Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 10640 times)

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »
I知 sad, all my deluxe boards(1real and 2 krooked all 8.06) with a freaking 14.38 wb

Why???  Why deluxe why
probably some fucked up 8.25s they slimmed down to 8 ^^
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:24:03 AM by the snake »

Sedition

• Rep: 17
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • Concrete Existence
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
I usually ride the 32" 8.25" Deluxe shape which has a 14.38" wheel base (Indys, & I'm 5'11"). I recently tried the 31.8" 8.28" shape with a 14.1" wheel base. Wow. What a difference. Flip tricks were flying all over the place. But on any trick where my feet did not leave the board (anything from a ollie to 50/50, to gap ollies, 360 ollies, etc.), every time I landed, my front foot was waaay too far forward over the nose--to the point where I ended up nose manualing out of some tricks. Conversely, on tranny, if I ride anything over 32.5" with over a 14.5" wheels base, I feel like my stance is waaay to wide, esp. on type of nose stall / nose slide, etc. type tricks. Stability on everything else, however, feels totally on point. Moral:#wheelbaselivesmatter   

I知 sad, all my deluxe boards(1real and 2 krooked all 8.06) with a freaking 14.38 wb

Why???  Why deluxe why

They do make 14.1 and 14.25 wheel bases...
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »

Why???  Why deluxe why

I hope so snake, I hope so
Cause then I値l just power through it...with one of them and see how it goes and if it痴 bad I知 gonna have to sell the other one

I don稚 get the fondness of a longer wheel base on a narrow size. It makes sense on anything 8.25 and up but anything lower seems non sense

I usually ride the 32" 8.25" Deluxe shape which has a 14.38" wheel base (Indys, & I'm 5'11"). I recently tried the 31.8" 8.28" shape with a 14.1" wheel base. Wow. What a difference. Flip tricks were flying all over the place. But on any trick where my feet did not leave the board (anything from a ollie to 50/50, to gap ollies, 360 ollies, etc.), every time I landed, my front foot was waaay too far forward over the nose--to the point where I ended up nose manualing out of some tricks. Conversely, on tranny, if I ride anything over 32.5" with over a 14.5" wheels base, I feel like my stance is waaay to wide, esp. on type of nose stall / nose slide, etc. type tricks. Stability on everything else, however, feels totally on point. Moral:#wheelbaselivesmatter   

Why???  Why deluxe why

They do but I already have these decks/purchased them and have them on hold until I run through my current deck

The only possible thing is to probably see if the shop would let me exchange the same size for a smaller wheelbase but then they値l think I知 a kook

So far though this flip is amazing, 14.1 with thunders too and it responds so well
yes

theloniousmonk

• Rep: 5
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »
I redrilled and reshaped a board last weekend thanks to this thread. It was a 15 wheelbase clutch distribution deck, one of the skate warehouse fast white decks that they were selling for $20. It is supposed to be a mellow shape, but that thing was just long and massive. Somebody would like that shape, but I was down to redrill it to a 14.25 wheelbase.

I used an Indy 6 hole baseplate, and mounted the extra (old school) holes on the 2 mounting holes nearest the nose. That shortened the wheelbase by 3/8.then I did the tail awe well, for a total reduction of 3/4. I did the nose and tail both so that I壇 get more of f the flat space between the trucks and where the tail/nose curve up. Then, I did my best to trace and cut the baker b16 nose and tail onto the new wheelbase dimensions. I never really noticed that I really like a pointy nose and tail until I rode a b16, and now this deck skates so much better, it was a pretty massive full cut, and now it痴 almost like a football shape. Anyway it was fun getting weird and I might do the same with a 9 creature this weekend.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »

Why???  Why deluxe why

I hope so snake, I hope so
Cause then I値l just power through it...with one of them and see how it goes and if it痴 bad I知 gonna have to sell the other one

I don稚 get the fondness of a longer wheel base on a narrow size. It makes sense on anything 8.25 and up but anything lower seems non sense

Why???  Why deluxe why

They do but I already have these decks/purchased them and have them on hold until I run through my current deck

The only possible thing is to probably see if the shop would let me exchange the same size for a smaller wheelbase but then they値l think I知 a kook

So far though this flip is amazing, 14.1 with thunders too and it responds so well

To be fair, that does seem like classic-old school kook behaviour.

Eds_gallerist

• Rep: -8
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2018, 05:53:32 AM »
Does anyone know the dimensions including wheelbase of Sour boards in 8.25?  They should be manufactured by HLC for the euro market. Any comments are appreciated.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2018, 06:17:32 AM »
Does anyone know the dimensions including wheelbase of Sour boards in 8.25?  They should be manufactured by HLC for the euro market. Any comments are appreciated.

https://www.tactics.com/sour-skateboards/foil-825-skateboard-deck/blue-stain

14.25" on Tactics. Dunno if Sour does different boards for Euro and Yankland though.

Titus has that same board with a 31.875" length, while the one on Tactics is listed as 31.75".
https://www.titus-shop.com/en_GB/product/119325-Sour-Skateboards-Sour-Foil-Deck-blue.html

Could be a typo, could be different. Who knows. All I know is that I refuse to buy boards I don't know the wheelbase of. I think all brands and shops should list all the dimensions, but that's sadly not the case.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2018, 06:23:07 AM »
Had the first run of Sour 8,1 (Bareback) and then a HLC one, different graphic but also 8,1. The shape was completely different and shit, was the first run they did with HLC.

Had a HLC Habitat and compared it to the same PS Stix one, the shape was a little bit different but the WB the same.

Why not write a mail to Sour?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:25:35 AM by oneOone »

Eds_gallerist

• Rep: -8
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2018, 06:25:04 AM »
Thanks. I kind of did the same research and got annoyed by the different dimensions given online for the same product. And yeah, all brands should forward the info to the shops to list them. I will def buy at my local but want to get the specs beforehand.

Edit: thanks oneOone.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:30:35 AM by Eds_gallerist »

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 3
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2018, 04:25:51 AM »
I had found my happy place with a ps popsicle 8.5 / 14.25 on thunders. Now I致e swapped to ace the wb is too short, moving up to a 14.5.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
been skating 14.25 wb for the last couple years. I noticed a lot of polar are 14.125. would that be noticeable? I wanna try one of their decks. maybe it could be good. I mostly skate flat and ledges/curbs.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
been skating 14.25 wb for the last couple years. I noticed a lot of polar are 14.125. would that be noticeable? I wanna try one of their decks. maybe it could be good. I mostly skate flat and ledges/curbs.

I think you'd be alright. I usually skate 14" but I can go up to 14.125" and not get thrown off. Polar boards have always treated me well too.