Author Topic: From Indy to Venture  (Read 7327 times)

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
From Indy to Venture
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
I was thinking about getting some V-Lights for a new setup. Going from Thunder to Indy during the late '90s, the turning seemed similar, but Thunders locks you into a more defined radius, while Indys had better snap back. Being slightly better, I wondered why I ever rode Thunders.

Looking at the kingpin angle, Ventures do not look as sluggish as people describe them. Maybe it is because the wheelbase is effectively lengthened compared to Indys. Would someone comfortable with Indys think Ventures are total shit?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: From Indy to Venture
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »
It'll be the same as your thunder experience but worse......

Maybe Venture hi is a possibility......

But if you aren't carving around a bowl, and think doing a little slaloming between no complies and body varials is dumb maybe it's worth just getting used to them....

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
Not sure if it matters but went from Stage 10.5 139s with Bones Hard Bushings and no bottom washer to Venture 5.25 that were stock.

Definitely felt a difference, doing tricks required a different foot positioning not only this but Ventures have harder stock bushings that are barrel instead on conical. They definitely have more kingpin clearance and I felt like I had more pop. The pop could've been one of many things, smaller wheelbase, tighter truck (no wobbling around, force going straight down), and they were harder to turn (as opposed to stock Indy that have carve nicely). Ended up switching back to my Indys a few days down the road after not getting the turn I wanted with a little over hand tightened nuts.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

VOSGOS

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
  Total gear dork here but from all the research it seems all about what you are skating what you want out of your trucks, seems ventures are best pretty stiff, (ledge and tech)  Thunders turn on a dime, (wild in the streets) and Indies are for carving. (all about the gleaming the tranny) but then you got guys who do it all on whatever. I have a bunch of set ups for the purposes just mentioned.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 04:36:12 AM »
Interesting thread. What about the longer wheelbase with ventures? How does it feel?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
I can only speak for the Highs but I think they turn way better than Indys and don't wheelbite like Thunders with big wheels. I like the longer wheelbase because I'm tall and it makes my board feel bigger and makes for a stable turn and solid return to center.

Negatives: the longer wheelbase is a function of the axle being set back farther and to me it feels like this make manual balance harder. Good pop but you might also ghost tap more because they require you to make the tail travel farther before it hits. They are the highest highs out there and that can sometimes feel squirrelly because of it.

I also think maybe I do flip tricks worse with them but I'm pretty horrible with any board so I'd could just me.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
I can only speak for the Highs but I think they turn way better than Indys and don't wheelbite like Thunders with big wheels. I like the longer wheelbase because I'm tall and it makes my board feel bigger and makes for a stable turn and solid return to center.

Negatives: the longer wheelbase is a function of the axle being set back farther and to me it feels like this make manual balance harder. Good pop but you might also ghost tap more because they require you to make the tail travel farther before it hits. They are the highest highs out there and that can sometimes feel squirrelly because of it.

I also think maybe I do flip tricks worse with them but I'm pretty horrible with any board so I'd could just me.
Agreed Venture hi's turn way better than indys, they feel a little more sharp to me. I have to take the bottom washer off and listen them all the way to get them how I like them.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
I recently did the same switch after years of indy, and venture are surprisingly really good.
Good turn right out of the box and they feel lighter, but then again I did this after 2+ years of (barely) skating with two different trucks without noticing (probably one 139 and one 149) so who am I to judge.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
  Total gear dork here but from all the research it seems all about what you are skating what you want out of your trucks, seems ventures are best pretty stiff, (ledge and tech)  Thunders turn on a dime, (wild in the streets) and Indies are for carving. (all about the gleaming the tranny) but then you got guys who do it all on whatever. I have a bunch of set ups for the purposes just mentioned.

ive skated all 3 but couldnt really tell what was going on. im curious about the other brands if you have any opinion on them. ace looks interesting. then there's royal, tensor,  krux,  theeve, uhhhh, grind king, uhh sliver, kreeper, uhh phantom, orion, monster, uhh destsructo. i mean these brands do exist but do they offer anything?

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ive skated all 3 but couldnt really tell what was going on. im curious about the other brands if you have any opinion on them. ace looks interesting. then there's royal, tensor,  krux,  theeve, uhhhh, grind king, uhh sliver, kreeper, uhh phantom, orion, monster, uhh destsructo. i mean these brands do exist but do they offer anything?

Ace and Theeve are only in business because they copied Independent ("Theeve" is an allusion to stealing another company's technology). Krux was one of Indy's parent company's experiment with overseas foundries. All the other trucks are cheap price point parts intended for some kid's first setup. I would stay away from them.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ace and Theeve are only in business because they copied Independent ("Theeve" is an allusion to stealing another company's technology). Krux was one of Indy's parent company's experiment with overseas foundries. All the other trucks are cheap price point parts intended for some kid's first setup. I would stay away from them.

krux are actually pretty good, i get the brand based hate. but they are taller indys thats turn a little sharper with way better bushings. ironically the worst luck ive had wit krux were with the forged baseplates. the regular ones are way better an cheaper.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
i dont know guys, the z rollers and phantom deuce are pretty sick...