Author Topic: Lacey Baker - My World. Videopart by Thrasher Mag.  (Read 27088 times)

Durndle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
Re: Lacey Baker - My World. Videopart by Thrasher Mag.
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
tech's cool but I sexually identify as a jersey barrier

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
tech's cool but I sexually identify as a jersey barrier

i woulda guessed pole jam for you

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
Cellardoorkin

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good part. She's improved a lot since Bombshell and I liked how the ender trick to that part was her opener in this part. Pretty good style too.

I feel rather conflicted about Lacey Baker. One one hand, it's lame that the techest female skater is forced to take on other jobs to supplement her income. One the other hand, she intentionally makes herself look and sound as unmarketable as possible. I get that she doesn't feel comfortable wearing girly clothes. I don't feel very comfortable wearing a suit in meetings at my job, but I want the job, so I dress in the manner necessary to get my employer to pay me. It's like, dress however you want, but don't expect people to pay you for it.
[close]

her fits have been compared on this thread to heath and dylan, whether or not she is suceeding, she is clearly trying. Or are you saying that you think she should dress more like a "girl"? I think she looks pretty good doing her thing.
[close]

The issue I have is not with her clothes. It's the fact that she has noticed that female skaters who dress girly tend to have greater financial success than those who don't, because that's what the industry wants, and has deliberately chosen not to dress girly because she doesn't want to. Upon consciously choosing to make a fashion statement she fully understands will hurt her financially, she then whines endlessly about not having financial success.

In a world where some people end up broke despite doing everything they can to avoid it, I have little sympathy for someone who choses that route when they have the choice not to. Perhaps in the normative sense, the skateboard industry should only care about tricks and not looks, but that's not what happens in the positive sense. She doesn't want to look girly when she skates contests? So what? I don't want to look professional in Hedgeopolis or Delivering Alpha. I do what my employer wants, and if I didn't, I wouldn't complain about being broke. She's lashing out at the industry for not bending around to suit her.
[close]

I don't follow the girl skate scene that closely but other than Leticia, the two most successful skaters that come to mind are Elissa and Marisa,  neither are exactly dressing up like Barbie...

I recently started playing Tony Hawk's Project 8 - my avatar is the female skater wearing girl's jeans and element coat. I'm not sure how much this matters but when I create a female skater in a video game I make them look like a female. However I'm a male but I dress like a female. This crazy new world scares even me
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2017, 02:57:25 AM »
The rough cut is up: http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/rough-cut-lacey-baker-s-my-world-part/

and also this interview: http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/rough-cut-lacey-baker-s-my-world-part/

She seems to be a really cool, down-to-earth person, and that tre-flip photo is a beauty!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2017, 04:43:02 AM »
i liked that interview a lot better than her previous interviews where she seemed to complain a lot. i think the "i'm just doing my thing and don't care what people think" angle is much better and the way she seems to be focusing on the positive side of how things are progressing.

and this photo is so good. reminds me of that marchovich 360 flip

Melanoma

• Rep: 3
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
Found this on my youtube suggestions, sorry if its abp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XJkPtxqWM8
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:42:13 AM by Melanoma »

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2017, 10:01:59 AM »
i liked that interview a lot better than her previous interviews where she seemed to complain a lot. i think the "i'm just doing my thing and don't care what people think" angle is much better and the way she seems to be focusing on the positive side of how things are progressing.

and this photo is so good. reminds me of that marchovich 360 flip

Thanks for that pic, shows off her style well.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »

well damn, never seen that. couple of things

to my surprise 2,845,610 views and counting

comments are full of hate for *that white boy's bowl cut*. Gave me a chuckle and made me feel like Lacey must be doing something right.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »

Ariel Machine 2 weeks ago
Is lazy armanto(?

Melanoma

• Rep: 3
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Ariel Machine 2 weeks ago
Is lazy armanto(?
[close]

:D new slap moniker?

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
That interview was such a big shift from her previous ones that I'm totally on board. Good for her glad she's happier and less jaded. There are so many more girl skaters in Vancouver now than there were only a couple years ago. It's about time.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
She's got a lot bigger trick selection then sean pablo, enjoyable part overall.