Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 56736 times)

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »
I’m sad, all my deluxe boards(1real and 2 krooked all 8.06) with a freaking 14.38 wb

Why???  Why deluxe why
probably some fucked up 8.25s they slimmed down to 8 ^^
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:24:03 AM by the snake »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
Expand Quote
I usually ride the 32" 8.25" Deluxe shape which has a 14.38" wheel base (Indys, & I'm 5'11"). I recently tried the 31.8" 8.28" shape with a 14.1" wheel base. Wow. What a difference. Flip tricks were flying all over the place. But on any trick where my feet did not leave the board (anything from a ollie to 50/50, to gap ollies, 360 ollies, etc.), every time I landed, my front foot was waaay too far forward over the nose--to the point where I ended up nose manualing out of some tricks. Conversely, on tranny, if I ride anything over 32.5" with over a 14.5" wheels base, I feel like my stance is waaay to wide, esp. on type of nose stall / nose slide, etc. type tricks. Stability on everything else, however, feels totally on point. Moral:#wheelbaselivesmatter   
[close]

I’m sad, all my deluxe boards(1real and 2 krooked all 8.06) with a freaking 14.38 wb

Why???  Why deluxe why

They do make 14.1 and 14.25 wheel bases...
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote

Why???  Why deluxe why
[close]

I hope so snake, I hope so
Cause then I’ll just power through it...with one of them and see how it goes and if it’s bad I’m gonna have to sell the other one

I don’t get the fondness of a longer wheel base on a narrow size. It makes sense on anything 8.25 and up but anything lower seems non sense

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I usually ride the 32" 8.25" Deluxe shape which has a 14.38" wheel base (Indys, & I'm 5'11"). I recently tried the 31.8" 8.28" shape with a 14.1" wheel base. Wow. What a difference. Flip tricks were flying all over the place. But on any trick where my feet did not leave the board (anything from a ollie to 50/50, to gap ollies, 360 ollies, etc.), every time I landed, my front foot was waaay too far forward over the nose--to the point where I ended up nose manualing out of some tricks. Conversely, on tranny, if I ride anything over 32.5" with over a 14.5" wheels base, I feel like my stance is waaay to wide, esp. on type of nose stall / nose slide, etc. type tricks. Stability on everything else, however, feels totally on point. Moral:#wheelbaselivesmatter   
[close]

Why???  Why deluxe why
[close]

They do but I already have these decks/purchased them and have them on hold until I run through my current deck

The only possible thing is to probably see if the shop would let me exchange the same size for a smaller wheelbase but then they’ll think I’m a kook

So far though this flip is amazing, 14.1 with thunders too and it responds so well
yes

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »
I redrilled and reshaped a board last weekend thanks to this thread. It was a 15” wheelbase clutch distribution deck, one of the skate warehouse fast white decks that they were selling for $20. It is supposed to be a mellow shape, but that thing was just long and massive. Somebody would like that shape, but I was down to redrill it to a 14.25” wheelbase.

I used an Indy 6 hole baseplate, and mounted the extra (old school) holes on the 2 mounting holes nearest the nose. That shortened the wheelbase by 3/8”.then I did the tail awe well, for a total reduction of 3/4”. I did the nose and tail both so that I’d get more of f the flat space between the trucks and where the tail/nose curve up. Then, I did my best to trace and cut the baker b16 nose and tail onto the new wheelbase dimensions. I never really noticed that I really like a pointy nose and tail until I rode a b16, and now this deck skates so much better, it was a pretty massive full cut, and now it’s almost like a football shape. Anyway it was fun getting weird and I might do the same with a 9” creature this weekend.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Why???  Why deluxe why
[close]
[close]

I hope so snake, I hope so
Cause then I’ll just power through it...with one of them and see how it goes and if it’s bad I’m gonna have to sell the other one

I don’t get the fondness of a longer wheel base on a narrow size. It makes sense on anything 8.25 and up but anything lower seems non sense

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why???  Why deluxe why
[close]

[close]

They do but I already have these decks/purchased them and have them on hold until I run through my current deck

The only possible thing is to probably see if the shop would let me exchange the same size for a smaller wheelbase but then they’ll think I’m a kook

So far though this flip is amazing, 14.1 with thunders too and it responds so well

To be fair, that does seem like classic-old school kook behaviour.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2018, 05:53:32 AM »
Does anyone know the dimensions including wheelbase of Sour boards in 8.25?  They should be manufactured by HLC for the euro market. Any comments are appreciated.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2018, 06:17:32 AM »
Does anyone know the dimensions including wheelbase of Sour boards in 8.25?  They should be manufactured by HLC for the euro market. Any comments are appreciated.

https://www.tactics.com/sour-skateboards/foil-825-skateboard-deck/blue-stain

14.25" on Tactics. Dunno if Sour does different boards for Euro and Yankland though.

Titus has that same board with a 31.875" length, while the one on Tactics is listed as 31.75".
https://www.titus-shop.com/en_GB/product/119325-Sour-Skateboards-Sour-Foil-Deck-blue.html

Could be a typo, could be different. Who knows. All I know is that I refuse to buy boards I don't know the wheelbase of. I think all brands and shops should list all the dimensions, but that's sadly not the case.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2018, 06:23:07 AM »
Had the first run of Sour 8,1 (Bareback) and then a HLC one, different graphic but also 8,1. The shape was completely different and shit, was the first run they did with HLC.

Had a HLC Habitat and compared it to the same PS Stix one, the shape was a little bit different but the WB the same.

Why not write a mail to Sour?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:25:35 AM by oneOone »

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2018, 06:25:04 AM »
Thanks. I kind of did the same research and got annoyed by the different dimensions given online for the same product. And yeah, all brands should forward the info to the shops to list them. I will def buy at my local but want to get the specs beforehand.

Edit: thanks oneOone.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:30:35 AM by Eds_gallerist »

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2018, 04:25:51 AM »
I had found my happy place with a ps popsicle 8.5 / 14.25 on thunders. Now I’ve swapped to ace the wb is too short, moving up to a 14.5.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
been skating 14.25” wb for the last couple years. I noticed a lot of polar are 14.125”. would that be noticeable? I wanna try one of their decks. maybe it could be good. I mostly skate flat and ledges/curbs.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
been skating 14.25” wb for the last couple years. I noticed a lot of polar are 14.125”. would that be noticeable? I wanna try one of their decks. maybe it could be good. I mostly skate flat and ledges/curbs.

I think you'd be alright. I usually skate 14" but I can go up to 14.125" and not get thrown off. Polar boards have always treated me well too.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
This thread is fucking me up I'm 5'9, skinny, shoe size 10 and I ride Tensor 6.0 reg my next board is going to be either a Real Low Pro 8.43 with a 14.75 wheelbase or a habitat 8.5 with a 14.25 wheelbase which is better and how are tensors going to affect the wheelbase on either one? please if anyone can help me out
Measure wheelbase with trucks, where do I put the measuring tape? bolts? kingpin? and what measures do I know it's too much or too little or just right?
This bothered me before and after reading this thread I must choose the best wheelbase lol please help, thank you.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2018, 07:20:21 PM »
This thread is fucking me up I'm 5'9, skinny, shoe size 10 and I ride Tensor 6.0 reg my next board is going to be either a Real Low Pro 8.43 with a 14.75 wheelbase or a habitat 8.5 with a 14.25 wheelbase which is better and how are tensors going to affect the wheelbase on either one? please if anyone can help me out
Measure wheelbase with trucks, where do I put the measuring tape? bolts? kingpin? and what measures do I know it's too much or too little or just right?
This bothered me before and after reading this thread I must choose the best wheelbase lol please help, thank you.

Which Tensors are you using? If you're using the new ATG ones they should shorten the wheel base.

From my experience:
Shorter wheelbase = quicker pop, less effort, tends to feel less stable, normally smaller deck length
Longer wheelbase = more stable pop, more effort to pop, easier to float, nice and stable for grinds, tends to have longer deck length

The point where you'd be measuring with the trucks are on is the center of the axel to the center axel on the other truck.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2018, 04:05:20 AM »

just skate

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2018, 04:07:34 AM »
Expand Quote
please if anyone can help me out
Measure wheelbase with trucks, where do I put the measuring tape? bolts? kingpin?
[close]

The point where you'd be measuring with the trucks are on is the center of the axel to the center axel on the other truck.

Yes that would give you the "true" wheelbase but don't get that confused with what's listed as a boards wheelbase.
Seems like deck brands list the length between the inner truck mounting holes as wheelbase.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2018, 04:38:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which Tensors are you using? If you're using the new ATG ones they should shorten the wheel base.

From my experience:
Shorter wheelbase = quicker pop, less effort, tends to feel less stable, normally smaller deck length
Longer wheelbase = more stable pop, more effort to pop, easier to float, nice and stable for grinds, tends to have longer deck length

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. The Tensors I'm riding are the REG Aluminium 6.0 clear black trucks  :)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
14.75 wheelbase is fucked if you aren’t used to it, fun to cruise round on but not for street skating (unless you’re pro for welcome)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
14.75 wheelbase is fucked if you aren’t used to it, fun to cruise round on but not for street skating (unless you’re pro for welcome)

As someone who is skating a 14.81, this is very true. You get used to it after a while, but those first few sessions will have you questioning all of your life's decisions.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As someone who is skating a 14.81, this is very true. You get used to it after a while, but those first few sessions will have you questioning all of your life's decisions.
yeah, film your first ollie on a 14.75 for me please, I don't even think I landed mine...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
 I got a custom popsical stick with 15.75.   I'm porportionally like a short person skating a regular wheel base I feel. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2018, 11:01:37 PM »

The only good thing they are good for streetwise is tricks that are prone to over rotation (fakie tres etc) coz the board is so bloody long takes so much effort to spin. But very comfortable to ride on and just feels safe and solid to do tricks on even though its harder usually.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2018, 06:37:10 AM »
Currently thinking about going from my 8.3 scumco with a 14 inch wb to a roger with a 14.5 which I know is a bad idea but I’m kinda itching to get back on a roger. I’m 5’7” for reference. Am I going to hate myself?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2018, 09:16:38 AM »
just wanna chip in and say 14.375 wb with ventures is a dream. maybe i'm crazy or maybe you should try it.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2018, 09:32:05 AM »
just wanna chip in and say 14.375 wb with ventures is a dream. maybe i'm crazy or maybe you should try it.
Currently on indys but I was kinda eyeing some ventures awhile ago

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2018, 09:33:39 AM »
Anyone know how much exactly independents shorten up the feel of the wheelbase ?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
Anyone know how much exactly independents shorten up the feel of the wheelbase ?
That is a relative question. If compare to Thunders, Indys are about .25 shorter. Compared to Aces, Indys have a longer wheelbase.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
Ventures with 14.25-375 wheelbase is perfect for me. Im 5ft9 inches size us 9 shoes
Going from 14 in to 14.5 you willl feel a difference maybe you might like it?