Author Topic: Why do a lot of people hate heelflips?  (Read 25065 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Why do a lot of people hate heelflips?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 11:11:15 AM »
Expand Quote
When skaters went from 7 3/4 to 8+ everyone lost their heelflip.
[close]

8.4"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOGbW67JTJM

I don't know if he's the best example since he has like four tricks. He has to have heelflips or he doesn't eat.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »
I've pondered this a bit more and no.....right now bad regs heels is the new varial flip no?

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
I've pondered this a bit more and no.....right now bad regs heels is the new varial flip no?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »
Its more of a practice issue I think
i think it has more to do with how you stand on your board than anything. you position your weight very differently for each.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »
f/s heel is the most under-used fliptrick for lines. those can be popped big too but no one practice them

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
Dylan had a sick one.....

Dave Fuck

• Rep: -6
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »
Dylan had a sick one.....

Agreed. I think that Sage Elsesser kid has a really sick heelflip too.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 11:58:01 PM »
Preference, more people have an easier time doing kickflips. Kinda like if you have a harder time doing frontside tricks you stick to backside because it's easier. Seeing people doing them seems off putting because, it's different from you.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »
Racism
Name your top 3 heel flips and I guarantee there's not a white dude in there. That being said I've become quite fond of them over the past few months since my ankle has been to fucked to kickflip without causing a massive amount of pain. I've found they either are absolutely perfect, nice high level pop and a bolts landing or I just don't land them, which is odd because I can land even the most fucked and ugly kick flips when I'm healthy.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
Today I made a firm decision to leave kickflips behind and focus on heelflips in 2017.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Racism
[close]
Name your top 3 heel flips and I guarantee there's not a white dude in there. That being said I've become quite fond of them over the past few months since my ankle has been to fucked to kickflip without causing a massive amount of pain. I've found they either are absolutely perfect, nice high level pop and a bolts landing or I just don't land them, which is odd because I can land even the most fucked and ugly kick flips when I'm healthy.

lindsey robertson
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Racism
[close]
[close]

lindsey robertson

Hjalte Halberg and Wieger Von Lastname

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
Today I made a firm decision to leave kickflips behind and focus on heelflips in 2017.

in 2014 i made a drunk resolution to not ollie/pop for a year ...getting old is weird

shit_for_brains

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

in 2014 i made a drunk resolution to not ollie/pop for a year ...getting old is weird

My kickflips are dog shit. Even when I do a good one I hope nobody saw it. I can kickflip into things just fine and it doesn't look like my mom drank when she was pregnant, but a regular (or god forbid fakie) kickflip is just straight garbage. I've got nice looking consistent heelflips, and I'm still over here trying to fuck with these horrible kickflips and never heel flipping. I say no more.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My kickflips are dog shit. Even when I do a good one I hope nobody saw it. I can kickflip into things just fine and it doesn't look like my mom drank when she was pregnant, but a regular (or god forbid fakie) kickflip is just straight garbage. I've got nice looking consistent heelflips, and I'm still over here trying to fuck with these horrible kickflips and never heel flipping. I say no more.

I got into skating to learn Kickflips, because of my feet I kept flicking too hard with my toes I would kill the toe part of my shoes in a day, so I gave up on them a long time ago.

jums

• Rep: -50
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »
The heelflip came natural to me, learned it the second time I tried them. Kickflips on the other hand took me like half a year to learn. I think heelfips are ugly when you do them with half of your foot hanging off of the board and you karate kick out. What works for me is to just have my big toe off of the board and lightly flick my foot with the back foot kind of in the middle/pocket of the tail. Doing it that was allows for me to pop the board up as high as I want and with just my toe off I can control the flip a lot more, they look like kickflips they way I do it.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Racism
[close]
yeah exactly
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

drcroc

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 10:39:57 PM »
I learned heelflips. Proof: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQQfr7_gKdl/
I skate 8 and below. This was a 7.6 deck. Anyway...

The trick to landing them, as far as I'm concerned, is where you balance/place your weight while standing on the board. You need to lean back and to the opposite direction to where your toes point. So it's like you're sort of edging that weight distribution a bit to that area. It's almost like leaning against a staircase, or chair on the back-diagonal. It's not a full lean, but just enough to establish that weight is being pushed towards that direction.  So it's your back foot's heel position pocket of the board.  When you do this and then do the trick, the board flips and you are flush with how it will rotate into the catch. One other thing I learned was that in the moment where you're actually doing the motion you need to have hyper-focus into what's going on. And final step is making sure you actually land with both feet on the board, which takes another little rush of adrenaline as well. I've been trying these for many years so to finally understand it was awesome for me. I posted in another thread how I learned this, figured I'd share my knowledge. I was landing them consistently for a bit, but some days it would be still hard to get one. It wasn't automatic every time.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 12:21:15 AM »

The trick to landing them, as far as I'm concerned, is where you balance/place your weight while standing on the board. You need to lean back and to the opposite direction to where your toes point. So it's like you're sort of edging that weight distribution a bit to that area. It's almost like leaning against a staircase, or chair on the back-diagonal. It's not a full lean, but just enough to establish that weight is being pushed towards that direction.  So it's your back foot's heel position pocket of the board.  When you do this and then do the trick, the board flips and you are flush with how it will rotate into the catch. One other thing I learned was that in the moment where you're actually doing the motion you need to have hyper-focus into what's going on. And final step is making sure you actually land with both feet on the board, which takes another little rush of adrenaline as well. I've been trying these for many years so to finally understand it was awesome for me. I posted in another thread how I learned this, figured I'd share my knowledge. I was landing them consistently for a bit, but some days it would be still hard to get one. It wasn't automatic every time.
Isn't this the case with every single fliptrick that exists?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »

did you take this video in crown heights or park slope? that area looks kinda familiar.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »

Fuckin WHAT

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
First i learned heel flips. After learn kick flips my heel flips got worse.

drcroc

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

did you take this video in crown heights or park slope? that area looks kinda familiar.

It's a construction site / dead end near the East River, but not Brooklyn

drcroc

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=93650.msg2613522#msg2613522 date=1488010875
Expand Quote

[close]
Isn't this the case with every single fliptrick that exists?

The whole shifting/placing your weight into a certain area I would think changes as per what trick you're trying. Cause you're off-setting the motion of the flick by balancing/holding your weight in the opposite direction. The other stuff like focusing in on it and landing with both feet, sure...

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »
They don't. People do actually love heelflips. People hate late flips. They're unappealing.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
I can do them sometimes, but I mostly end up landing them with both feet dragging off the edge of the board and I have no idea why. I can varial heel no problem though, makes no sense.
Varial heels are fucking weird, that was the first flip trick I learned. It's completely different from a straight heel because it's 80% how you scoop it, you kinda just hang your front foot off and it flips itself

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
I choose kickflips over heelflips any day but i can dig heelflips, use to have a clean one but lost it, now they are pretty sloppy, weirdly enough can still go clean ass Varial heels without fail.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Dos Mef

• Rep: 1
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2017, 04:56:37 AM »
I'm kind of re-learning everything due to years of being off of a board, but I got nollie heels down again the other day. I think the only reason they're working for me now is I have a more narrow deck than I was using before. Am skating like a 7.(something? way small) right now because it was free and I gotta admit I've been landing way more shit ever since making the switch. May look into a little less wide of a deck next purchase? Never thought I'd say that shit but these are strange times.

assholo

• Rep: 4
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
Because dichotomous thinking.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »
for me heelflips never felt natural because when I started skating for some reason when I learned to ollie I would hang my foot off like I was setting up for a kickflip so when it came to learning heels flips it just felt weird to setup up and flick