Author Topic: Lacey Baker - My World. Videopart by Thrasher Mag.  (Read 27089 times)

BacksideWallride

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
Re: Lacey Baker - My World. Videopart by Thrasher Mag.
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
Ben Kadow's sister killed it.. Don't bring up the sunken picnic table again didn't we have a huge thread on that?

For real props Lacey

7 year old

« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
wait how the fuck was there a huge thread about that? got a link?

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
Ben Kadow's sister killed it.. Don't bring up the sunken picnic table again didn't we have a huge thread on that?

For real props Lacey

yes and mad people were talking so much shit
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This was a good part but anyone who says it was good for anyone regardless of gender is either full of shit or watches one new video a year. If she was male this wouldn't get her shop flow.
[close]
why can't you?just for a second?get your head out of your deep, gaping asshole?

any girl who so much as steps foot on a board automatically gets treated like she has to be 20x better than the guy next to her, or else she better not step foot on that board ever again because she's just a waste of space and time. why else do you think so few girls are involved in skateboarding? because of stupid comments like that...

I hope you never raise a daughter.
[close]
I didn't say any of that you crybaby. Those are all your words.

I hope you get Alzheimer's.
[close]
you essentially said she was "good for a girl," but not good by "regular standards," did you not? am i not able to reasonably deduce that you're saying she has to be better than the guys regularly featured daily on thrasher in order for you to give a shit about her? that's the kind of shit mentality that makes girls not want to be involved in skateboarding. no matter what they do, they'll just get reduced to a novelty or never be considered to be on the same playing field.

and if you really think that part wasn't good enough to get her even on shop flow... then you're really stickin true to your username.
[close]

Expand Quote
you're saying she has to be better than the guys regularly featured daily on thrasher in order for you to give a shit about her?
[close]
Expand Quote
no matter what they do, they'll just get reduced to a novelty or never be considered to be on the same playing field.
[close]

Uh... we aren't supposed to compare her to guys but are also supposed to also place her on the same playing field as everyone else? Seems contradictory to me.

Are we supposed to look at her as "good for a girl" or good by "regular standards"? I mean, when you take away the fact that she's a girl the part isn't that great to me. I don't think anyone is saying you can't like someone's skating that isn't technically top tier but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that they aren't as good as someone else. I hate Sean Pablo but apparently people like him enough to be considered pro despite not having that much skill in my opinion. I honestly don't care that she's a girl and I'm just looking at the skating, and what I see doesn't impress me. Is she good for a girl? Sure, but nothing is keeping females from performing the same exact level of skill as a guy so of course I hold them to the same standard. If holding girls to the same standard as guys is wrong and saying that she is only good compared to other girls is wrong then what the fuck are you supposed to do?

I talk shit and hate on most guy skaters too so I really give no special treatment to Lacey when I say I don't think she's that good. If I'm a piece of shit for thinking you should look at the skating and not pay attention to the fact that she's a girl then so be it. I hope that there is a day where there are just as many female pros as males with minimal skill gap between the two, that way you don't look like a misogynist for not liking the bad ones.
[close]

Women/ Girls are highly under-represented in skateboarding...skating should acknowledge and continue to point this out. ? then again we have no problem with overly identifying with being a male right? ? But I think it's naive to think the playing field will be level especially in extreme sports, even surfing is still largely male dominated, and they dont even have to flip their boards.
[close]

Are they under-represented? I would say it's probably proportional. I just don't think there are as many women that skate as males. I don't think that's a good thing or bad thing really; it's just a fact. I doubt that people would disregard a woman that was giving Ishod Wair or K Walks a run for their money just because she was a girl. I think if women want to be represented more then of course there needs to be more that skate and there needs to be some that can perform at the same insane levels that some guys can because what is really holding them back?

I hope Lacey does excel and can become SOTY but right now I don't see many females that are pushing the envelope of what is capable on a skateboard, and I believe that they can. Making excuses for and accepting mediocre skill because someone is a girl isn't going to push them to be as good as they can be if you held them to the same insane standards that are being set by a lot of pros today.

I like a lot of pros that aren't really all that good skill wise. So I'm not saying every girl needs to be Ishod to be warranted attention, and I'm not saying someone can't like Lacey's skating but I'm not going to like her just because she's a girl. I'm just looking at skateboarding.

I think you're giving some good arguments and I actually agree with the must of them but we need to acknowledge that women are more limited physically wise as men. That's why there's no women that runs as fast as bolt, and its not because they don't work hard for it. Just women and men bodies are different and even if they push it hard they aren't able to do it. That's why we don't have mixed genders sport competitions, not just because of the absence of a penis on a women's body.
So yeah, skill wise that was a good part "for a girl", if we compare to the amount of skill shown on mens skating by today standards its lacking of course, but I think she's pushing the limits of her gender. In every other aspect we can judge it genderless and I thought it was good, with a cool flow, cool trick selection and a decent style. She rips!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:48:37 PM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
I would like to treat Lacey equally and point out that the all white should remain a Heath thing and no one else should try it.

Reading this I can't help but imagine how Heath wore a black sports bra underneath his white t-shirt the whole time in that part.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
wait how the fuck was there a huge thread about that? got a link?

click below...already covered the white outfit..and how lindsey robertson wouldn't even be shop flow for meow

That table is only 78.3% the height of a normal one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:58:04 PM by straight »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
nothing is keeping females from performing the same exact level of skill as a guy
You are literally wrong on scientific level

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
Nosemanual nollie flip was chill

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
Nosemanual nollie flip was chill
Nice kick on the nose manual nollie inward heel.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
I think you're giving some good arguments and I actually agree with the must of them but we need to acknowledge that women are more limited physically wise as men. That's why there's no women that runs as fast as bolt, and its not because they don't work hard for it. Just women and men bodies are different and even if they push it hard they aren't able to do it. That's why we don't have mixed genders sport competitions, not just because of the absence of a penis on a women's body.
So yeah, skill wise that was a good part "for a girl", if we compare to the amount of skill shown on mens skating by today standards its lacking of course, but I think she's pushing the limits of her gender. In every other aspect we can judge it genderless and I thought it was good, with a cool flow, cool trick selection and a decent style. She rips!

Expand Quote
nothing is keeping females from performing the same exact level of skill as a guy
[close]

Yeah, women aren't physically the same as men. When it comes to more conventional sports I would say most would be at a disadvantage. BUT THIS IS SKATEBOARDING! There are pros that are literally obese, some that are wanna be body builders, and some that are just skin and bone. There are children that are prodigies and grandpas that still kill it. There have been fucking midget pros! There isn't any sport that I know of that allows for such physical diversity. So yeah, I call bullshit that there is anything stopping women from skating at the same level as a guy.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah, women aren't physically the same as men. When it comes to more conventional sports I would say most would be at a disadvantage. BUT THIS IS SKATEBOARDING! There are pros that are literally obese, some that are wanna be body builders, and some that are just skin and bone. There are children that are prodigies and grandpas that still kill it. There have been fucking midget pros! There isn't any sport that I know of that allows for such physical diversity. So yeah, I call bullshit that there is anything stopping women from skating at the same level as a guy.

I heard that Lacey was two months pregnant in most of that footage. I'd love to see your favorite skater put out the same part while carrying a fetus.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »
> wonders why more girls don't skate
>> criticizes the fuck out of any girl who actually skates

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »
You can't tell me there's shit chicks do on the uneven bars or jumping into a swimming pool that are less athletic than most of skateboarding......

What about the concept of girls not being as good because they don't see enough other girls skating, or not enough girls are in it.... Why so few black vert pros?  Maybe physically they just aren't the same as white guys......hmmmm....could be.

In the end...like I said....who cares....if you want to watch skateboarding advance...go watch Shane O'Neil....

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2017, 12:14:59 AM »
You can't tell me there's shit chicks do on the uneven bars or jumping into a swimming pool that are less athletic than most of skateboarding......

What about the concept of girls not being as good because they don't see enough other girls skating, or not enough girls are in it.... Why so few black vert pros?  Maybe physically they just aren't the same as white guys......hmmmm....could be.

In the end...like I said....who cares....if you want to watch skateboarding advance...go watch Shane O'Neil....

She has a pretty good style and does pretty hard tricks so no hate on Lacey from me. Yes not as good as some guys but whatever all sports are separated in skill level between the sexes why would skate boarding skill be any different. There's a reason why there are different events for men and women in gymnastics . The spring boards and spring floors also do a lot to bridge the gap in some events. There will never be a woman competing in the rings with top level men. Their upper body strength doesn't compare. I think balance wise men and women aren't to far apart but explosive movements eg. Pop are. Men's high jump record 8'.5" women's 6'10". That's a 14 inch difference. Fucking massive. She's a good skater and not just for a girl and I'm glad there's a place in the industry for her. She doesn't have to compete with the top tier guys. The one thing about her outlook based on her interviews that I think is a little off is that she complains that she's treated like a second class skater and the contests don't pay shit but she'd be earning exactly zero dollars from skating if she was lumped in with the boys. Maybe she'd have a better relationship with skating if she worked as a graphic designer still and skated for enjoyment. free stuff and some trips as life perks from skating like most guys who are flow. Just like 5 guys in my skate crew who are better than her by a fair margin and aren't jaded about what skating owes them. They're just hyped when a box arrives in the mail and they get a fresh board or shoes to skate after work.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:19:33 AM by vancanman »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2017, 12:36:36 AM »
A good video part is a good video part, this was a good video part.
I wish i could do half of the shit Lacey did, Plus her dad was in TSOL so i liked her from the get go.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

She has a pretty good style and does pretty hard tricks so no hate on Lacey from me. Yes not as good as some guys but whatever all sports are separated in skill level between the sexes why would skate boarding skill be any different. There's a reason why there are different events for men and women in gymnastics . The spring boards and spring floors also do a lot to bridge the gap in some events. There will never be a woman competing in the rings with top level men. Their upper body strength doesn't compare. I think balance wise men and women aren't to far apart but explosive movements eg. Pop are. Men's high jump record 8'.5" women's 6'10". That's a 14 inch difference. Fucking massive. She's a good skater and not just for a girl and I'm glad there's a place in the industry for her. She doesn't have to compete with the top tier guys. The one thing about her outlook based on her interviews that I think is a little off is that she complains that she's treated like a second class skater and the contests don't pay shit but she'd be earning exactly zero dollars from skating if she was lumped in with the boys. Maybe she'd have a better relationship with skating if she worked as a graphic designer still and skated for enjoyment. free stuff and some trips as life perks from skating like most guys who are flow. Just like 5 guys in my skate crew who are better than her by a fair margin and aren't jaded about what skating owes them. They're just hyped when a box arrives in the mail and they get a fresh board or shoes to skate after work.

Yah...it's true my arguments suck because shit....skateboarding isn't a sport.....

I see the point of 'but I'm better than her'.....but don't tell me your hometown hero didn't put out a better part than BA did this year....but fuck it right? 

Skating is in a good place right now....whether we like it or not pretty much anything goes and that's why it's sick to see some chicks sneaking in there. 

No one wants to hear a skater bitch about something but she was somewhat right....if she wasn't working and could skate more she could produce something and prolly function as a pro.....

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
lil homie is sick.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Can someone address the nosegrind nollie heel on the sunken table. Is this acceptable.
[close]

I mean its not like she personally dug a pit and had a crew place the table in it so it could be lowered.

... or DID she ... ?
we're ON to you, Lacey Baker.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »

What about the concept of girls not being as good because they don't see enough other girls skating, or not enough girls are in it.... Why so few black vert pros? �Maybe physically they just aren't the same as white guys......hmmmm....could be.

Gymnastics is a terrible analogy for comparisons, Women don't do High bar or the parallel bars which requires more upper body strength and requires less finesse...womens gymnastics probably get more attention since its more about form than power. Also there are two more events in men's gymnastics than womens, so i'd say yes there is a physical gap (especially huge gaps in height).  

I also hear that halfpipes were exclusive to privileged private school types back in the days, and that people from "urban" or "ghetto" areas only had choices to skate street.  I thought about the shit i got for being a black skater, while i was growing up skating in the early 90's i got the "why are you doing that white boy shit" from all my family members / peers.  There werent skateparks and videos contained a ton of skate punk/ hardcore/ metal, so i wasnt exactly smiled upon.  

Are we gonna sit and pretend like misogyny doesn't exist in most of skateboarding.  The 9 club has had a bunch of interviews from people in the skate world and all of them were men, most of the interviews, documentaries.   Even when it's not based in actual skating most people are still only interested in males.  Its not directly outwardly saying no girls ...but some people start to wonder when something lacks diversity
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:49:00 AM by Abyss1 »

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I heard that Lacey was two months pregnant in most of that footage. I'd love to see your favorite skater put out the same part while carrying a fetus.

she's going to make a great mother...father...whatever
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I think he has one on the way.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »
I'm happy it looks like she's finally getting her due.
However, it's a little odd considering this isn't so far off from some of her last parts or what we knew she was capable of. Definitely edited better, though. I guess that's the power of presentation. Lacey rules! 

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yah...it's true my arguments suck because shit....skateboarding isn't a sport.....

I see the point of 'but I'm better than her'.....but don't tell me your hometown hero didn't put out a better part than BA did this year....but fuck it right? 

Skating is in a good place right now....whether we like it or not pretty much anything goes and that's why it's sick to see some chicks sneaking in there. 

No one wants to hear a skater bitch about something but she was somewhat right....if she wasn't working and could skate more she could produce something and prolly function as a pro.....

Skateboarding might not be a true sport but I would guess she earned the majority of her skate money in competitions that objectively score the abilities of the contestants then rank and pay them on their performance in said competition. I'm fine with skaters complaining about whatever they want. I'll also point out the hypocrisy of their opinions if I see them. Half of what I wrote directly relates to her not needing to be "the best" to have a place in the industry. If she doesn't understand why she doesn't earn ishod moneythen... And my hometown hero's are yours. See you at plaza, we can continue ranking the Dairy Queens.

bo bice

• Rep: 76
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2017, 12:16:58 AM »
i cant believe you idiots are even debating this, that was great.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2017, 02:48:40 AM »
Very very good part, I enjoyed this much more than expected. She's great!
Also compliments on her style, I love the way she pulls and holds her nose-mannies.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:40 AM »
That frontside flip was super dope.

fangen

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2017, 05:29:53 AM »
Lots of hype for this part. Meanwhile a million better ams are being ignored. Their crime, being born a male.  ~~equality~~

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »

Was hyped on her kickflips enough to put pen to paper or, um, stylus to iPad.

that's sick, send it to her and make into a shirt or a deck

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »
Has anyone brought up yet that she's better than Shawn Powers? Because she's better than Shawn Powers.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

she's going to make a great mother...father...whatever
Your argument is still moot. Wee Man is never going to skate a 12 stair rail and even the 11 year olds out killing shit aren't gonna out and get buck switch flipping macba or whatever. If girls were truly able to skate at the same level as men, then we'd have seen Alexis or Lacey or whoever kickflip noseblunt Hollywood High or some shit. Lacey even said in an interview posted in the picnic table thread that she knows that she's not going to able to skate on the same level as most of the guys who are where she is in the skate world and that she instead just cares to focus on skating how she wants and doing it well.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down