Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 56731 times)

sweet pee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:55 AM »
The Chico Brenes 9" wide Big Boy decks all seem to have a 14" wheelbase. Noses and tails are pretty long too, for those of you into that  ;)

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=83861

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=81299

micky682

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2018, 06:57:14 AM »
The Chico Brenes 9" wide Big Boy decks all seem to have a 14" wheelbase. Noses and tails are pretty long too, for those of you into that  ;)

Crailtap wood is what is keeping me from ever buying one. if Real, Baker, Isle can spend the money to make quality decks what's stopping Rickk and Mike?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Crailtap wood is what is keeping me from ever buying one. if Real, Baker, Isle can spend the money to make quality decks what's stopping Rickk and Mike?
This! It's gone on for too long now. Every indy company out there is using at least PS Stix

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bolshevism! Sheer bolshevism!

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Welcome Atheme shape is PS Stix 8.8 with a 14" WB and pretty similar to the Crail Big Boy (Jr.) with just slightly shorter nose and tail.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »
Crail wood is apparently better now...I'm gonna assume crail has a few more expenses than those smaller brands.....

micky682

« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2018, 05:47:53 AM »
Crail wood is apparently better now...I'm gonna assume crail has a few more expenses than those smaller brands.....
Supposedly it is still Chinese wood. I'd like to think that a company like Baker or Krooked has similar expenses to Crailtap and they still sell generator/bbs decks.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
I really hope the new one-offs are the old wood because I set up my Brenes Big Boy "bialetti" (which seems like it has a different type of glossy top finish than normal) just to do ollies in my basement while the weather is bad and it already has pressure cracks on the bolts and a pressure crack on the curve of the tail. Maybe it's the weather, but it was indoors for a couple weeks before I set it up. The one I'm skating now is from like a year ago and has lasted fine.

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »

I'm riding a Chocolate right now and it's perfectly fine.

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »
Anyone know of any 8.25 boards with 14" wheelbase?

I've only seen chocolate boards but I don't want shitty wood for a good wheelbase.

People that have tried a bunch of different wheelbases, would the differences between 14.25, 14.125, and 14 actually matter? I don't want to spazz out but if it makes a difference I'll try it. I'm 5' 7" if that matters.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »

I've only seen chocolate boards but I don't want shitty wood for a good wheelbase.

People that have tried a bunch of different wheelbases, would the differences between 14.25, 14.125, and 14 actually matter? I don't want to spazz out but if it makes a difference I'll try it. I'm 5' 7" if that matters.

0.25" makes a significant difference IMO. 14" feels way too short for me, 14.25" doable, but still short and 14.5" feels alright. Haven't tested longer wheelbases properly cuz they're not that easy to come by without sizing up a whole bunch in width.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

How so better? I been wanting to try another crail but hmmm....

Primitive
yes

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Damn so chocolate and primitive are my dudes  :'(

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2018, 06:53:08 AM »

Looks like FA/Hockey have mostly 14" WB on their 8-8.25s.  I just got a wknd that measures 8.25 and 14 WB.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »

I just got Doom Sayers 8.28x32 with 14 wheelbase.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
Wheelbase matters definitely!

Just got done with my krooked 8.06 that had a 14.25 or 14.38 wb and went to a flip 8.13 with 14.12 wb and it definitely feels better pop wise, less drag and more response

I guess like Ben degros I’m just gonna have to swap trucks depending on deck Cause that krooked was cool but it did feel long and had a lot of drag moments but felt a little better when I had Indy’s on instead of thunders
yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2018, 05:12:15 PM »
northern co. too no?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Probably spamming or double posting or whatever but guys guy guys!

I haven’t felt a pop and response with such crispyness in a deck like this since my 7.8 days and it’s cause damn, this shorter flip deck is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than my krooked

I can do everything I use to and more, the krooked had its moments or lots with being too long feeling and I had to really try for certain tricks or just casual speedy pop up curbs and such

Basically a wheelbase that works with our height or whatever(me being 5’8) this shorter wheelbase responds and pops wayyyyyyyy better
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »

I haven’t felt a pop and response with such crispyness in a deck like this since my 7.8 days and it’s cause damn, this shorter flip deck is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than my krooked

I can do everything I use to and more, the krooked had its moments or lots with being too long feeling and I had to really try for certain tricks or just casual speedy pop up curbs and such

Basically a wheelbase that works with our height or whatever(me being 5’8) this shorter wheelbase responds and pops wayyyyyyyy better

I'm 6'1 with size 12 feet and I love the feel of 7.78-7.8 decks! They feel like they're a part of your feet, as apposed to riding on top of something.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm 6'1 with size 12 feet and I love the feel of 7.78-7.8 decks! They feel like they're a part of your feet, as apposed to riding on top of something.

Damn a 7.8 to you is probably like a zip zinger nano to me
yes

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »
Never thought about wheelbase is my life. I wonder if I’m fuckin up

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn a 7.8 to you is probably like a zip zinger nano to me

Its fun but doesn't feel safe for anything with consequences lol

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2018, 09:24:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

0.25" makes a significant difference IMO. 14" feels way too short for me, 14.25" doable, but still short and 14.5" feels alright. Haven't tested longer wheelbases properly cuz they're not that easy to come by without sizing up a whole bunch in width.
came from a 14.5 to a 14.25, and I feel the difference, more response but a lil too short to be comfortable with (only 3 sessions now), 14.5 felt good since the beginning, always had 14.38 before that
crazy how 4mm can change everything 

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2018, 05:47:47 AM »
Went from 14.75" down to 14" (14.75-14.38-14.25-14)and I can tell you that wheelbase makes difference, my flip game is on point with this 14"wb but my transition game is suffering. Long wheelbase for tranny and short for street is my choice.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:52:08 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
Long wheelbase for tranny and short for street is my choice.

This.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
Went from 14.75" down to 14" (14.75-14.38-14.25-14)and I can tell you that wheelbase makes difference, my flip game is on point with this 14"wb but my transition game is suffering. Long wheelbase for tranny and short for street is my choice.

Yup.

That's why I try and stick with 14.3x right in the middle...tho narrow boards with long WBs feel weird, just long wide decks with short ones.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »
When you calculate the moment of inertia of something, like a skateboard pivoting about its rear axle, the effect of the bits is a function of their radius from the pivot point raised to the fourth power (i.e. x^4).  That is big.

If you are swapping parts around and trying to analytically determine which has the biggest effect you might want to look at the amount of angular rotation the board has to go through before the tail hits the ground.  This is like agonizing over the height of the board with 56 mm and a riser vs. 54 mm no riser and shit like that.  When you make those typed of changes you might see 3 degrees of difference on a value of about 35 degrees or so.

Run the numbers on these two factors and you can "prove" that the wheelbase makes a much bigger difference than the other thing.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »
When you calculate the moment of inertia of something, like a skateboard pivoting about its rear axle, the effect of the bits is a function of their radius from the pivot point raised to the fourth power (i.e. x^4).  That is big.

If you are swapping parts around and trying to analytically determine which has the biggest effect you might want to look at the amount of angular rotation the board has to go through before the tail hits the ground.  This is like agonizing over the height of the board with 56 mm and a riser vs. 54 mm no riser and shit like that.  When you make those typed of changes you might see 3 degrees of difference on a value of about 35 degrees or so.

Run the numbers on these two factors and you can "prove" that the wheelbase makes a much bigger difference than the other thing.

If your saying wheel base matters more than the height of trucks I would say that’s true, cause even when I swapped over to the flip with a smaller wheelbase and used the old krooked to see if my Indy low would help get what’s left out of the krooked the long wheel base still feels off even with these super low quick pop Indy lows

This kinda turns me off of deluxe stuff cause idk, I like it a lot when my board actually responds the way I want with a shorter wheelbase
yes

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2018, 01:40:46 AM »
I usually ride the 32" 8.25" Deluxe shape which has a 14.38" wheel base (Indys, & I'm 5'11"). I recently tried the 31.8" 8.28" shape with a 14.1" wheel base. Wow. What a difference. Flip tricks were flying all over the place. But on any trick where my feet did not leave the board (anything from a ollie to 50/50, to gap ollies, 360 ollies, etc.), every time I landed, my front foot was waaay too far forward over the nose--to the point where I ended up nose manualing out of some tricks. Conversely, on tranny, if I ride anything over 32.5" with over a 14.5" wheels base, I feel like my stance is waaay to wide, esp. on type of nose stall / nose slide, etc. type tricks. Stability on everything else, however, feels totally on point. Moral:#wheelbaselivesmatter   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
I usually ride the 32" 8.25" Deluxe shape which has a 14.38" wheel base (Indys, & I'm 5'11"). I recently tried the 31.8" 8.28" shape with a 14.1" wheel base. Wow. What a difference. Flip tricks were flying all over the place. But on any trick where my feet did not leave the board (anything from a ollie to 50/50, to gap ollies, 360 ollies, etc.), every time I landed, my front foot was waaay too far forward over the nose--to the point where I ended up nose manualing out of some tricks. Conversely, on tranny, if I ride anything over 32.5" with over a 14.5" wheels base, I feel like my stance is waaay to wide, esp. on type of nose stall / nose slide, etc. type tricks. Stability on everything else, however, feels totally on point. Moral:#wheelbaselivesmatter   

I’m sad, all my deluxe boards(1real and 2 krooked all 8.06) with a freaking 14.38 wb

Why???  Why deluxe why
yes