Author Topic: 2000s Pop Emo  (Read 9137 times)

fuddit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
2000s Pop Emo
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
Being born in the mid 90s, leaves me with a soft spot in my heart for this shit.  Am I alone with this?  Is it bad that I still listen to it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: 2000s Pop Emo
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
give me mid 90's pop punk and I'm there with ya mate

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »
Like what? I think there's a huge difference between late 90's/early 00's stuff and what most kids call emo. Jade Tree records all day though...
you never know about pre-cum 

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:53:58 AM »
Post some examples and maybe we can relate. I can almost guarantee that I'm into it though.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
jade tree, polyvinyl, crank, deep elm records etc. hell 2 the ya

fuddit

• Rep: -35
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
jade tree, polyvinyl, crank, deep elm records etc. hell 2 the ya

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »
I've seen mineral, cap'n jazz, promise ring, and american football all within the past 6-7 years. all the bands capitalizing on their posthumous popularity lol. i dug super deep into this genre back in highschool. definitely have found some random gems throughout the years

so catchy

I haven't listened to much stuff like this over past year or so but mineral is probably still best to do it IMO

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »

These guys went in a weird direction later, but I still love this shit.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Listen and love:

Saw them with The Get Up Kids, Disembodied and some Profane Existence band in Minneapolis in '99. One of the most fucked up shows I've ever seen.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »
Yeah, that one and Can't slow down...
I was a huuuuuge Thursday fan.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
Off by a few years but I've been on a huge nostalgic Jawbreaker kick lately.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
Off by a few years but I've been on a huge nostalgic Jawbreaker kick lately.
Jawbreaker doesn't count (and yeah, lots of bias on my part)! They deserve their own thread.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
American Football counts? I love them

How bout Bright Eyes? I never really thought of them as emo, but they definitely got that label in the 2000s

And yeah Jawbreaker is great, but don't fit

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
anyone here ever get into the band 'painted thin'?
not exactly emo, not exactly pop punk, not exactly hardcore but oh so beautiful
still rock them hard in 2017

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
I've seen mineral, cap'n jazz, promise ring, and american football all within the past 6-7 years. all the bands capitalizing on their posthumous popularity lol. i dug super deep into this genre back in highschool. definitely have found some random gems throughout the years

so catchy

I haven't listened to much stuff like this over past year or so but mineral is probably still best to do it IMO

Damn, Cap'n Jazz too? Didn't know about that one. You could also add The Casket Lottery, Hey Mercedes and Braid to your list of bands capitalizing on newfound popularity. Still love them (and the band you mentioned). It's funny to think about how popular this stuff has become, since at the time it was pretty much written off by 90% of the Punk/Hardcore and Indie Rock kids, so they were kind of left to their own little scene (that eventually became huge and ridiculous). Same can be said about "real" Screamo. Saw a kid at school a few weeks ago with a Jerome's Dream t-shirt and almost shat myself.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »
oh shit. this threads gonna be sick!

thursday
appleseed cast
saves the day
jets to brazil

anyone have any "emo nights" in their cities? there's a few here in SF, I've heard of a few in LA, NYC & Sacramento
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »
sum41 anyone?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
Expand Quote

so catchy

[close]
Damn, Cap'n Jazz too? Didn't know about that one. You could also add The Casket Lottery, Hey Mercedes and Braid to your list of bands capitalizing on newfound popularity. Still love them (and the band you mentioned). It's funny to think about how popular this stuff has become, since at the time it was pretty much written off by 90% of the Punk/Hardcore and Indie Rock kids, so they were kind of left to their own little scene (that eventually became huge and ridiculous). Same can be said about "real" Screamo. Saw a kid at school a few weeks ago with a Jerome's Dream t-shirt and almost shat myself.

Yea - Cap'n Jazz reunion was around 2010ish? It was super fun and they kinda played through their whole discography which was awesome. Also was not that crowded at all because I feel that it was right before they caught on again because of that algernon cadwallader band lol. damn dude seeing someone in a jerome's dream shirt out in the  wild would be crazy haha. that is rare as fuck. I dig that kinda stuff too - portraits of past, funeral diner, orchid, pg 99, etc. but also haven't listened to it in a few years. I don't know if i would like it as much now. you should join the 90s post hardcore/emo group on facebook. super active group and there is constantly random gems being posted in there

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

so catchy

[close]
[close]

Yea - Cap'n Jazz reunion was around 2010ish? It was super fun and they kinda played through their whole discography which was awesome. Also was not that crowded at all because I feel that it was right before they caught on again because of that algernon cadwallader band lol. damn dude seeing someone in a jerome's dream shirt out in the  wild would be crazy haha. that is rare as fuck. I dig that kinda stuff too - portraits of past, funeral diner, orchid, pg 99, etc. but also haven't listened to it in a few years. I don't know if i would like it as much now. you should join the 90s post hardcore/emo group on facebook. super active group and there is constantly random gems being posted in there
Don't have a Facebook man, haha. I swore to myself that I never would but I've been thinking about getting one recently for work. I've held strong so far, but I may break. I get the Emo resurgence: it's catchy and half the girls I see out in public dress like the ones who I'd see at shows 20 years ago (Fuck me, that's crazy!), the late 90s early 00s Screamo popularity is kind of odd to me though, especially in recent times (it would've made more sense in the early 2000s when the whole MTV Screamo thing was in full swing). It's not the most listenable music out there. A few years ago the guitar player in a band of young kids, probably 15 or 16, was warming up with "I Am Nietzsche" by Orchid. This was before their records (and Saetia's and pg.99's and most likely a bunch of other band's) were repressed, which is great. I've been debating selling a bunch of my collection, since the prices are so fucking ridiculous and kids are actually buying them (and I just bought a car and my monthly expenses just increased drastically).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:03:50 AM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »
Also:
The Fuel that doesn't suck ass.

This record ruled, their later stuff, not so much (see also: Piebald)

Seriously, no one's mentioned Texas is the Reason yet?!

One of the best albums of the 90's. It's perfect.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »

And...

Still get heavy rotation.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »
overly appropriate for this thread haha

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
Good timing on this thread, I've been diving into the 90's Emo scene a lot lately. Lots of good stuff in here, my favorite I've been into recently though is Braid. Listen to the drums on this song, so fucking good!

CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

How bout Bright Eyes? I never really thought of them as emo, but they definitely got that label in the 2000s

I always saw them more folk than anything but I haven't really paid much attention to their discography besides a couple albums

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
Cursive and the Good Life used to get me through some tough times with the ladies. Jenny Lewis is still an 8-bit goddess.

Mongoloid

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
The Wrens - The Meadowlands is an absolute masterpiece of an album.

It's my heartbroken go-to.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
Still love Saves the Day and Say Anything. I hd tickets for theit two tongues tour that got cancelled, that was a bummer. SA just started a tour a couple days ago but i couldnt make it out to any of the shows.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Fart Sounds

• (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I always saw them more folk than anything but I haven't really paid much attention to their discography besides a couple albums

definitely varies from album to album with Bright Eyes, but the folky thing was a later development

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Heck yeah on the bright eyes, cursive, goodlife, jenny lewis stuff.
On any given day at work I am listening to hours of Say Anything and Bright Eyes/ Conor related stuff
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 09:58:57 AM »
late 90s post hardcore

wus good