Author Topic: Lacey Baker - My World. Videopart by Thrasher Mag.  (Read 27085 times)

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Lacey Baker - My World. Videopart by Thrasher Mag.
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »
I thought this part was pretty perfect. The song accentuates all the smooth flowing lines. Just the right length.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Tenterhooks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2017, 02:27:04 AM »

Was hyped on her kickflips enough to put pen to paper or, um, stylus to iPad.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2017, 02:47:32 AM »
I'm stoked. Definitely the first time I've seen a chick do a nose manual 360 flip. Regardless of gender, I enjoyed this part.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
She looks pissed off, giving everything she skates the stank eye, I enjoyed that.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
It's 2016 boys.....it's not about what's the most difficult....it's about what you enjoy watching.....

Post of the year (even if you got the wrong year).

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
This was a good part but anyone who says it was good for anyone regardless of gender is either full of shit or watches one new video a year. If she was male this wouldn't get her shop flow.
why can't you?just for a second?get your head out of your deep, gaping asshole?

any girl who so much as steps foot on a board automatically gets treated like she has to be 20x better than the guy next to her, or else she better not step foot on that board ever again because she's just a waste of space and time. why else do you think so few girls are involved in skateboarding? because of stupid comments like that...

I hope you never raise a daughter.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 39
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
Thrasher SOTY 2017. There. I said it.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »
She looks pissed off, giving everything she skates the stank eye, I enjoyed that.

Same.

She has sick style, as in how she skates and her overall appearance.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
Expand Quote
This was a good part but anyone who says it was good for anyone regardless of gender is either full of shit or watches one new video a year. If she was male this wouldn't get her shop flow.
[close]

any girl who so much as steps foot on a board automatically gets treated like she has to be 20x better than the guy next to her, or else she better not step foot on that board ever again because she's just a waste of space and time. why else do you think so few girls are involved in skateboarding? because of stupid comments like that...

I didn't say any of that you crybaby. Those are all your words.

I hope you get Alzheimer's.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
Can someone address the nosegrind nollie heel on the sunken table. Is this acceptable.

Fabricated Sex and Hoes

• Rep: -7
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
I just don't identify with the lesbian vibe, the same way I don't identify with soft lesbo type music. I'm happy that she has an outlet to do what she does, and I know there is an audience/fan base for her that makes sense. But how many of you guys are seriously into her skating, and how many are just wanting to show their support for feminism. I believe there is a reason shes on a company of all girls. I always liked Elissa because she was able to fit into a company without feeling like a token girl skater(aside from the feminine music in her parts, which i always felt was done very tongue in cheek). Are companies afraid to take a chance on marketing a female nowadays? Or is it that a lot of these females are unmarketable towards men/boys?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
I just don't identify with the lesbian vibe, the same way I don't identify with soft lesbo type music. I'm happy that she has an outlet to do what she does, and I know there is an audience/fan base for her that makes sense. But how many of you guys are seriously into her skating, and how many are just wanting to show their support for feminism. I believe there is a reason shes on a company of all girls. I always liked Elissa because she was able to fit into a company without feeling like a token girl skater(aside from the feminine music in her parts, which i always felt was done very tongue in cheek). Are companies afraid to take a chance on marketing a female nowadays? Or is it that a lot of these females are unmarketable towards men/boys?

LOL

Do you not identify with the bear and otter vibe so you dont like BA?  Get the fuck out of here.  She rips and has better style than many dudes.  I'll watch this over Glen Fox's zaney and crrrazy style or Mickey Papa's yawn inducing tech anyday
where is home?

Mongoloid

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Can someone address the nosegrind nollie heel on the sunken table. Is this acceptable.

I mean its not like she personally dug a pit and had a crew place the table in it so it could be lowered.

Fabricated Sex and Hoes

• Rep: -7
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
How many people knew that BA was gay when they watched Welcome to Hell? Sorry to say, but I'm sure it would have changed his marketability to skaters considerably. Especially teens/youth in that era. He would have also had to wear some more flamboyant shit and skate to something with a more "gay" vibe haha. Just because I don't relate to something doesn't mean I don't think its OK or respectable. I'm not speaking out against this part, it just seems odd to me that so many people are getting such a boner over it. She doesn't even like boners.

You mentioned Mickey papa, not I. Nobody would ever make a topic about him. I wonder if he was a girl with the same tricks, how she'd be treated.

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you essentially said she was "good for a girl," but not good by "regular standards," did you not? am i not able to reasonably deduce that you're saying she has to be better than the guys regularly featured daily on thrasher in order for you to give a shit about her? that's the kind of shit mentality that makes girls not want to be involved in skateboarding. no matter what they do, they'll just get reduced to a novelty or never be considered to be on the same playing field.

and if you really think that part wasn't good enough to get her even on shop flow... then you're really stickin true to your username.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:50:48 AM by Still Tippin »

Pretender

• Rep: -2
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
Fundamentally sound skating, I definitely see a strong Marc Johnson influence in her style

sms_b

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
+1, she's got that look too:

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
you essentially said she was "good for a girl," but not good by "regular standards," did you not? am i not able to reasonably deduce that you're saying she has to be better than the guys regularly featured daily on thrasher in order for you to give a shit about her? that's the kind of shit mentality that makes girls not want to be involved in skateboarding. no matter what they do, they'll just get reduced to a novelty or never be considered to be on the same playing field.

and if you really think that part wasn't good enough to get her even on shop flow... then you're really stickin true to your username.

you're saying she has to be better than the guys regularly featured daily on thrasher in order for you to give a shit about her?
no matter what they do, they'll just get reduced to a novelty or never be considered to be on the same playing field.

Uh... we aren't supposed to compare her to guys but are also supposed to also place her on the same playing field as everyone else? Seems contradictory to me.

Are we supposed to look at her as "good for a girl" or good by "regular standards"? I mean, when you take away the fact that she's a girl the part isn't that great to me. I don't think anyone is saying you can't like someone's skating that isn't technically top tier but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that they aren't as good as someone else. I hate Sean Pablo but apparently people like him enough to be considered pro despite not having that much skill in my opinion. I honestly don't care that she's a girl and I'm just looking at the skating, and what I see doesn't impress me. Is she good for a girl? Sure, but nothing is keeping females from performing the same exact level of skill as a guy so of course I hold them to the same standard. If holding girls to the same standard as guys is wrong and saying that she is only good compared to other girls is wrong then what the fuck are you supposed to do?

I talk shit and hate on most guy skaters too so I really give no special treatment to Lacey when I say I don't think she's that good. If I'm a piece of shit for thinking you should look at the skating and not pay attention to the fact that she's a girl then so be it. I hope that there is a day where there are just as many female pros as males with minimal skill gap between the two, that way you don't look like a misogynist for not liking the bad ones.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Can we get a mattchew vs. shit_for_brains photoshop poster?

Looking at you ducky.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
you're saying she has to be better than the guys regularly featured daily on thrasher in order for you to give a shit about her?
[close]
Expand Quote
no matter what they do, they'll just get reduced to a novelty or never be considered to be on the same playing field.
[close]

Uh... we aren't supposed to compare her to guys but are also supposed to also place her on the same playing field as everyone else? Seems contradictory to me.

Are we supposed to look at her as "good for a girl" or good by "regular standards"? I mean, when you take away the fact that she's a girl the part isn't that great to me. I don't think anyone is saying you can't like someone's skating that isn't technically top tier but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that they aren't as good as someone else. I hate Sean Pablo but apparently people like him enough to be considered pro despite not having that much skill in my opinion. I honestly don't care that she's a girl and I'm just looking at the skating, and what I see doesn't impress me. Is she good for a girl? Sure, but nothing is keeping females from performing the same exact level of skill as a guy so of course I hold them to the same standard. If holding girls to the same standard as guys is wrong and saying that she is only good compared to other girls is wrong then what the fuck are you supposed to do?

I talk shit and hate on most guy skaters too so I really give no special treatment to Lacey when I say I don't think she's that good. If I'm a piece of shit for thinking you should look at the skating and not pay attention to the fact that she's a girl then so be it. I hope that there is a day where there are just as many female pros as males with minimal skill gap between the two, that way you don't look like a misogynist for not liking the bad ones.

Women/ Girls are highly under-represented in skateboarding...skating should acknowledge and continue to point this out.  then again we have no problem with overly identifying with being a male right?  But I think it's naive to think the playing field will be level especially in extreme sports, even surfing is still largely male dominated, and they dont even have to flip their boards.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

My man.

I looked at it as skateboarding, and it wasn't very good skateboarding. People are giving her special treatment and saying it's amazing only because of her gender. I am not doing that. I don't see gender I see kickflip nose manuals on curbs in a professional's video part.

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
That was sick. Has anyone seen Quit Your Day Job yet? I think she has a part in that, and I'm guessing most of this was throwaway from it
Yeah I saw QYDJ.  Her part in that was just throwaway from this part it seems.  None of the cool lines and less technical manuals.  Honestly, that whole video was pretty disappointing.  Lots of the same spots over and over again, even repeated tricks on the same spot.  Felt like it was filmed in a couple months within a 20 mile radius.  

On that note, I really like this Thrasher part.  Would like to see Vanessa Torres film one of these Thrasher parts, her style is what stuck out most to me watching QYDJ.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Women/ Girls are highly under-represented in skateboarding...skating should acknowledge and continue to point this out. ? then again we have no problem with overly identifying with being a male right? ? But I think it's naive to think the playing field will be level especially in extreme sports, even surfing is still largely male dominated, and they dont even have to flip their boards.

Are they under-represented? I would say it's probably proportional. I just don't think there are as many women that skate as males. I don't think that's a good thing or bad thing really; it's just a fact. I doubt that people would disregard a woman that was giving Ishod Wair or K Walks a run for their money just because she was a girl. I think if women want to be represented more then of course there needs to be more that skate and there needs to be some that can perform at the same insane levels that some guys can because what is really holding them back?

I hope Lacey does excel and can become SOTY but right now I don't see many females that are pushing the envelope of what is capable on a skateboard, and I believe that they can. Making excuses for and accepting mediocre skill because someone is a girl isn't going to push them to be as good as they can be if you held them to the same insane standards that are being set by a lot of pros today.

I like a lot of pros that aren't really all that good skill wise. So I'm not saying every girl needs to be Ishod to be warranted attention, and I'm not saying someone can't like Lacey's skating but I'm not going to like her just because she's a girl. I'm just looking at skateboarding.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote
It's 2016 boys.....it's not about what's the most difficult....it's about what you enjoy watching.....
[close]

Post of the year (even if you got the wrong year).

I'm usually a bit behind myself.....

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Women/ Girls are highly under-represented in skateboarding...skating should acknowledge and continue to point this out. ?�then again we have no problem with overly identifying with being a male right? ?�But I think it's naive to think the playing field will be level especially in extreme sports, even surfing is still largely male dominated, and they dont even have to flip their boards.
[close]

Are they under-represented? I would say it's probably proportional. I just don't think there are as many women that skate as males. I don't think that's a good thing or bad thing really; it's just a fact. I doubt that people would disregard a woman that was giving Ishod Wair or K Walks a run for their money just because she was a girl. I think if women want to be represented more then of course there needs to be more that skate and there needs to be some that can perform at the same insane levels that some guys can because what is really holding them back?

I hope Lacey does excel and can become SOTY but right now I don't see many females that are pushing the envelope of what is capable on a skateboard, and I believe that they can. Making excuses for and accepting mediocre skill because someone is a girl isn't going to push them to be as good as they can be if you held them to the same insane standards that are being set by a lot of pros today.

I like a lot of pros that aren't really all that good skill wise. So I'm not saying every girl needs to be Ishod to be warranted attention, and I'm not saying someone can't like Lacey's skating but I'm not going to like her just because she's a girl. I'm just looking at skateboarding.

Yes under-represented and under-exposed according to this doc.  

I dont think a skater has to perform on insane levels in order to get exposed, they should provide something new or innovative, or something marketable to a different demographic of people who can and should be influenced by skateboarding, in Lacy's case, she is a woman.  

I dont think anyone is making any excuses in this thread and who defines what is "mediocre" in the skate industry.  Im pretty sure there are pro's who a lot of us consider mediocre, and SOTY's we didn't agree with, so i think that its pointless to classify.

No one is saying like her because of her gender, its more like look at what this woman is contributing to an art mainly known for its misogyny and destructive acts.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:49:59 PM by Abyss1 »

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »
Personally I really enjoyed the part. I thought she had some surprising tricks in here and is doing stuff I see as impressive. To top it off, she is doing these tricks with a style I really enjoy. Would for sure watch another part of hers and will rewatch this again.
The nose wheelie round the corner nollie 360 flip out, back smith 360 shove and the ender were all proper "wow" moments for me. I would say some of that wow factor comes from the fact that she's a girl and I haven't seen her or any other girls do these tricks with her unique and pleasing style.

I'm glad this part is inciting discussion and giving Lacey some exposure. There are a handful of girl skaters I love watching and she's one of them right up there with Marissa (we need more gnar from that girl).
 Speaking of which , what happened to her?

ALSO speaking of gnar- anyone remember when Lacey was a cute 16 year old and busting killer looking hardflips down the Berrics stairs?

Girl has a mean nollie inward too
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

7 year old

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
can't figure out where you're going with this

Sam Baptista Skateboarding For Shortys In How To Go Pro
1:03

bo golden

« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
i couldnt get any further than the lipslide to 180 out.  yes, a 180, not a 270.  that should not have gone in there.  it looked horrible.  good for her though. 

fangen

« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
hahaaha that lipslide had me in stitches. Crouchy angry poo style with jolty arms to match.