Author Topic: Pro-Trump Skaters?  (Read 81921 times)

not_ericricks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
Re: Pro-Trump Skaters?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote
So most pros are libtards?
[close]
I would think most are apolitical. Rampant drug usage probably places many as socially liberal or libertarian, but lack of employer-provided insurance would suggest reliance on Obama care (although its right-wing think tank origins and making people buy from private carriers makes it politically ambiguous).

Sounds more thrasher that most pros are anarchists
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
if you're not wenning you're loosing and rosie is a looser.
i have no idea if that's true or not but i could see danny way jumping at the chance to ollie the white house for trump's inauguration. jereme was against those asian strikers so he prolly sides w/ big business. todd falcon and king of freestyle seem like they might.

Those 90s b roll videos...thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane!

Pigeon

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
The shorty's instagram posted this before the election. It's anti-hillary, so pro-trump by default, but probably more of a 3rd party kook.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
that Kyle Fredrick guy seems pretty right wing  judging from his instagram
Yeah those pro america posts mesh so well with his pictures of Japanese made automobiles

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
There was a decent amount of SLAP Trump supporters in that one thread long before anyone thought he had a real chance at winning, I was actually pretty surprised seeing that...Had some of y'all lookin real funny in the light

aint that the truth my nigga

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
The tooth pick king Cody Mac

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »
Brian lotti is pro trump so fuck you
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

Lurper

• Rep: -9
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 08:46:33 PM »
I don't think it's a hugely slanderous or inaccurate thing to say that pro skateboarders are on average fairly poorly educated. It's kinda the nature of the profession: if you waited to start your pro career until after you got a college degree you're going to have missed some of your best years as a skater. Dudes like Ocean & Suciu are super rare.

Despite all the talk about working class resentment blah blah, the main factor that determined how people voted in this last election was education level. And race, of course.

Put simply: if you're white, the less educated you are, the more likely it is you voted for Trump. So, I'd assume there are probably lots of pros with Trump sympathies.

But I'd also bet that 90 percent of pro skaters did not vote at all.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think your analysis of the situation is a bit off.

First, you forget a key break between Clinton and Trump "supporters" was age. Young people were more likely to vote for Clinton.

Second, we have to remember that the majority of the skateboard industry is based in California and the demographic characteristics that define the country may be different from the demographics that define CA. Voters in Michigan are probably a bit different than voters in California, a state where only 31% of the population voted for Trump. The number is even lower in most of the counties that house the skate industry. Only 9% of SF County voted for Trump, 21% of LA County voted for Trump, and 38% in SD County (http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california-president-clinton-trump) . So even if we are going to base our hypothesis on who is likely to be a Trump or Clinton supporter on broad demographic data, maybe we should look at where the skaters live first. Also, it is important to remember broad demographic info can't tell us about specific individuals within that data.

Third, the notion that most pro skaters are conservative because they are white and don't have much education seems rather unlikely. Skaters are often a group individuals who wrap themselves in an existential identity and probably aren't lining up to vote Trump. (Outside of Street League) the art/bohemian based philosophy of skateboarding doesn't really overlap well with Trump's neo-conservative authoritarianism. The fact that liberals tend to seek out novelty and uncertainty and are more willing to accept risk aligns well with skateboarding (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/study-predicts-political-beliefs-with-83-percent-accuracy-17536124/#GOHuXvzlH2Hu708J.99 ). Moreover, skateboarding's image doesn't often align well with religion, business, ultra-pro police values, etc. And, skateboarding's heavy emphasis on travel in skateboarding probably also reduces xenophobia and fear of immigrants. Not to mention that skaters often aren't likely to say, "No to drugs" and Trump's attorney general nominee is super anti-marijuana.

Fourth, skateboarding, a winner in global free trade market, appears to be struggling under the current conditions where we pay some poor Chinese or Mexican guy to make our shit for basically nothing. I'd imagine most of the dudes in the industry are terrified of the idea of having to bring manufacturing back to the US or losing their international markets if this neo-nationalist movement expands across the globe (looking at you France/Le Pen). Without heavy automation like Adidas has done with their new German shoe factories (no employees needed), the companies would need to raise prices or cut their margins. Something, that they probably don't want to do considering skateboarding seems to be struggling pretty hard as it is. The dude who owns BBS had a whole story in CNN about how the huge tax breaks Obama offered wouldn't off set the cost of manufacturing in the States compared to Mexico (http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/03/smallbusiness/us_manufacturing/).

Finally, despite my belief that most skaters would lean towards democratic values, I'd agree that most are probably apolitical. Other than dudes like Walker Ryan, I don't see many really giving a shit about anything other than the present and the immediate world around them.

P.S. I'm not sure how much I back the crowd sourcing of information for private gain.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »
Jim Greco liked some trump and right wing bs on instagram. Jeremy Klein is good friends with Greco so I'm sure he holds similar political viewpoints. Josh Harmony is really right wing. I'm sure there's more pros that like trump but they probably won't be open about it.

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't think it's a hugely slanderous or inaccurate thing to say that pro skateboarders are on average fairly poorly educated. It's kinda the nature of the profession: if you waited to start your pro career until after you got a college degree you're going to have missed some of your best years as a skater. Dudes like Ocean & Suciu are super rare.

Despite all the talk about working class resentment blah blah, the main factor that determined how people voted in this last election was education level. And race, of course.

Put simply: if you're white, the less educated you are, the more likely it is you voted for Trump. So, I'd assume there are probably lots of pros with Trump sympathies.

But I'd also bet that 90 percent of pro skaters did not vote at all.
[close]

I understand where you are coming from, but I think your analysis of the situation is a bit off.

First, you forget a key break between Clinton and Trump "supporters" was age. Young people were more likely to vote for Clinton.

Second, we have to remember that the majority of the skateboard industry is based in California and the demographic characteristics that define the country may be different from the demographics that define CA. Voters in Michigan are probably a bit different than voters in California, a state where only 31% of the population voted for Trump. The number is even lower in most of the counties that house the skate industry. Only 9% of SF County voted for Trump, 21% of LA County voted for Trump, and 38% in SD County (http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california-president-clinton-trump) . So even if we are going to base our hypothesis on who is likely to be a Trump or Clinton supporter on broad demographic data, maybe we should look at where the skaters live first. Also, it is important to remember broad demographic info can't tell us about specific individuals within that data.

Third, the notion that most pro skaters are conservative because they are white and don't have much education seems rather unlikely. Skaters are often a group individuals who wrap themselves in an existential identity and probably aren't lining up to vote Trump. (Outside of Street League) the art/bohemian based philosophy of skateboarding doesn't really overlap well with Trump's neo-conservative authoritarianism. The fact that liberals tend to seek out novelty and uncertainty and are more willing to accept risk aligns well with skateboarding (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/study-predicts-political-beliefs-with-83-percent-accuracy-17536124/#GOHuXvzlH2Hu708J.99 ). Moreover, skateboarding's image doesn't often align well with religion, business, ultra-pro police values, etc. And, skateboarding's heavy emphasis on travel in skateboarding probably also reduces xenophobia and fear of immigrants. Not to mention that skaters often aren't likely to say, "No to drugs" and Trump's attorney general nominee is super anti-marijuana.

Fourth, skateboarding, a winner in global free trade market, appears to be struggling under the current conditions where we pay some poor Chinese or Mexican guy to make our shit for basically nothing. I'd imagine most of the dudes in the industry are terrified of the idea of having to bring manufacturing back to the US or losing their international markets if this neo-nationalist movement expands across the globe (looking at you France/Le Pen). Without heavy automation like Adidas has done with their new German shoe factories (no employees needed), the companies would need to raise prices or cut their margins. Something, that they probably don't want to do considering skateboarding seems to be struggling pretty hard as it is. The dude who owns BBS had a whole story in CNN about how the huge tax breaks Obama offered wouldn't off set the cost of manufacturing in the States compared to Mexico (http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/03/smallbusiness/us_manufacturing/).

Finally, despite my belief that most skaters would lean towards democratic values, I'd agree that most are probably apolitical. Other than dudes like Walker Ryan, I don't see many really giving a shit about anything other than the present and the immediate world around them.

P.S. I'm not sure how much I back the crowd sourcing of information for private gain.

This nigga done shut this mutha fucka down with that post right there.

ManMelt

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
I'm sure Bob Puleo has some super complicated conspiracy theory about the election, involving big corporations, blind sheep, flight 77, free masons, and the number 33. But hey, it beats getting a real job.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »
I love the picture you paint of pro skaters being anti-authoritarian types with global trade awareness... and I'm sure there are many pros out there who fit that description.

However, the pro market I see is largely populated by conformists chasing corporate sponsorships. I nostalgically retain my memories of the old days when skating was a rebel activity but it just ain't so no more.

This board is a good example. At one point it shocked me that so many on Slap were so politically regressive. But it doesn't any longer. Skateboarding doesn't attract the same crowd it once did. This isn't all bad by any means, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say there's a sizable chunk of pros who in some abstract way support our fascist kook of an incoming president.

And I think we all probably agree that the majority of pros are essentially apolitical. The interviews I read appear to bear that out.

I can't really believe Kalis would be a Trump dupe. I hope he pops on here & clears that up...

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Jason Jessee is no longer a Nazi. He's a cholo so probably anti-Trump, but there is that whole La Eme/Aryan Brotherhood connection.

As Slap's resident pro skateboarding Republican, Kalis is likely pro-Trump. I would expect any financially successful pro to lean right. Let the poor pay your taxes. On the other hand, Trump's free trade stance(s) could disrupt the current skate industry and make it more expensive for rich pros to buy European and Japanese luxury cars.
[close]

yea he posted this. I'm not throwing shade.

I'm not necessarily a Hillary supporter but to dismiss her because she stood with a person that help tear down a plaza is completely egocentric and selfish. There is a lot more at stake than  just a place to skateboard.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »
Maybe to you. Poser.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:21 PM »
Maybe to you. Poser.

Lol. I just reread what I posted and I feel like I sound like a bitchy soccer mom or something haha but I still stand by what I said

Lurper

• Rep: -9
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2017, 02:53:05 AM »
I love the picture you paint of pro skaters being anti-authoritarian types with global trade awareness... and I'm sure there are many pros out there who fit that description.

However, the pro market I see is largely populated by conformists chasing corporate sponsorships. I nostalgically retain my memories of the old days when skating was a rebel activity but it just ain't so no more.

This board is a good example. At one point it shocked me that so many on Slap were so politically regressive. But it doesn't any longer. Skateboarding doesn't attract the same crowd it once did. This isn't all bad by any means, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say there's a sizable chunk of pros who in some abstract way support our fascist kook of an incoming president.

And I think we all probably agree that the majority of pros are essentially apolitical. The interviews I read appear to bear that out.

I can't really believe Kalis would be a Trump dupe. I hope he pops on here & clears that up...

Good point. I think I would need to qualify my interpretation of skaters by noting that it excludes the pro-Olympics Dew Tour Street Leaguing Berras of skateboarding. I do my best to ignore them, so I sometimes forget to include them in my view of skateboarding. I think if we were to add in those who create fake street spots and usually stay within the boundaries of the skate park/contest circuit, it might significantly complicate my picture of skaters.

Is Xenu pro-Trump?

I'd say that skaters have always been amazingly progressive and regressive all at once. I mean even with all the anti-conformist rebellious shit that we like to define the 90/00's with, Birdhouse still ended up kicking a skater off the team for being gay and Nierakto, a hold over from that era, treated Marisa like shit in his Vice interview. (However, on the whole, I'd imagine we are a lot better than the dudes in hockey, baseball, or football http://www.umdknes.com/knes287resources/Readings/05/R01.pdf ).

Also, I think it is easy to characterize all the people who voted for Trump as uneducated, irrational, and horrible, which isn't necessarily true (although, some of the people in Trump's admin certainly fit the bill of terrible humans, Bannon, Sessions, DeVos, and Mnchunin quickly come to mind). Moreover, when we blame individuals for being irrational we miss how the structure of society encourages and allows people to benefit from racism (http://itp.wceruw.org/bonilla-silva%20rethinking%20racism.pdf).

Moreover, I'd imagine a good portion of those who (don't have to regularly deal with notions of race, sexism, etc.) viewed his traits as terrible, but they were wooed by an amazing sales person who promised them amazing things so they overlooked his obvious faults or they just hated Clinton so much that they didn't care. He is brilliant at playing the PR game and great at demonizing others (see ). In addition, he played on people's fears of the economy (even though unemployment was less than 5% prior to election), he played on people's fears of crime and terrorism (even though crime is low and no one seems to remember the threat that white nationalists play when it comes to terrorism, McVeigh and Roof both wanted to start "race wars" with their attacks) , and he did a great job of demonizing Clinton who had been a weak candidate in the first place and who the republicans had been demonizing for the past 20 years.

I get why people supported Trump. Calling them dumb, deplorable, irrational, etc., isn't going to make them any less likely to keep supporting him.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:58:48 AM by Lurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 04:04:09 AM »
Trump is a very entertaining president, Hillary is boring as fuck and Sanders a total buzz-kill. Could be the most exciting 4 years in politics in a long time. Probably not gonna do anything too crazy either so don't worry about it

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
I heard Jake Johnson voted for trump just so he could wallie into Mexico.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
Trump is a very entertaining president, Hillary is boring as fuck and Sanders a total buzz-kill. Could be the most exciting 4 years in politics in a long time. Probably not gonna do anything too crazy either so don't worry about it

I really hope you don't ever vote. Choosing politicians based on how fun they are is not the way to go.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Opoin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really hope you don't ever vote. Choosing politicians based on how fun they are is not the way to go.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »
If I had to guess, probably Puleo and Jason Jesse. Danny Way is a good call. I could see Mike Mo being a Trump supporter, too.

If Danny voted for Hillary I'm eating my DC's

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
I'd say that skaters have always been amazingly progressive and regressive all at once.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it.:)

I have to admit my view of skaters as people/skating as a culture has grown steadily more negative over the years as I've watched a once punk-fueled anti-authoritarian culture morph into... well, what it is now. But I gotta say, I've had more reason to feel differently lately. Seeing the almost entirely unanimous support BA has received from the community, for example, has been really awesome.

Bottom line is that any culture is always in flux & getting attached to wherever it is at any one point (and/or pining for lost days) is always going to lead to one feeling grumpy and hateful.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:37:51 AM by Getty »

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »

That and pretty much everyone on here. It's sad how much they don't realize they're ruining this country.

baby dick

• Rep: 7
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That and pretty much everyone on here. It's sad how much they don't realize they're ruining this country.
lmao why do all conservative people talk like this? as if they somehow see this huge secret world that other people cant see. we get it, you've been on Reddit before

stabbedbywiggers

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Hey guys, hey guys, trump is a fascist and we should be scared and feel bad. He hasnt taken office yet, but Im pretty sure on this one. Hillary could have saved us, now we are a racist country.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
lmao why do all conservative people talk like this? as if they somehow see this huge secret world that other people cant see. we get it, you've been on Reddit before

I'm not even a conservative but nice try. Libtards just ruin everything.

Billy Ocean

• Rep: 30
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
Expand Quote
If I had to guess, probably Puleo and Jason Jesse. Danny Way is a good call. I could see Mike Mo being a Trump supporter, too.
[close]

If Danny voted for Hillary I'm eating my DC's

Why do you own a pair of DCs?
"Suck a dick, bitch." - Joey Boy

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Let me guess, you love Alex Jones and know everything about Jeffrey Epstein??  God dam killary and the libtards are ruining this country, I just don't know why?  sound about right?

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Let me guess, you love Alex Jones and know everything about Jeffrey Epstein??  God dam killary and the libtards are ruining this country, I just don't know why?  sound about right?

Its a mix of liberals and conservatives ruining the country. Neither of them have the answer to saving this place.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »
Can't you guys be more like Lurper and Getty?

I also appreciate any skateboarding messageboard post with multiple footnotes.