Author Topic: Sri Lanka  (Read 1797 times)

quaintly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Sri Lanka
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:46:28 AM »
Any one been there / from there ?
Anything to skate ?
Worth taking a board ?
Any details greatly appreciated .
Thanks

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Sri Lanka
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:37 AM »
I've been to Colombo.  Not much to report except that there is a lot of panhandling there.  All I could find was a manual pad in a plaza that was way too slick.

DonSimon

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:59:29 AM »
I've been there last year. There's not too much to skate. They have a small scene in Colombo. I think the shop they had closed doors. I heard people would meet up at the racecourse to skate, can't remember what day, though. I think it was Saturday or Sunday. There was a small DIY pool near Midigama beach (close to Weligama)

We did a round trip, starting from Colombo. We did stops in Galle to check out the fort, near Weligama to go surfing, Udawalawe national park, Ella to do some hiking, Nuwara Eliya and Kandy for some culture.

We did most of the trip by train which i would recommend as you can see some real nice scenery out of the train.

If you need more details let me know.

quaintly

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 04:41:27 AM »
I've been there last year. There's not too much to skate. They have a small scene in Colombo. I think the shop they had closed doors. I heard people would meet up at the racecourse to skate, can't remember what day, though. I think it was Saturday or Sunday. There was a small DIY pool near Midigama beach (close to Weligama)

We did a round trip, starting from Colombo. We did stops in Galle to check out the fort, near Weligama to go surfing, Udawalawe national park, Ella to do some hiking, Nuwara Eliya and Kandy for some culture.

We did most of the trip by train which i would recommend as you can see some real nice scenery out of the train.

If you need more details let me know.

Thanks for that . Sounds like a similar trip whatbwhat I've planned .

quaintly

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:43:34 AM »
I saw a picture of that small bowl down south, looks rugged.  Was the shop in Colombo Called push ?

DonSimon

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 03:56:43 AM »
Yeah, that was the name but the only thing I could find about that shop was some facebook comment that it has been closed.

The pool is actually pretty rugged. Plus it was pretty dirty from the surrounding trees. The roof you could see on some of the pictures wasn't there anymore. The family living in the house next to it gave us a broom so we could clean it up a little. The place looked a bit abandoned to me.

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
Just went to Sri Lanka in August and did like 9 days all over the country. Wouldn't recommend bringing a board, the country isn't really developed, and thus, not really streets/spots. If you are in Colombo, then it's obviously more of a city, and there could be spots, but nothing I saw during my 2 days there.

If you wanted to surf though, arugam bay is the place to go and there's actually a scene. Maybe there's something over there with the surf shops?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
Wouldn't recommend bringing a board, the country isn't really developed, and thus, not really streets/spots.
sounds like Bangladesh, Nepal and other countries in the region that I used to travel to a lot. I always heard Sri Lanka was a not nicer than those places though. Funny how places like the Philippines and Indonesia have marble wonderlands for days and places like these are lucky to get a single spot worth taking your board for.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year