Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 56786 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
I'm a short short dude and don't get me wrong, I still like a longer board. Just bought a new anti hero board with a 14.5 wheel base then saw this thread and now I have anxiety. Fuckin slap  :-\
Hey, if it works with you then roll with it (literally)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »
What are the benefits of a longer wheelbase?

From what I've noticed the standard short 14" wheelbase feels better, more control and turn

I know boards got wider but why did wheelbase get so much longer?? I got an 8.18 real with a 14.25 wheelbase or maybe it was 14.38
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 12:26:57 AM »
a longer wheelbase helps for boardslides, i am sure

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 01:54:07 AM »
I believe it's the most crucial dimension on a board hands down, And  it's directly proportional to your height and leg length. I ride about 14 1/8 on street , I'm about 5'11".

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
For years, maybe a decade I thought I was a 14.25 wheelbase guy, thinking length was the issue when I wasn't happy with my setup.. went to a 14 inch wheelbase and it's such a diffence I've been learning new shit and feeling better than I have in years. Wheelbase is the most important  measurement for sure. I'm a short ass 5'7"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
Your height and wheelbase is like foot size and width....it can matter but how you skate and just your preference is what counts....

Skating flat I think overall shorter works....but if you want to feel stable longer is good....

You never wanna size up or down over a quarter inch unless you've thought it through.....

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »
For years, maybe a decade I thought I was a 14.25 wheelbase guy, thinking length was the issue when I wasn't happy with my setup.. went to a 14 inch wheelbase and it's such a diffence I've been learning new shit and feeling better than I have in years. Wheelbase is the most important  measurement for sure. I'm a short ass 5'7"
Same here. Went from 8.25 with a 14.25 wb to 8.00 with 14' wb and I've felt more comfortable and in more control ever since. I am also a short ass 5'7"

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same here. Went from 8.25 with a 14.25 wb to 8.00 with 14' wb and I've felt more comfortable and in more control ever since. I am also a short ass 5'7"
Greetings my fellow short ass 5'7 guys. 14 is also my favorite but holy shit is it a hard one to find.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »
it can matter but how you skate and just your preference is what counts....
This. 
All you got is today, get out and skate.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »
Don't forget that the trucks you ride alter the factory wheelbase. Based on how the axle and kingpin geometry are designed Thunder gives you the longest and Indy the shortest wheelbase. Venture is in between.
^this

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
as mentioned ACE is even narrower.....

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Don't forget that the trucks you ride alter the factory wheelbase. Based on how the axle and kingpin geometry are designed Thunder gives you the longest and Indy the shortest wheelbase. Venture is in between.
[close]
^this

I could've sworn that venture was the one that pushed your wheelbase out the furthest, they even LOOK like they push it out moreso than most trucks but I could be mistaken. Theeve is almost dead set in the center.

Interesting to see people's preferences in here.  I'm about 5'6 with size 10 feet and broad shoulders so the 14.62" wheelbase on the DLX 8.38 Full shapes is perfect for me. Even when I dropped down to an 8.3 w/ 14.4 wheelbase I noticed the difference, but I was able to manage it when I switched from thunders to ventures. Like I said I have broad shoulders so if I'm tryna land square with my knees/feet/shoulders on a shorter board it's very awkward feeling and unnatural to me. Ventures on the 8.38 Full were okay but when I switched to theeves on that size, I was immediately catching all my fliptricks better. Must be my sweet spot with the trucks/wheelbase combo

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
...and the ocd kept growing, growing till we all got mad, broad shouldres mads and narrow shoulders mads...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
Am 6 5 with size 13 feet. Have been skating boards with wheelbases from 14.5 to almost 15(the quasi shape) inches for the past while. Usually 14.5 or 14.6 ish from DLX. Feels really nice and stable, good all round. The only downside was some flat tricks like bigspins take more effort. 180ing into grinds etc requires you to pop further away from the ledge too.

For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to try a super short 14 inch wheelbase. Bigspins are easier, sw back 180s are easier for some reason. Everything else just awful, slipping out of literally every trick even if I land properly. Can't wait to go back to a longer wheelbase, dunno what I was thinking.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
After going through deck after deck, forcing myself to ride 14.25" WBs (industry standard it seems) I knew I needed 14.3x/14.5"+ - BUT it took forever to find out that Tumyeto pumps out 31.75" L x 8.25" W with a 14.5" WB (they have shorter noses, which I desire); they're amazeballs, if a bit flat on concave and kick =(

FWIW I'm 5'11'/175lbs/US 10

Shape-wise it isn't as full (but it's not pointy either) or steep (as mentioned) as I prefer but it's the best I can find; decks are nice and light/poppy for being pstix.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
the closest i can get to 15" or higher is how i buy my shit.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »
...and the ocd kept growing, growing till we all got mad, broad shouldres mads and narrow shoulders mads...

All these years on SLAP fucked my head up

a nigga can't even buy a deck anymore without doing this shit

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For years, maybe a decade I thought I was a 14.25 wheelbase guy, thinking length was the issue when I wasn't happy with my setup.. went to a 14 inch wheelbase and it's such a diffence I've been learning new shit and feeling better than I have in years. Wheelbase is the most important� measurement for sure. I'm a short ass 5'7"
[close]
[close]
Greetings my fellow short ass 5'7 guys. 14 is also my favorite but holy shit is it a hard one to find.

Same here, 5'7/5'8 skating best with a 14"

I think primitive decks are the only decks in plenty with 8^ sizes with a 14" wheelbase besides crail boards
yes

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
For some reason i cant manual for crap on my 14' wheelbase welcome anthem shape, i don't like it much, I had been riding Moonttrimmer 2.0 which has a 14.6" wheel base and i was loving that, i'm 5'8 so i dont think my height really matters for me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:53:41 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2017, 01:04:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For years, maybe a decade I thought I was a 14.25 wheelbase guy, thinking length was the issue when I wasn't happy with my setup.. went to a 14 inch wheelbase and it's such a diffence I've been learning new shit and feeling better than I have in years. Wheelbase is the most important� measurement for sure. I'm a short ass 5'7"
[close]
[close]
[close]

I think primitive decks are the only decks in plenty with 8^ sizes with a 14" wheelbase besides crail boards
Thank you for this, I just ordered my first ever Primitive board,from sale of course, just to see how wheelbase that short would skate. 8.25 x 31.75 w/ 14 wb, looks good on paper atleast.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:06:32 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Chuck Gender

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=94518.msg2689896#msg2689896 date=1506153897
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thank you for this, I just ordered my first ever Primitive board,from sale of course, just to see how wheelbase that short would skate. 8.25 x 31.75 w/ 14 wb, looks good on paper atleast.

Would love to try but Primitive, nah. Who else got these measurements?  What's the wheelsbase of those Antihero 8.18 x 3.84 decks (e.g. Gerwer Star Charts)?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All these years on SLAP fucked my head up

a nigga can't even buy a deck anymore without doing this shit

true, and Real just added a new equation with the 4 different concaves lol

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
you guys know which brands usually offer boards with longer wheelbases? I'm 6'3" and after reading this thread I wanna try a longer wheelbase and actually know I'm skating a board with a longer wheelbase. I just had the Polar Kevin Rodrigues two fine boys board and absolutely loved the shape. Now Im thinking it might've been cause of a longer wheelbase

micky682

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
you guys know which brands usually offer boards with longer wheelbases? I'm 6'3" and after reading this thread I wanna try a longer wheelbase and actually know I'm skating a board with a longer wheelbase. I just had the Polar Kevin Rodrigues two fine boys board and absolutely loved the shape. Now Im thinking it might've been cause of a longer wheelbase
All Polar boards have stickers saying their dimensions/wheelbase.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »

I'm 6 5 and when I wanted a longer wheelbase, the 8.62 dlx shape was fantastic. 14.75 inch wheelbase. Quasi also makes a great 8.5 shape with a petty hearty wheelbase.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »
Mini logo has 15" wheelbase in 8.75 and 8.5.  I haven't looked at their smaller boards.  Their concave is cool too.  lots of flat behind the truck before the tail kicks up.  makes for more wheel bite clearance and quicker tail touch down.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm 6 5 and when I wanted a longer wheelbase, the 8.62 dlx shape was fantastic. 14.75 inch wheelbase. Quasi also makes a great 8.5 shape with a petty hearty wheelbase.
I've loved every Quasi shape I've had but havent had a dlx board in a bit so I'm definitely gonna check out the 8.62
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah I just peeled mine off before gripping it so I didnt even look at the wheelbase or anything. I looked up another Kevin Rodrigues board and the wheelbase was 14.5 so it was probably the same on mine

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
Mini logo has 15" wheelbase in 8.75 and 8.5.  I haven't looked at their smaller boards.  Their concave is cool too.  lots of flat behind the truck before the tail kicks up.  makes for more wheel bite clearance and quicker tail touch down.

Damn now your making me really consider this mini logo deck I been eye balling cause I know they know how to make good shapes and my previous experience the deck was nice and stiff and popped really well, the shape was very unique too. Good Concave where it counted and flat at the pop areas
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I've loved every Quasi shape I've had but havent had a dlx board in a bit so I'm definitely gonna check out the 8.62
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah I just peeled mine off before gripping it so I didnt even look at the wheelbase or anything. I looked up another Kevin Rodrigues board and the wheelbase was 14.5 so it was probably the same on mine

Yup, if you don't mind the width of the 8.62, I would highly recommend it, honestly a really good, all round shape. Don't know anyone who didn't like it. If it's too wide, I believe there is an 8.5 full shape that has a 14.6 wheelbase which is also great. Two of my favourite DLX shapes.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
So many variables in WB from board length to the size of the skater, its almost a crap shoot till you find what is good for you. Although, all really good skaters can ride any shape or size board, most of the normal folk needs as much help as possible. I tried to be a vert skater for a bit and went up to 8.5" by 32.5" with a 15" wheelbase. It was stable on big vert ramps, but sucked on mini or even ramps up to 7'-8'. Even trying to street ollie for me made the nose hit the side of my leg. So I went back to an ATV 8.4" by 32" with a 14.5" WB. Its pretty much the best size for me at 6.0" tall. I feel a shorter board and wheel base might help with a higher Ollie, but I dont think it could handle a fast bowl over 6' deep. So i just balanced it out with what I ride now.

Interesting that ACE gives you a shorter wheelbase through truck design, as mentioned earlier. I'd like to investigate that a bit further.