Author Topic: If you have a kid, will you encourage him or her to skate?  (Read 6103 times)

Maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65488
Re: If you have a kid, will you encourage him to skate?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
my wife squirts yea. Going to make it a priority everyday or what ever.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
I mean I'd hope they would but I wouldn't force them. I love sports so if they got into those that'd be cool too. I didn't really get balls deep into skateboarding until right before my 11th birthday so it could be a while

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »
my two year old is in to motorbikes... and burning round on his balance bike... I don't mind if he doesn't get into skating but it be rad if we could hang out at the park a bit more (i.e. dad wants to go skate)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
have a two year old, he skates with me (and also loves motorbikes like drew's kid)
not going to push him, he can do whatever he wants when he grows up but for the meantime it's a good way for us to bond

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
Are there really parents that push their kids to be pro skaters? The only one that comes to mind is that douche in FL that pushed his 5 year old into a vert ramp. I had some friends growing up that were under pressure to be hockey greats, say they had a game they would be punished at home. It's fucking crazy... I don't see too many parents wishing a skateboarding career on their youngins unless maybe they were pro? Tony is only 1 for 4 in that respect, one of them had to be good right?

asakusa75

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »
have a two year old, he skates with me (and also loves motorbikes like drew's kid)
not going to push him, he can do whatever he wants when he grows up but for the meantime it's a good way for us to bond

I have two boys, ten and eight. They both have boards in the boot of my car and pull them out maybe one in five times at the park.
Maybe Dad rolling all over the ground and yelling at the ledges is a little off-putting...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
I have two boys, ten and eight. They both have boards in the boot of my car and pull them out maybe one in five times at the park.
Maybe Dad rolling all over the ground and yelling at the ledges is a little off-putting...
Yeah that ... and the menace obsession ;)

Maggie

• Rep: -65488
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Should I have kids?

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
Should I have kids?
do you care about the environment?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
do you care about the environment?
::)

Tracer

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
Having kids is the worst thing you can do for the environment.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »
k mate ::)

shark tits

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
k mate ::)
tracer's right. the only thing more green than vegan is a green vegan who does abortion.
skate, don't procreate!

doublepeenis

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
Vegans arent even green. More like anti-green. Destroying plants to eat them for your own benefit when you could be eating animals cutting down the amount of carbon monoxide in the air.

Do you not think plants can feel pain? Have you ever even talked to the plants while high as fuck on hallucinogens? Next time you pluck a kale from the earth, just remember your killing the environment.

Making plants writhe in pain as you strip them from mother earths scalp... unforgivable.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »
the only thing more green than vegan is a green vegan who does abortion.
or vasectomies ala durianrider and his #vasectomygains crew

Do you not think plants can feel pain?

doublepeenis

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
I am personally for 100% lab synthed meals using GMO's. I am also for adoption, mostly from korea so I can boost my karate vibes.

He can have a skateboard, but if he fucks up in school its getting focused and put on facebook.

bo golden

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
nope!

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Will def expose them to it, but not force it.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
It would be cool if one of my kids started skating, and I would be really excited about it. I would really value that bonding time.

But on the other hand, I think I would be more excited if they did something else. Looking back on my life, I probably would have been a bit more successful at this point if it wasn't for skateboarding. Not going to school, drugs, and a lethargic attitude about anything besides skating has left me somewhat pessimistic about the culture that MIGHT be associated with skateboarding. Don't get me wrong though, I have loved every minute of my life with skateboarding, and wouldn't trade a thing. Just trying to look out for my kids best interest, while simultaneously making them happy. Who knows though, how skating has been, things could easily change in the future.

I would buy them a skateboard to see what they think and let them decide.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »

I'm not having kids just so I can litter......

billyerlife

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »
I have an 18 month old kid, and he loves skateboarding, but I'm pretty sure the best way to make sure a kid doesn't like something as a teenager is to push it on him or her as a kid.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »
Not my kids but I bought my nephew a complete for his 4th birthday. He never rides it but his 2.5 year old sister can't get enough. I'm adopting a daughter soon and she'll come with me to the park but it'll be her choice whether she wants to start skating. Exposed to skating but not forced to take part.

Congrats my man! Good on you for adopting! Plenty of children need loving families.

Tracer thank you for finally saying something sane for once and thanks sharktits for pushing abortion! Abortion saves the day!

I ain't about the "having kids" life but like vancanman, I'm all for adopting if I ever wanted a child. Preferably a girl from China so she can grow up to be a smart nerdy engineer/doctor/next jackie chan so she can take care of me with all her money...jk but kinda not really. If you skate I'm sure your child will eventually want to follow in your footsteps and hobbies and well. So to me, if you skate enough times of the week they'd want to join you. Hopefully they have fun and stick with it.

If they want to play sports and all that basic shit then that's cool too as long as they turn pro and make tons of money so you can exploit your child's fortune.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
Ya'll bankin on your kids growing up to be tiger woods need your head right and get on Dave's level

Gotcha Bitch

I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

sk84fun

• Rep: -42
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
it would be pretty cool to skate around with yr offspring or just watch them. definitely would have them exposed to it as i always keep multiple boards in the trunk, never know when you'll get that urge just to roll around. i remember seeing in some epicly laterd episode ty evans put carpet on his babys board. i thought that was an awesome idea

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
I lucked out big time with two boys, 6 & 2 who love skating.

My eldest thinks Gou Miyagi is god's gift to the world, that Skateline is hilarious, and that everyone on the 9 club is old.

My advice?

Set your expectations low. I had every expectation that my boys would become ballerina's or artist's or whatever they fuck they wanted and no matter what it is/was I committed to totally backing it.

It's a simple matter of exposure. Mum sleeping in on a Sunday morning? We're watching XYZ full length otherwise go play toys.

I also put both of them on one of these scooters when they started walking, because I Skate everywhere, HATE walking, and wanted them to be able to keep up with me:

(It turns by leaning just like a skateboard, instead of turning the front wheel)

After 3 years blasting around on that I reminded my eldest he was getting too big for it and we'd have to get him something else. He got a Element complete & pads for Xmas '15, took a week to get his balance right and readjust his push and he's been ripping ever since.

Best part is I've become the anti Nyjah Dad. I can't show him how to do anything or give him advice because he hulks out if he can't do it, so I just get to skate myself when we go to the park.
He learns from YouTube, practices on Tech Decks, get's amped up for skating by Skate3 and just goes outside and does his own thing; the latest is ghost riding his board under rails, down stairs etc.

My youngest runs around the house yelling Frontside Boardslide and all sorts of shit.

Life rules while it lasts.

TL;DR
PM me if you want to talk shit about kids on boards

asakusa75

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »

My eldest thinks Gou Miyagi is god's gift to the world, that Skateline is hilarious, and that everyone on the 9 club is old.

My advice?

Set your expectations low. I had every expectation that my boys would become ballerina's or artist's or whatever they fuck they wanted and no matter what it is/was I committed to totally backing it.

It's a simple matter of exposure. Mum sleeping in on a Sunday morning? We're watching XYZ full length otherwise go play toys.

I also put both of them on one of these scooters when they started walking, because I Skate everywhere, HATE walking, and wanted them to be able to keep up with me:

(It turns by leaning just like a skateboard, instead of turning the front wheel)

After 3 years blasting around on that I reminded my eldest he was getting too big for it and we'd have to get him something else. He got a Element complete & pads for Xmas '15, took a week to get his balance right and readjust his push and he's been ripping ever since.

Best part is I've become the anti Nyjah Dad. I can't show him how to do anything or give him advice because he hulks out if he can't do it, so I just get to skate myself when we go to the park.
He learns from YouTube, practices on Tech Decks, get's amped up for skating by Skate3 and just goes outside and does his own thing; the latest is ghost riding his board under rails, down stairs etc.

My youngest runs around the house yelling Frontside Boardslide and all sorts of shit.

TL;DR

This is fucking gold!!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »

My advice?

TL;DR

wait you let your 6yr old watch skateline with all the n-bombs?  and he gets the humor? It took me years to start liking skateline too (still mostly shit).  Also find it interesting he has the patience to sit through the 9 club...cartoons aren't his thing?

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote

My advice?

TL;DR
[close]

wait you let your 6yr old watch skateline with all the n-bombs?  and he gets the humor? It took me years to start liking skateline too (still mostly shit).  Also find it interesting he has the patience to sit through the 9 club...cartoons aren't his thing?

Yeah the problem with Skateline is when I used to laugh he wanted to know what was so funny. We had a big talk about naughty words before I let him watch it but we're not from the States so the N word doesn't even register with him yet.
He mainly laughs at Gary's ridiculous reactions to things.

His other passion right now is LEGO so he can definitely sit down and tune into those kind of cartoons, but otherwise he'll sit and watch half an ep of The 9 Club, but like earlier it's because I'm watching it.

Basically they just join in on things I'm doing for myself.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »
^thank for clarifying...i thought he would just go to youtube and say skateline lol

Tracer

Re: If you have a kid, will you encourage him or her to skate?
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »
LOL showing your 5 year old Thrasher content? You can't make this shit up