Author Topic: Fully Flared will be 10 years old this year  (Read 17787 times)

Alexactly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Fully Flared will be 10 years old this year
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
Can't believe it's already been 10 years but when I do the math, it checks out.

Weeellllll, it'll be ten years since the premiere in November, but the DVD didn't get to most people until mid-December. That's still almost a year!

2007 was a big year for me. Moved out of my mom's house in San Diego to the bay, where I still live. Fully Flared kind of  punctuated my career of intense skate nerdery. I also lost my virginity the same week I got the DVD. Coincidence?

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Looking back, Fully Flared seems to me to have a legacy not unlike the Obama administration. After the hard fought battles of the 2000s sk8 culture wars ? between Black-hair-dyed girl-pants-wearing Jamie Thomas-produced rail chompers and Chris Cole and Corey Duffel-be'ers, and the dignified tasteful-tech 90s-venerators (once the unquestioned Slap contingent consensus) ? Fully Flared came along as the dominant skate document of the era, generating a sense that the good guys had won, that lines had beaten out hammer-clip parts, that ledges and manuals had toppled El Toro. A year later, the darkness of the Iraq-invading Bush years received a similar repudiation in the 2008 election, and everything, for a short moment, looked to be so bright. But then we had to grapple with the loosed beasts of combo-tricks and drone bombings and Ty Evans emboldenment and congressional gridlock and a mediocre Mariano. We learned then, that nothing is very good.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
^ woah

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »
Actually rewatching this right now. Maybe it's the overwhelming nostalgia talking, but I think it still holds well. Though if it came out today I think people would be tripping on how long it is.

I remember it being a real hot topic that Alex Olson didn't skate switch in his part minus a nollie backside flip. Despite weird feelings I have of him now his part is still one of my favorites in the video.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »

We had that video so damned hyped up, there were rumors of Koston nollie heel nose blunting one of the rails at Hollywood High.
Before the premiere Lakai was putting out little clips to get everyone on the hype train.

I remember this and a handful of other rumors too, most of which I read here. The ones that stick out most are that Koston nollie heel backsmithed either Hubba or one of the Wilshire rails, and that Welsh bigspin backtailed Hubba. I really wish that one went down. Anyone recall some of the other fabled FF tricks?
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
I wonder how many people got meatspun through fake download links...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
Actually rewatching this right now. Maybe it's the overwhelming nostalgia talking, but I think it still holds well. Though if it came out today I think people would be tripping on how long it is.

I remember it being a real hot topic that Alex Olson didn't skate switch in his part minus a nollie backside flip. Despite weird feelings I have of him now his part is still one of my favorites in the video.

I'm afraid if we played a game of SK8, you'd get me with a vicious fakie nollie.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »

And Kevin Long was...with Cat Power ?!

#neverforget

Rein

• Rep: -20
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Who's parts in FF have he most re-watch quality ten years later? Checked AO's part and feel like it doesn't really hold up. It was great back then though.

Mike Mo's for sure. The kid was 16 when he filmed most of it, that's fucking mental. If that part came out today it would still be a heavy hitter.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
http://crailstore.com/products/final-flare-dvd

Three 6 Mafia - Triple Six Clubhouse (HypnotizedCamp.Net)

So Tom Penny and Mike Carroll both skated to Bittersweet Symphony. How cool its that. Time to put some money on Mikes pockets !  8)

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »

So Tom Penny and Mike Carroll both skated to Bittersweet Symphony. How cool its that. Time to put some money on Mikes pockets !  8)
I think Fully Flared used a later version of Triple Six Clubhouse that had different sampling, I don't think Three 6 had permission to sample Bitter Sweet Symphony and they had use a different sample which I think sounds better. Bryan Herman skated to the Bitter Sweet sample though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWNT1GHVUh0

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think Fully Flared used a later version of Triple Six Clubhouse that had different sampling, I don't think Three 6 had permission to sample Bitter Sweet Symphony and they had use a different sample which I think sounds better. Bryan Herman skated to the Bitter Sweet sample though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWNT1GHVUh0

Cool dude. At one point Bryan Herman and Shane Cross were the same person to me. How awesome if those cats were ever together on some Emerica trip.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm afraid if we played a game of SK8, you'd get me with a vicious fakie nollie.

fakie frontside indy cabalerial

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
What else is crazy about 2017 is OG Plan B was 1991-1998; Plan B 2.0 has been 2005-2017. It's now been 12 years and still no parts from half the team. Makin' Castillo look like Even Smith.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »
I remember watching a shitty quality .mp4 download of it and staying up way too late on a school night watching it. I was in 11th grade. Damn, time is a motherfucker.

Everything about it was perfect. Biebel+Jeezy, all the vets putting out legit footage and not half assing it, the new guys killing it, enough fanfare and fireworks without pretty sweet-ing it. I had watched old Guy parts before, but since I started skating in late 99 and didn't really pay attention to skate media until 2001 or so, he had never been someone who was routinely getting coverage during my skate nerd phase up until that point. I was absolutely floored by his part.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
Fully Flared - Full Movie - Eric Koston, Guy Mariano, Mike Mo Capaldi - Lakai Limited Footwear
Some channel just uploaded Fully Flared in its entirety and its the best quality ive seen on youtube in years

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
Damn this thread brought out Alexactly, dude you were one of my favorite posters on here from the FF era!

This kid marty got punked into posting a pic of his testicles in exchange for a 'link'...

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
I was actually scrolling back in time through here once when I was bored at work. I came across all the Fully Flared rumors and release date/push back threads. There were posts about the premiere and some SLAP dudes went to see it. Everyone was freaking out and asking questions about last part/song/tricks etc.

Damn, FF was probably the best video of the decade.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »
I just flicked around the vid and watched a few parts. Guy's part (second last) starts at 56.00 and the vid ends at 1.29.00. What were they thinking making a skate vid this long?

Whilst FF was extremely popular and in some ways groundbreaking, I remember it more so for its negative aspects.

FF bought about the era of excessive filler clips (hi-5s, hugging etc) and corny overly emotional vibes to skate videos (think MJ, Guy and Mike Mo).

It also led a huge resurgence of ugly ledge combos, I'm specifically thinking of all the smith/lipslide flip out tricks (Carrol gets an obvious pass here as he made his look good).

See the TWS vids that came out in the years following for further clarification.

Pop's fresh to hesh transition part felt insincere and kinda half-hearted. 

My bitching aside, I still enjoy watching Koston, Biebel and especially Carrol's parts.

Also was this the last legit Koston part?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
Also was this the last legit Koston part?

Yes, last one he really gave his all to without a doubt.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
Lol @ Pops fresh to hesh...dude was never hesh, you're saying that why, because they put bad brains behind his skateboarding?

Lucas Puig's part was genuinely groundbreaking and that's what this video should be remembered for in kind

Otherwise, it was a great last dance for some monumental skaters from a certain generation. I was 17 when this video came out and being well aware that Carroll and Co had parts in Quesionable there was no question that this was it for them. The fact that their parts were so good solidified their legend status even further.

The FF skateboard video format sucked. In hindsight it was sorta the beginning of the end for crailtap.

Aside from all that, there was some serious all that skating in this video. Guy's comeback part, Jesus' come forward part, career curtains for a lot of heavy hitters. There probably won't be anything quite like FF again anytime soon

sharkbarf

• Rep: 1
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2017, 11:37:01 PM »
Wasn't Danny Garcia supposed to be in this?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
MJ's part being 3 songs seems like overkill now. A quarter of his part is DIY skatepark footage. I remember rumours that the last spot was fake too (in the Berra sense).

I always wondered this--can't recall seeing anyone else skate it...?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

asakusa75

« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2017, 03:48:31 PM »

Yep, me. And I received a very stern talking to at work.... would I do it again? You bet I would.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
MJ's part being 3 songs seems like overkill now. A quarter of his part is DIY skatepark footage. I remember rumours that the last spot was fake too (in the Berra sense).
[close]

In the Final Flare they mention how it was filmed while they were on tour and they all wanted to go but he knew he wouldn't be able to try it again. It could be b.s., but there you go.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
Lol @ Pops fresh to hesh...dude was never hesh, you're saying that why, because they put bad brains behind his skateboarding?

Call it what you will. The Bad Brains track, flannos, tats, pole jams etc certainly has a different vibe to his previous parts.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »

i actually have fonder memories of meatspin than FF

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In the Final Flare they mention how it was filmed while they were on tour and they all wanted to go but he knew he wouldn't be able to try it again. It could be b.s., but there you go.
That thing's real, it's just out of the way and kind of stupid looking.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »
I have a feeling that thing, if it didn't have that dumb gap-in concrete at the bottom of it that doesn't actually fuck with you but would fuck with my head (and if it was in Detroit), would be one of those spots that only I enjoy skating.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

nonstop29

• Rep: 5
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »
It was the second skate vid I ever saw after Yeah Right (saw it in '09 shortly after I started skating). It's because of this video that I see Mike Carroll and Lucas Puig as gods.

The thing that bothers me most about Pappalardo's part is that after he does the manual kickflip out there's the sound of a coin falling.