Author Topic: Trick Name Debate  (Read 14274 times)

Casey Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
Trick Name Debate
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:05 AM »
Some friends and I got into a little bit of a debate recently. What do you call that trick that is essentially a nollie backlip, but fakie?

I said a fakie back board, with little confidence. Because you'd say fakie backside nosegrind for like a fakie switch backside 5-0 for example. Just tried to follow that logic.

Others were saying Fakie front board. Frontside halfcab front board? Backside halfcab boardslide? It's not a fakie back lip. Technically what we call a fakie backlip (fakie ollie to switch front board) should be fakie front lip since you're going frontside?

What do you guys think?  ???

shark tits

Re: Trick Name Debate
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
fake front board or halfcab frontside boardslide contingent on if you did it back to fakie or halfcabbed it to reggers.
how fakie ledge tricks work is they're named as if they were regular. bs tailslide is the same slide even though fakie you approach fs.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »
This has always confused me. Never know what to call 'em.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
there's a few simple guidelines i like to follow that make trick naming much easier.

#1 whichever way you are standing when you pop your tail/nose remains the stance of the trick, UNLESS you turn 180, in which case, the stance stays the same but the direction is reversed.

e.g. fakie nosegrind is correct. if you rode fakie and 180'd into a nosegrind it would be a halfcab nosegrind. if you rode straight then 180'd into a nosegrind it would be a 180 (fakie) nosegrind. (not a switch 5-0)

#2 the relation of the ledge when you pop is how the trick is named. when you 180 into a ledge (has to be more than a 90 degree turn) the directional relation of the ledge when you pop is overrided by the direction you turn.

e.g. if you roll up to a ledge backside and nosegrind it, it would be a backside nosegrind. if you roll up to a ledge backside and frontside 180 into a nosegrind it would be called a frontside 180 (fakie) nosegrind.

shitstorm incoming?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:14:49 AM by Iceman »

shitsandwich

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
I feel like its a pretty uncommon trick but I would call it a fs half cab boardslide since the other way would be a half cab boardslide.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »
I keep thinking of it over and over, and I just think it would be a fakie back boardslide.

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »
I feel like its a pretty uncommon trick but I would call it a fs half cab boardslide since the other way would be a half cab boardslide.
gnar'd for agreeing w/ me

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
Would it not be a fakie front board? Nollie it would be a lip because your back truck goes over as if you were doing a back lip, but fakie your front truck goes over and voila you're in a front board.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »
Would it not be a fakie front board? Nollie it would be a lip because your back truck goes over as if you were doing a back lip, but fakie your front truck goes over and voila you're in a front board.

But if you're facing the rail backside it's still a backside boardslide even if you slide like a front board. At least that's what I'm imagining.

I'm picturing like a switch back lip, except popping fakie.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is correct....how you go in dictates the trick....you switch in...your slide or grind should reflect this....the only confusing aspect is the switch cab debate.....ie is it switch half cab crook or nollie 180 fakie 5-0......

I'm sure video games, captions and kids have confused this significantly.....

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
there's a few simple guidelines i like to follow that make trick naming much easier.

#1 whichever way you are standing when you pop your tail/nose remains the stance of the trick, UNLESS you turn 180, in which case, the stance stays the same but the direction is reversed.

e.g. fakie nosegrind is correct. if you rode fakie and 180'd into a nosegrind it would be a halfcab nosegrind. if you rode straight then 180'd into a nosegrind it would be a 180 (fakie) nosegrind. (not a switch 5-0)

#2 the relation of the ledge when you pop is how the trick is named. when you 180 into a ledge (has to be more than a 90 degree turn) the directional relation of the ledge when you pop is overrided by the direction you turn.

e.g. if you roll up to a ledge backside and nosegrind it, it would be a backside nosegrind. if you roll up to a ledge backside and frontside 180 into a nosegrind it would be called a frontside 180 (fakie) nosegrind.

shitstorm incoming?

Damn! You are correct about that. Never considered the 180 [fakie] nosegrind thing. Backside 180 nosegrind, you are actually rolling up frontside obviously. So the frontside/backside rules are not rigid in respect to what side you're rolling up on. Okay.

I thought of another. Halfcab noseslide. Regular old halfcab noseslide is backside, even though you are rolling frontside. Frontside halfcab noseslide would be rolling up backside. The direction of the turn into the trick does override the general rule.

So maybe you guys are right. Frontside halfcab boardslide I think is probably the correct answer here. Or atleast, the most recognizable or understandable description. I've changed my mind from fakie back board to fs halfcab board. Still up for debate though I think.

Gnarred for giving me that lightbulb.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
switch nollie back lip ;)
the noseslide version is usually referred to as fakie front nose so I would go with fakie front board but that's also because I don't think frontside half cabs exist!
*ducks for cover*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
Fakie nose grind is chink chink grind.......

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 08:18:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This is correct....how you go in dictates the trick....you switch in...your slide or grind should reflect this....the only confusing aspect is the switch cab debate.....ie is it switch half cab crook or nollie 180 fakie 5-0......

I'm sure video games, captions and kids have confused this significantly.....

"Switch half cab" should be avoided at all costs, even if you need a paragraph to describe it.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »

I thought this was only on tranny?

N.L.

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah only tranny. one chink is your back wheels hitting cope, the second chink is your front truck hitting cope. and no grind in a chink chink.

The Lap Dancer

• Rep: -49
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
Yall should be more concerned that all the dipshits calling chetty thomas as ghetto birds.
the lap dancer ...more like the slap cancer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah only tranny. one chink is your back wheels hitting cope, the second chink is your front truck hitting cope. and no grind in a chink chink.

In theory yes....but that's not to say an errant caption lead to it existing....like a manual....revert.....

N.L.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
then, the caption was wrong.

wrong.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 04:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

In theory yes....but that's not to say an errant caption lead to it existing....like a manual....revert.....

j....soy..... I agree with you...... in theory..... In theory, communism works..... In theory......

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 01:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

j....soy..... I agree with you...... in theory..... In theory, communism works..... In theory......

In Finland it's quite common to call 180 nosegrinds chinks, like fs and bs chink, it's been that way atleast 20 years. Oh, and we call ledges curb,quarterpipes as banks, hubbas as ledges and so on, don't know when these misunderstandings happened. I think it was rather common in europe to mislabel trick names in magazines back in the days.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
We call them Asians now.....every ones brother seemed to marry one so we have to be nicer to them.....they make great stereos too!

Ok...here's another....I started doubting that bs 180 fakie 5-0 fs out is a pupeki grind.....is there footage of this?

nylin

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
We call them Asians now.....every ones brother seemed to marry one so we have to be nicer to them.....they make great stereos too!

Ok...here's another....I started doubting that bs 180 fakie 5-0 fs out is a pupeki grind.....is there footage of this?

Pupecki grind is just a back 180 fakie 5-0. No frontside out.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pupecki grind is just a back 180 fakie 5-0. No frontside out.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • RIP
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 07:16:56 PM »
While I agree that it doesn't really make sense, I Sniff My Own Butthole All The Time's trick is a fakie, or half-cab, frontside boardslide. We tend to call what looks like a fakie ollie to switch frontside noseslide a fakie backside tailslide, and what looks like a fakie ollie to switch backside noseblunt a fakie frontside bluntslide. This is pretty backwards (lol) but I think it helps to think of this nomenclatural convention originating from vert. On a ramp, if you approached the coping backside, did a frontside half-cab into your slide, it would feel much more like a frontside boardslide than a backside boardslide. I think?

Rein

• Rep: -21
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 02:25:06 AM »
Fakie crooks is the only name I can think of that doesn't make sense if you  use name-giving logic. You're using the same truck with a 'fakie crook' as with a fakie 5-0, but you tweak it, so it's basically a fakie suski grind.

Some people call it a fakie ollie switch crooks, that's only a minority though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »
I'd think a fakie crooks is a fakie nose grind.....but I think you mean fakie Ollie switch crooks.....or a fakie 5-0....

Any which way...it's ambiguous because no ne wants to say fakie suski......

jomeara1

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
I just play THPS for an hour to refresh my memory on everything

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
Definitely a halfcab front board, doesn't matter how you're facing, when you're fakie it's some mirror sorcery shit. I never thought about the whole Fakie Crooks thing though, that is kinda bizzare.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • illinoying
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
double shuv