Author Topic: Bushings: Bones vs Indys  (Read 14322 times)

Loose Trucks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Bushings: Bones vs Indys
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
doh!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:02:30 PM by Loose Trucks »

cleveridiot

• Rep: 3
Re: Bushings: Bones vs Indys
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
I just did that same thing and I'm on about 5 hours of skating on orange indy conical bushings. They're comfortable but I sanded down the top bushing a bit so i can get the nut flush while keeping them loose. coming from bones, the rebound was almost the same, maybe a little slower, but hardly a problem. The best part is that you get new washers to put on with the indys and theyre almost half price. I also don't have to worry about the problems with the plastic bit (breaking or the urethane popping over them) because the indys are solid urethane.

N.L.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
I went from Bones Mediums to Indy 88a. Never going back.

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm riding the 88a right now, they haven't broken in too well just yet but they're getting there. I like em so far but they aren't letting me ride loose enough yet. Had the original Orange 90a and one of them blew up on me so I have em with the rest of my soar parts. I used to skate those bones hardcore bushings (the yellow and white ones) and then moved on to venture trucks (lows).. now my setup is 139 indy highs and man do they feel good. I normally ride my trucks in between loose and wobbly. So to answer "loose trucks" question, I recommend you try out the 90a and see how you like em.

zippy z

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:12 PM »
Stock bushings. Nut flush to the kingpin.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:12:29 PM »
bones urethane is better but I think indys fit better...

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:00:42 AM »
If you don't like breaking bushings in and you are ready to setup new set every few months, choose bones. If you have patience to break those fuckers in, which takes a lot less time than stock ones btw, choose indys and you're good. Indy aftermarket seems to last longer as they dont have that plastic insert in them.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
Bones mediums now come with a flat metal washer for the top bushing. Been riding em since they started making em.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
Indy 88a bushings did wonders for the overall feel of my board.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
Been using 90a indys for a few years now after riding medium bones. I don't know I feel like indy has a better feel to it.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

FULTON

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
I've rode Indys since the 80s.  Never thought they had a bushing problem. But on a whim last month bought bones medium for my 149 indys. The pivot cup clicked like a mofo for a few weeks, now going away. The rebound is a bit faster but I ride very loose trucks anyhow. To be honest Bones haven't "changed my life" so much. I may try Conical Indy Orange next, I had them in the past and liked them.

Randozzi

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
Skated medium and hard bones for a while and went through many sets. Over a year ago I switched to a set of conical orange Indy bushings and have had no problems with them and really like how they turn.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »
Bones mediums now come with a flat metal washer for the top bushing. Been riding em since they started making em.
What does the flat washer do? Just help protect the plastic insert or does it help with turning?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »
I recently needed to replace some bushings and the store in Seoul only had hard Indy's - 94A one's. I really had no choice but to give them at try. My googling lead me to this Slap thread... ::). Their responsiveness sucks and the washers started digging into the bushings on day one. It's been so long since I had to break in bushings where when you land weird they crunch and your board takes a hard left/right turn. I put my bones bushings back in and just swapped them around because I ride my back truck a little tighter than the front. Since the plastic piece started to dig in on the back one I just put washers on top and bottom instead of how Bone's suggests you do it - no washer on bottom and that little dinky flat one on top that comes with them.

So, basically, I just revived this thread to say fuck Indy bushings.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 12:12:24 AM »
I ride the same set of cylinders indy 94a black bushings for 2 years and they're still fucking perfect, but the breaking in was long as hell (2weeks/a month, i forgot), did you get the conicals ?

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 12:24:48 AM »
always stock indy bushings for me. they take a bit to break in but once they do they're great.

but honestly, i think why i've always stuck with them is i like the color.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »
I like the independent ones way better cause of the quality of urethane, the variety in soft to hard, the fact they come with washers. I'm a thunder guy but swear by the indy conical aftermarkets. bones eventually do the muffin top thing and they are more expensive.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 12:52:13 AM »
Used to be on the bones bushing train but tried a set of the 94A barrel bottom Indy aftermarkets and I immediately switched over. I remember it only taking like a couple days to break in. That set lasted me all the way from 2015 until just a couple months back when they finally busted.

Bought a new set immediately but this time around they took maybe a month or so of skating and tampering around with until they finally felt ok. Not sure what happened or if they changed up the formula, but they were a lot harder to break in this time around. After they're broken in though they feel as good as ever.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 05:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Indy 88a bushings did wonders for the overall feel of my board.

I’ve been riding conical 88s this summer with the nut flush with top of kingpin and there was no break in period. I also like the blood red color but now find it strange that the color was reserved for an 88 durometer bushing.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
I didn't think people actually bought third party bushings. Seems like a mental game at that point

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »
used to buy the bones medium (yellow) and soft (blues) but after destroying 3-4 sets doing slappys i'm done. those things crumble in like 2 weeks, tops. now I just use stock indys. they loosen up nicely after a few sessions of curb dancing.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
I didn't think people actually bought third party bushings. Seems like a mental game at that point

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
78a indy bushings are by far my favorite. I ride my trucks pretty loose and both the indy stock bushings and bones medium would break every couple months on me. Decided to go with the 78a indy bushings about a year ago and i’m still on the same set and never going to use any other bushings.

stophatin

• Rep: -35
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 11:59:07 PM »
Doh-doh bushings and progressive flat to conical washer kit, with Orion hollow kingpins.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
Used to be on the bones bushing train but tried a set of the 94A barrel bottom Indy aftermarkets and I immediately switched over. I remember it only taking like a couple days to break in. That set lasted me all the way from 2015 until just a couple months back when they finally busted.

Bought a new set immediately but this time around they took maybe a month or so of skating and tampering around with until they finally felt ok. Not sure what happened or if they changed up the formula, but they were a lot harder to break in this time around. After they're broken in though they feel as good as ever.

Those 94a barrel bushings are the best, as long as you stick with them through the long break in.. I'm gonna start stocking up on them whenever I see em, tightened close to flush they have the perfect balance of looseness/stability.

Diocletian

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 10:52:49 PM »
I don’t notice any difference between an Indy aftermarket conical of the same durometer as a Bones medium. You just run the risk of the urethane separating from the plastic with the Bones. But I like white bushings and Indy white bushings are way too soft so I stick with Bones. Never had an issue.

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -84
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 07:06:50 AM »
MOOG

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 08:57:45 PM »
used to love bones but now i think of them as brittle bones.  got tired of worrying which slap was going to crack them...

indy super soft (white) is the only bushing i ever ride now.  i believe the cylinder bottom is key for them not being too wheel bitey loose goose.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 10:32:04 PM »
bushings are orange