Author Topic: Country Teasers  (Read 5094 times)

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Country Teasers
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:09:10 AM »
I am rather curious who on this forum is into this band.
The sarcasm and artistic approach to covering the perverted ways of society, and their behavior that is only detrimental to themselves is ported so well by Benedict Ben Wallers and his band.

Supply some feedback, mates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdETUT_YhCg

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
Re: Country Teasers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
Been a fan for a long time. I definitely like the more upbeat stuff the most, mainly the first couple albums.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I've posted this a few times on here but the teasers are by far my favorite band of all time. Like many I like their earliest stuff the most, but I love everything they've done, including Ben wallers' stuff as The Rebel. I also have quite a collection of posters, promo ads and some rare t shirts that I'd love to show off if anybody cares.

Rumor is there's a new album in the works and a possible tour.

Also one of my favorite live shows I've ever been to; at the Hemlock right before Science Hat came out. Triple guitar attack!
http://youtu.be/bg5fmu4QZr8

The few times I've seen him after that they've mellowed out, still fucked though

Grampa

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Let's see your gear.

A couple years ago I ordered a Teasers shirt from some dude who bootlegged a shirt that was being sold on their first US tour. It was a design I'd wanted for a long time. He ended up the sending me a Rebel shirt instead. I was pretty bummed, considering I'm not much of a Rebel fan and everyone always thinks I'm just wearing a shirt with a giant swastika on it. But I still wear it. Spent 15 bucks, I'm getting my money's worth.

I don't hate the Rebel by any means. How can anyone hate this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHwiO3tGdc

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »
I've posted this a few times on here but the teasers are by far my favorite band of all time. Like many I like their earliest stuff the most, but I love everything they've done, including Ben wallers' stuff as The Rebel. I also have quite a collection of posters, promo ads and some rare t shirts that I'd love to show off if anybody cares.

Rumor is there's a new album in the works and a possible tour.

Also one of my favorite live shows I've ever been to; at the Hemlock right before Science Hat came out. Triple guitar attack!
http://youtu.be/bg5fmu4QZr8

The few times I've seen him after that they've mellowed out, still fucked though

Wow! A tour would be absolutely grand. Yes, please feel free to show me some of the gear, or let me know if you know where I can purchase a shirt.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »
Cool I'll post it up soon, currently out of town and cruising slap on my phone.

I used to have one tour shirt of theirs which had a nice fat swastika/heart combo, wasnt the best shirt and never left my closet.

Here is also a really cool recent Wallers interview I saw on the terminal boredom forum awhile back
http://rokkosadventures.at/pdfs/Rokkos15_CountryTeasers.pdf

You guys ever hear The Devil LP he put out a year or so ago?

Grampa

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
I listened to that Devil LP once when it was online (maybe it still is?) . Wasn't a huge fan to be honest, enough to not buy it. Maybe I'll give it another chance sometime.

Bea!, do you post on Termbo? Makes sense considering what you've posted on here, music-wise.

Ben Wallers played here in Austin twice in the past couple of years, and I've stupidly missed him both times. I think voluntarily too...  According to friends who played the shows with him, he's stated he isn't coming back.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 05:06:15 PM »
Cool I'll post it up soon, currently out of town and cruising slap on my phone.

I used to have one tour shirt of theirs which had a nice fat swastika/heart combo, wasnt the best shirt and never left my closet.

Here is also a really cool recent Wallers interview I saw on the terminal boredom forum awhile back
http://rokkosadventures.at/pdfs/Rokkos15_CountryTeasers.pdf

You guys ever hear The Devil LP he put out a year or so ago?

I have heard The Devil Lp...I actually like it a lot. I recently found out too that The Rebel did a cover of Siouxsie and The Banshees' Arabian Knights, which is a fantastic song, and Wallers did grand on covering it.
I'm quite new to any of his projects but will say that I am currently obsessed with his projects and his enigmatic persona.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Gramps... I used to post on Termbo (and prev. blank generation board) all the time a few years back, although it has been a really long time.  I still check it periodically, just to keep up with what is new in the music world.  i had a feeling you posted there.  I should really sign back up.. the overall tone has died down a lot since a few of the more record-nerdiest old guy posters stopped posting, i no longer have to get in an angry debate about why australian X is better than the LA X and so forth!  Do you post on there regularly?  I noticed there's a skateboard thread that gets updated once in a blue moon.

Yeah I dug that Devil LP, although I'm definitely a glutton for anything Wallers' releases.  I obviously haven't heard EVERY Rebel album, but quite a few, including some tapes he was kind enough to send me since I had been such a fanboy for along time.  Not sure which ones you have Mr. Kamikazi, but if you haven't heard 'Prawns', 'K.I.T.' and 'the Rocket Breaks Down' those are my favorites.  The one with the Siouxsie cover is the album Sacred Bones released, which is awesome.

Have you guys heard any of the other Country Teasers' related bands like the Yummy Fur and Male Nurse?  Ben Wallers wasn't involved but they shared some members, both are pretty cool and Teasers-esque.

I still plan on posting some pics of my odds and ends after I get them together.  So stoked to be talking about them on this board.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
Gramps... I used to post on Termbo (and prev. blank generation board) all the time a few years back, although it has been a really long time.  I still check it periodically, just to keep up with what is new in the music world.  i had a feeling you posted there.  I should really sign back up.. the overall tone has died down a lot since a few of the more record-nerdiest old guy posters stopped posting, i no longer have to get in an angry debate about why australian X is better than the LA X and so forth!  Do you post on there regularly?  I noticed there's a skateboard thread that gets updated once in a blue moon.

Yeah I dug that Devil LP, although I'm definitely a glutton for anything Wallers' releases.  I obviously haven't heard EVERY Rebel album, but quite a few, including some tapes he was kind enough to send me since I had been such a fanboy for along time.  Not sure which ones you have Mr. Kamikazi, but if you haven't heard 'Prawns', 'K.I.T.' and 'the Rocket Breaks Down' those are my favorites.  The one with the Siouxsie cover is the album Sacred Bones released, which is awesome.

Have you guys heard any of the other Country Teasers' related bands like the Yummy Fur and Male Nurse?  Ben Wallers wasn't involved but they shared some members, both are pretty cool and Teasers-esque.

I still plan on posting some pics of my odds and ends after I get them together.  So stoked to be talking about them on this board.

I heard the Siousxsie cover, and of course, Wallers nailed it.
The Male Nurse is great, as I was just listening to the Peel Sessions from them.

Grampa

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »

Yeah, Ive been posting sporadically for the past ten years or so. Like you, mainly just to keep up with newer stuff. Never been too much of a record nerd so never have much to add. I don't think the skate thread has been updated in at least two years unfortunately.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
bumping this age old thread for the 2/3 guys who care:

If you haven't heard, Ben and Alastair from the Teasers have a new album out... under the name The Stallion and it's a complete cover of Pink Floyd's The Wall.  It's as fucking awesome as you would expect... triple LP of complete prog/synth/industrial/noise/whatever the fuck else. 

https://noisey.vice.com/en_au/article/7xkadz/the-stallion-covered-pink-floyds-the-wall-and-somehow-made-it-longer

Not sure if the vinyl is still available but you can download it on itunes.  It's worth it.

(as a side note... there's a pic of the two of them with what appears to be a janky quarter pipe on the side of the frame)

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:29:44 AM »
have never checked out this band but have seen/heard the name for years. what album should I start with?

Grampa

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 03:12:36 PM »
have never checked out this band but have seen/heard the name for years. what album should I start with?

Satan Is Real Again is probably my favorite. Should give you a pretty decent understanding of what directions they take the music. The first album is also very good, yet more straightforward. After that, I’d recommend Destroy All Human Life.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Satan Is Real Again is probably my favorite. Should give you a pretty decent understanding of what directions they take the music. The first album is also very good, yet more straightforward. After that, I’d recommend Destroy All Human Life.

yeah I'd recommend starting from the beginning and just go from there.  The earliest records are a bit more straightforward Fall-esque racket, after that they start experimenting and just about every album is different (but not too different).  The 'Science Hat...' double LP is a great collection of odds and ends, including one my favorite sounding records of theirs (Back To The Future). 

If you really dig them then check out The Rebel, the frontman's solo project.  A bit more minimal electronics/experimental than the Teasers.  That Stallion LP i posted above is great as well.

Also if you're a nut like me check out some of the bands that influenced them... obviously The Fall, but also Rancid Hell Spawn and Datblygu.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
Just listened to their first two albums today for the first time and I already love these guys. I'm not sure how I've overlooked them because I've listened to almost every related band on their Spotify page, but either way I'm really happy I finally headed their stuff. Satan is real again had me cracking up.

I've seen that Floyd cover album pop up a lot lately, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. The vice interview where he rips on Syd Barret had me laughing.

edit: listening to the floyd album right now and holy shit is this a trip! some of the abrupt left turns have me laughing out loud. its so weird. i love it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:23:11 AM by JB »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
Just listened to their first two albums today for the first time and I already love these guys. I'm not sure how I've overlooked them because I've listened to almost every related band on their Spotify page, but either way I'm really happy I finally headed their stuff. Satan is real again had me cracking up.

I've seen that Floyd cover album pop up a lot lately, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. The vice interview where he rips on Syd Barret had me laughing.

edit: listening to the floyd album right now and holy shit is this a trip! some of the abrupt left turns have me laughing out loud. its so weird. i love it.

I need to make time for this. I am not a pInk Floyd fan AT ALL, but I bet I would enjoy this. I did just see that the Rebel played in Australia with a bunch of great bands, such as Terry.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
The
Expand Quote

[close]

I need to make time for this. I am not a pInk Floyd fan AT ALL, but I bet I would enjoy this. I did just see that the Rebel played in Australia with a bunch of great bands, such as Terry.
Expand Quote

[close]

It's wild. Comfortably numb is probably my least favorite Floyd track but their cover is so good. Totally unexpected but it works so well.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »
Just bought a shirt of Depop. Beyond thrilled.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
And..........

Got a copy of Secrets in Welsh of the Loki label.
www.thelokilabel.com

The interviews are wild. Love the journal Wallers kept.