Author Topic: STEEP  (Read 6797 times)

tortfeasor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
STEEP
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:49:45 AM »
anyone play the beta? it looks pretty fucking serious but its ubisoft so im a little tepid about paying full price for it--

Steep Gameplay Walkthrough: World Premiere – E3 2016 [US]
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: STEEP
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
I got it. It's fun. Just like snowboarding, there aren't as many things you can do on/with a snowboard, so it can get boring quicker. The mountain is huge, the controls are pretty good and overall, it's enjoyable.

I'm tempted to sign up for PSN just to be able to ride with other players.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
how does it run on PS4?  how many hours of gameplay do you think you will get out of it?

i tried the demo on my computer but when i tried to play in high settings i was only getting like 25-30 fps.
plus  the controls also felt a little "lose"

was debating on getting it when i replace the graphics card this feb.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:52:29 PM »
I think it runs fine on PS4. Most of the time it's 60fps, except when you're flying down the really steep faces. You can see the draw-in way down the mountain, but it isn't any more noticeable than on GTAV.

As far as playability goes, it's a lot like skate. Even after beating all the challenges, I could come back and play an hour each night in order to chill out.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »
I played the beta and wasn't that into it. I had been playing Infinite Air before I played the Steep beta and I ended up sticking with Infinite Air.

My main grips was there was no preloading so any flips and spins are all done once you jump instead of preloading before the jump. Also there's no grind functionality, this means there's no rails at the parks or anywhere. There's random rails that are parts of buildings that people do grinds on but there's no actual grind mechanic or rails meant for grinds.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
there's no grind functionality,

thats absurd.  they better patch that in ASAP

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »
http://www.maximumgames.com/infinite-air/ <-- this is the game you probably want to check out. STEEP is beautiful, but it's basically a game made to be played by people that don't snowboard/ski/whateverthefuckelseisinthegame

Infinite Air is basically SKATE the snowboard game. It's a physics based sim. As such, it feels clunky at first, but once you learn how it works it's really smooth and never feels 'arcadey'.

Check this video for a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-IDmidCWkA