!
After this and Brexit, I sure hope the French prresidential election doesn't provide the next shocker.
[close]

as in marine le pen? that's whom 4-chan/alt-right wants.

yes that's who I was refering to. Her party, Front National, is a old-school fascist party trying to clean up its act.
And she has a good shot at being in the 2nd round of the election. I used to think she could never ever be elected president but now I'm not so sure.