Author Topic: 2000s Pop Emo  (Read 9136 times)

Guwop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 76
Re: 2000s Pop Emo
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »
Dashboard anyone?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
you guys would cream over this:
https://collective-zine.co.uk/reviews/?id=4202
it's back in collection in Aus but I can't find a digital version of it anywhere...

edit: fuck I just found it! Well that totally made my morning, enjoy guys/ gals
http://obscuremo.blogspot.jp/2007/05/spirit.html

edit2: FUCK! I downloaded but the mp3s won't play ... anyone else able to hear these songs?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:19:57 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
I don't even really like emo but I just stumbled upon this and it's absolutely beautiful:

I was hooked at 10 secs into the first track which is rare for me these days
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:13:59 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 05:02:28 AM »
yayaya, that a 90s song. idc. trying my best to become a necromancer.

i couldn't listen to the whole record now but i still like this song.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2020, 03:01:24 AM »

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2020, 03:25:13 AM »
^ i liked that song a lot can't believe I haven't heard it before
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
  Never got any of it, in the 90s or the 00s.  Flip made me like Gray Matter but theyre 80s.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:40:40 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 04:28:53 AM »
gray matter might be classified in hindsight as an emo band. but in the 80s and early 90s that meant something different musically than late 90s or early 00s. by then there were all these subgenres already and i didn't like most of the whiny, poppy stuff. i like stuff like gray matter or embrace way more than turn of the century pop emo styles. but there were some good bands still. not taking into account the whole scene thing that came after 2000, all these mtv bands like the used. by then i was reverting back into a hip hop head and it was weird how it all blew up into this hair/nu metalesque thing a little later.

but all the harder stuff is nowadays hard to listen to for me as well. i was heavy into old chaotic screamo stuff and would download every obscure song i could find with soulseek. i still have a few 7 inches as well. they are all rare but still worthless, haha.

it's somewhat funny how punk and metal have their respective analogues in their subgenres and how they influence eachother throughout their history back and forth. in the sense that i never was a big metal head, but when i started to listen to more metal there were all these parallels. like how you have death metal and grindcore (and subsequently also death-grind) and how they are similar in themes and how they differ from their root genre in intensity if you will. or the parallels between the production and mood of an early black metal record and early primitive screamo bands (brittle guitars, vocals coming from the back, cavey/garagey production, at times similar album art). this might be an obvious truth and true for many other genres, that they have something like congruent evolution, but i think it's still interesting.

nowadays everything is pretty much a form of fusion music anyways. what's crazy how today i feel like there's all these retroactive labels popping up, especially when it comes to punk subcultures. terms like skramz and sasscore come to mind. i never heard of that back then.

kind of rambled off here. to get back on topic, here's a pop emo album i like very much to this day. kind of like a more intense version of karate.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:48:52 AM by Frank »

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2020, 05:03:49 AM »
never heard of sasscore but I'm built for that shit
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2020, 05:05:51 AM »
I still just call stuff rock, pop, punk, blues, rap etc. if a genre is more than 1 syllable I question it heavily

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2020, 06:06:45 AM »
imo sasscore is a term made up by scenesters way after fact. but if someone was there at the time i will gladly stand corrected if i'm wrong.

it means a mix of playing deliberately chaotic, wannabe smart, abstract lyrics, some sort of effeminate vocals and demeanor. basically a bunch of straight dudes acting gay and artsy, as dumb as it sounds. i don't want to clutter this thread with an example. but you can look up i.e. antioch arrow (gems of masochism especially) or maybe you are familiar with the band blood brothers. 

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2020, 06:38:14 AM »
imo sasscore is a term made up by scenesters way after fact. but if someone was there at the time i will gladly stand corrected if i'm wrong.

it means a mix of playing deliberately chaotic, wannabe smart, abstract lyrics, some sort of effeminate vocals and demeanor. basically a bunch of straight dudes acting gay and artsy, as dumb as it sounds. i don't want to clutter this thread with an example. but you can look up i.e. antioch arrow (gems of masochism especially) or maybe you are familiar with the band blood brothers.

my sister was a big blood brothers fan but i found them kinda corny save for a few songs

closest thing to that stuff I've found I can tolerate lately is Deaf Heaven and they start to wear on me after about 20 minutes