Author Topic: Phish is the best live band..  (Read 7469 times)

biggums mcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Phish is the best live band..
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:02:31 AM »
Take off the pretention goggles and have a taste- at least hear me out. Who else can sell out Madison Squafe Garden four nights in a row leading up to New Years Eve for 20+ years? What other rock band executes live collabs with Jay Z in Brooklyn on the fly? When Mets pitchers go to rock shows, they don't even bother Insta'ing the mayhem unless it's Phish. Who was it that threw the biggest Y2K concert? It was Phish, in the freakin Florida Everglades!

Skaters are in the closet big time on this band and it's bout time yall step out- Jason Spivey would be hyped

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Phish is the best live band..
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
confused why you didn't say umphreys mcgee...here's my vote

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

stabbedbywiggers

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
This happened last time phish came to town. Not attending any shit associated with hippies in my state. Tripping in jail, nahhh.

"Agent Josh Batten said his agency doesn't target any particular band or group of fans, but that complaints from Walnut Creek had been building for weeks.

Agents arrested 65 people, about half of them from out of state, and filed a total 115 charges."

Turns out I ended up in jail a week later with some old dude from cali, ounce of ketamine, charged with counterfit controlled substance, dropped. My charge too.  :P

oldgoodburger

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:28:07 PM »

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
They were from 1994-2000 but they're soft now. That petrichor song is lame. They still have some great moments and have written some great tunes.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
never seen phish, but i like a good live band so id probably dig it. my buddy was a big fan and would play them in his car a lot and i never really got into it, but that could all change in a live setting.

i wont say theyre the best, but thee oh sees put on the best live show in my recent memory this past year. during their last song i stepped back for just a second to take it all in and if i had to define what rock and roll is, it was what was happening in that room at that moment.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 07:09:34 AM »
Can someone tell me how to embed videos? Thought it was just copy & paste? That changed?

They were from 1994-2000 but they're soft now. That petrichor song is lame. They still have some great moments and have written some great tunes.

Agreed. Guessing you saw the New Years gag?

Expand Quote
Tripping in jail, nahhh.
[close]

Not as bad as it sounds!

confused why you didn't say umphreys mcgee...here's my vote

Funny. UM is a lot of fun and I don't sleep on seeing them but their structured style of jamming is too predictable for me. Phish still takes risks and that's why I love them , even though they have gotten pretty soft.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
Can someone tell me how to embed videos? Thought it was just copy & paste? That changed?

remove the s from https:// in the url. it needs to be http://

biggums mcgee

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
Thanks, JB.

straight (or anyone else) if you're into bands like Umphreys or Phish you should give these guys a listen. An instrumental song but it isn't all hippie-dippie or purely guitar driven like a lot of bands in the genre. I love the weird time signature changes, the grade A improv and the catchiness of the song- all elements that in part make jambands interesting. Also the guitar player is clearly influenced by Jimmy Herring of Widespread Panic.

Tune itself starts at 1:55

Edit : took the S out of https and it's still not embedding properly. The gods of Slap Music have it out for me!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:49:38 PM by biggums mcgee »

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
to embed (at least for me on my phone) remove everything before it says youtube and type www.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
to embed (at least for me on my phone) remove everything before it says youtube and type www.

Good looks, I guess a tablet is pretty much the same interface huh?

If anyone else wants to post links I'd love that- all ears over here

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »

There are plenty of good videos of them on youtube, but this one really shows how rad thee oh sees use of two drummers is. I'm pretty sure the guy on the left quit the band after this show, not sure why, I just know he posted on instagram that the stop in New York was going to be his last. I was super bummed because I saw them two stops after that. They still killed it with one drummer, but two is just another level of rad. Its awesome to see them playing differently, then come back to perfect synchronisation.

And I don't even know how Dwyer gets his guitar playing right because it looks like he just bashes away. Nothing he does is super technical, but the way he has control of his chaos is pretty awesome.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
Take off the pretention goggles and have a taste- at least hear me out. Who else can sell out Madison Squafe Garden four nights in a row leading up to New Years Eve for 20+ years? What other rock band executes live collabs with Jay Z in Brooklyn on the fly? When Mets pitchers go to rock shows, they don't even bother Insta'ing the mayhem unless it's Phish. Who was it that threw the biggest Y2K concert? It was Phish, in the freakin Florida Everglades!

Skaters are in the closet big time on this band and it's bout time yall step out- Jason Spivey would be hyped

Biggums is Tim Gavin. Confirmed

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
Not just NYE, but this year they've got a summer residency at MSG. 12-13 shows in 2 week stretch.  Think they're officially announcing any day. 

I miss the mid 90's in every way. Music even more than skating.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »
I saw Phish at MSG on the 2012-13 new years run and it was pretty awesome. If the MSG residency is real, I would definitely travel to skate a bit in NYC and catch a few nights.

I'm really a disco biscuits fan though, I typically only travel for shows to see them. They are very hit or miss, but when they're on they crush it. I just went to Dominican Holidaze last month for biscuits/umphreys/sts9 and it was pretty awesome. Unfortunately it was some lackluster tDB shows but every other band killed it and it was just a great time all around.

I kinda like dopapod, but have really only seen them while pretty drunk so idk.

I definitely like psych rock, and the oh sees are great. Ty Seagall as well.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »
I saw Phish at MSG on the 2012-13 new years run and it was pretty awesome. If the MSG residency is real, I would definitely travel to skate a bit in NYC and catch a few nights.

I'm really a disco biscuits fan though, I typically only travel for shows to see them. They are very hit or miss, but when they're on they crush it. I just went to Dominican Holidaze last month for biscuits/umphreys/sts9 and it was pretty awesome. Unfortunately it was some lackluster tDB shows but every other band killed it and it was just a great time all around.

I kinda like dopapod, but have really only seen them while pretty drunk so idk.

I definitely like psych rock, and the oh sees are great. Ty Seagall as well.
I can see Red Rocks from my back porch, maybe I should get a SlapPals party bus for one of these shows this summer. Hit the new Golden park on the way.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
Oh word? I'm in Denver so I definitely hit up red rocks a bunch in the summer. Haven't skated Golden park yet but it looks pretty dope, def interested in that montreal oververt replica thingy. Have you been there yet? Weather's looks like Saturday migt be skateable conditions.

Also have done a bbq at that commerce city park before Phish dick's last year. Went with mostly phish friends who "used to skate" but it was a good time fasho.  I kinda wanna do it again and make an edit with a song played from the show (probably like cavern or moma dance, idk).

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
Oh word? I'm in Denver so I definitely hit up red rocks a bunch in the summer. Haven't skated Golden park yet but it looks pretty dope, def interested in that montreal oververt replica thingy. Have you been there yet? Weather's looks like Saturday migt be skateable conditions.

Also have done a bbq at that commerce city park before Phish dick's last year. Went with mostly phish friends who "used to skate" but it was a good time fasho.  I kinda wanna do it again and make an edit with a song played from the show (probably like cavern or moma dance, idk).

I camp at Dicks (jokes here), even back when I lived a mile away. Just fun at late night mini stages. Park pre-lot jam sounds great.   

Last I was at the Golden Park, it was "closed", 3? weeks ago  They said it wouldnt open until landscaping was finished. Tickets if you skated. Kids where there clearing snow though. I'll check on my way home from work. Warm weather this week too.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 04:14:39 AM »
Phish, the best live band? Eh, pretty good. The only phish I know is Fishbone, baby!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbs0qe_fishbone-everyday-sunshine_music

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »
    My first show was Philly Dec 94. Liked it so much I went to MSG  a day later. This was before they played MSG on new years eve yet. Think 95 was the 1st year NYE, because I remember everyone raging over Jerry's passing. 
    I do wish Dicks could be more like Clifford Ball, Went, LemonWheel days. More interactive? Or more anarchism.
  I don't know what I'm trying to say. The shooting in the news got me thinking of Mexico right now. Boogie on opener>every single ocean/beach themed song.
  My old ass sits Paige side of my couchtour!!

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Guess what my Pals!! MSG confirmed. 13 show residency starting late July. Bakers Dozen MSG run #trendwatch 2017.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Quote from: Shifty Flip  link=topic=93852.msg2603933#msg2603933 date=1485894582
Guess what my Pals!! MSG confirmed. 13 show residency starting late July. Bakers Dozen MSG run #trendwatch 2017.

Well if other rumors are true, the disco biscuits will be doing after party shows (hopefully at whatever the nokia theater is called these days) one of the weekends. If so I'm gonna make it out there. Probably try to skate a bit too.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
Quote from: Shifty Flip  link=topic=93852.msg2603933#msg2603933 date=1485894582
Expand Quote
[close]

Well if other rumors are true, the disco biscuits will be doing after party shows (hopefully at whatever the nokia theater is called these days) one of the weekends. If so I'm gonna make it out there. Probably try to skate a bit too.

Also heard Bisco rumor from someone who's usually correct.  I seriously miss GFE doing the afterparty for most every Phish show for years though. Granola Funk Express!!

biggums mcgee

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

Kinda hard to believe even though the rumor's been floating around for months. Wonder how many tri-state pals who 'hate phish' will get roped into going to a show & end up having their time of their lives and going back for more...

Grind King Rims

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
Listening to Analyze Phish was really fun.
I miss Harris Wittels.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
let's add king fu to the thread

ImportantGuy

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »
Meh. Any band Miles Davis ever put together absolutely shits on Phish.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »
Since this just got bumped, figure I'll mention I have 4 extras for MSG NYE it's any Pals want them before I put them on cash or trade. For face.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »
Never really got into them, but you fans should check out the Harris Wittels (R.I.P.)/Scott Aukerman podcast "Analyze Phish":

I don't even listen to Phish, but have listened to every episode of the pod.

ImportantGuy

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »

This is what I'd call a good live band.