Author Topic: instrument/gear thread  (Read 13767 times)

ungzilla

instrument/gear thread
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the only nerd who plays music around here. Post up your axes, bongo drums, electric gongs, bagpipes, etc. Or your amps/pedals/etc.

I play bass mostly, here are 2/3 of my current basses, the other is at the luthier right now having it's frets pulled, it's a Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5 string. I'm hyped to have a fretless again.

Warwick Thumb Bolt-on 5 string (2005 or something). This thing is dope, but for a long time I hated it until I learned how to deal with the really loud and woody top end. Gotta roll the treble off a lot on this one if you're playing finger style. It's probably best suited for pick playing and roundwounds though. The string spacing is really tight though, and that is my favorite thing about it.

Ibanez ATK 305 (something like a 94 or 95 I think). Cheapest bass I own and probably my favorite, maybe just because it has great setup and and action more than anything. Have Nylon flatwounds on it that sound very dark and are real easy on the fingers.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Re: instrument/gear thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:05:14 PM »
I've got a lot of miscellaneous gear ranging from keyboards to saxes to pedals, but I figure my guitars would be most convenient for now.

LEFT TO RIGHT

Danelectro Baritone: Got it for a pretty decent price when I briefly worked at Guitar Center. A lot of fun to play and can do a lot more than low heavy stuff that's normally associated with baritones. But since I keep it tuned to B standard, its heaviness is also really fun.

Takamine Acoustic/Electric: My main guitar I use since I'm mostly a solo performer. Takamine's are pretty decent for the price, but I've had a bunch of work done on it including a number of set ups, adjustments, work on the pick up and more. And I can honestly say I prefer it to some nicer acoustic/electrics that I've played that double in retail.

Fender Telecaster: It's from their Modern Player series which means it has Humbuckers in addition to a Tele and Strat pick up, which makes it sound like a total Frankenstein guitar but it's very versatile in tone. The Modern Players are pretty affordable too, so while it ain't an American Standard, it definitely gets the job done.

ungzilla

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
That baritone is sweet! I had a Fender Jaguar Baritone for a time, but got rid of. I regret it, for sure. Coming from bass, I like the long scale of those things, much more comfortable to play than a standard guitar for me.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
I hope to one day own a vintage Mosrite. For now, I play an Epiphone Les Paul, a strat ripoff and a Takamine acoustic. And I have a Fender Blues Jr. and an old Yamaha stereo amp that weighs a ton.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
i play drums, just picked this up last week, easily nicest drum i've owned:

yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »
That baritone is sweet! I had a Fender Jaguar Baritone for a time, but got rid of. I regret it, for sure. Coming from bass, I like the long scale of those things, much more comfortable to play than a standard guitar for me.

I reeeeally want a Fender baritone. Hell, I even played a Squire jag at a store and it felt wonderful.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
I'm multi-talentless when it comes to music. And lifting. And skating. And living.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I reeeeally want a Fender baritone. Hell, I even played a Squire jag at a store and it felt wonderful.

Fender Bass 6s are different than baritones, yes? I just started playing guitar about a year ago, but I'd love to have one of those one day. The sound really cool and look like they'd be lots of fun.

My gear isnt really worth posting. I went super cheap and just bought an epiphone LP special and a little practice amp. I'd love to get a decent amp, but it doesnt really make sense living in an apartment. What I have works for my space and ability right now, but I'll definitely be getting something nicer once I have the space to be loud.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
Ibanez bass and Danelectro are ruling!

picking up this Mesa/Boogie bass cab in a couple weeks

Powerhouse 1000, 4x10+1x15 speakers. People generally kinda dog on these online but some people dig em and I thought it sounded good, plus the price was way too good to pass up. I could easily sell/trade the PH1000 for a 610 or 412 if I ended up not liking it and probably come out on top. I still need a head, and am in the process of rebuilding a Mexican Fender Precision to complete the bass rig.

I also have an Orange AD30HTC + PPC 212, and a '91 Gibby LP studio that I just finished rebuilding that absolutely screams. Will post a pic later

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:05:44 PM by Deucifer »
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

ungzilla

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fender Bass 6s are different than baritones, yes? I just started playing guitar about a year ago, but I'd love to have one of those one day. The sound really cool and look like they'd be lots of fun.

My gear isnt really worth posting. I went super cheap and just bought an epiphone LP special and a little practice amp. I'd love to get a decent amp, but it doesnt really make sense living in an apartment. What I have works for my space and ability right now, but I'll definitely be getting something nicer once I have the space to be loud.

Fender Bass VIs are the things they made way back when, and are now ultra expensive vintage instruments, generally. But it's basically the same thing as the Fender Jaguar Baritone that they make in Japan now. I mean the basic layout/range/tuning of the instrument, not the tone, which I have no idea about.

Ibanez bass and Danelectro are ruling!

picking up this Mesa/Boogie bass cab in a couple weeks

Powerhouse 1000, 4x10+1x15 speakers. People generally kinda dog on these online but some people dig em and I thought it sounded good, plus the price was way too good to pass up. I could easily sell/trade the PH1000 for a 610 or 412 if I ended up not liking it and probably come out on top. I still need a head, and am in the process of rebuilding a Mexican Fender Precision to complete the bass rig.

I also have an Orange AD30HTC + PPC 212, and a '91 Gibby LP studio that I just finished rebuilding that absolutely screams. Will post a pic later

Dope! I used to have a bigger 6x10 cab but I was over owning such a huge piece of furniture. I like the sound of 15s though. Now I've got a super light 2x10 Markbass cab, and 1x15 Bagend cab. It all sounds pretty good being driven by a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 amp.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:53:19 PM by ungzilla »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »
I barely get to play these anymore because of kids and neighbors so it's usually just my no frills Yamaha acoustic.

I've bought and sold a few guitars in the past, the highlights being a Duesenberg which was awesome except mine had some tuning issues and Rickenbacker 610 (which was kinda small and didn't really do anything a Tele couldn't.

Currently I just have these 2. Both Japanese Fenders. I'm a huge fan of Japanese guitars because the build quality is usually way beyond Mexican and Korean models but the price is far less than US Models (used prices are still generally good but newer ones have crept upwards).

(Not my pics)

Japanese 62 Tele with US made pickups. Just a super solid guitar. The bridge is kind of shitty and hard to intonate. Ordered new from Japan 10 years ago. Apparently Fender USA got mad about these being sold here and it got harder to get them soon after. I don't know if that's still true.

Same guitar the Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist has. Mine is red, which I always thought looked dumb. The fake Floyd Rose is useless and I leave it unlocked although I do like the fine tuners. The stock electronics are junky and I replaced the pickups with some vintage reissues.
You can find similar 1980s Japanese Fenders and Squiers for $300-400 and they are incredibly well made guitars.

94' Twin aka "Evil Twin". Kind of a flawed early attempt at a Fender/Marshall hybrid and way too loud for a duffer like me to have but it's still fun. The Clean channel is just that - unlimited clean. Not amazing but suitably Fenderish with reverb. The Overdrive loses definition as the volume goes up sounds more mushy than crunchy. The other high gain Fender from this era, the Prosonic is way better.

The Evil Twin does have a "Vintage Gain" on the clean channel with its own volume so the amp effectively has 3 channels. VIntage Gain sounds like an overdriven Bassman and is by far my favorite thing on the amp. Great for 60's sounds. Even better with humbuckers, which I am sadly lacking at the moment. The Twin also has wattage switching to make it break up a bit easier and Bias test points which let you easily replace tubes yourself.

Fender eventually did this amp better with the Super Sonic Twin although I think those cost $$$.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
bedroom studio:

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »
^damn that is awesome. Where can I hear some of your stuff?

I don't have pics on my phone but at home I have a 70's silverface fender twin reverb, fender tele deluxe(i hate this thing but got it for cheap), danelectro heaven hawk, martin dx1000, and a fender p bass. I haven't jammed with anyone or played in a band in like 6 months and it feels weird. I definitely feel like something in my life is missing a bit.  ???

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
these are both kind of old at this point:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4XCke72IjwxJzAkh1VEIiR

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6Z7KSe86gvkrsOelnHviz0

trying to transition into "solo" work and having difficulty finishing anything on my own.  leaning toward soundtrack, electro, disco, dark techno type stuff these days

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
^damn that is awesome. Where can I hear some of your stuff?

I don't have pics on my phone but at home I have a 70's silverface fender twin reverb, fender tele deluxe(i hate this thing but got it for cheap), danelectro heaven hawk, martin dx1000, and a fender p bass. I haven't jammed with anyone or played in a band in like 6 months and it feels weird. I definitely feel like something in my life is missing a bit.  ???

Is the Tele Deluxe the one with binding or the one with the 2 wide range humbuckers? I had a 72' Custom with the one humbucker but I never thought it sounded wonderful. (Although mine was Japanese and their version of the WRH doesn't get much love)

Those Silverface Twins are great. I wish I had gotten one when they were cheaper.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »
it's the one with the two humbuckers. I bought it off a friend a few years ago for $300 bucks when I was playing in bands and needed a guitar badly. Now it just sits in my closet. I am honestly thinking i'm going to sell it in the next few weeks here and try to get like $250 for it as is. I never got a tone I liked with it - I always felt it sounded so thin and the two humbuckers threw me off.

and oh man yea i love the silverface. that thing can get so loud and has the ability to hook up to an external cab if needed. I paid $600 for it which is great, but had to drive about an hour and a half out too the boonies to pick it up.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »

trying to transition into "solo" work and having difficulty finishing anything on my own.  leaning toward soundtrack, electro, disco, dark techno type stuff these days

sorry double post cause I missed this

damn this stuff sounds awesome. getting heavy cure disintegration vibes mixed with more synth + cocteau twins. good shietttt
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:38:50 AM by habby »

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
guitar rig

I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
Expand Quote

trying to transition into "solo" work and having difficulty finishing anything on my own.  leaning toward soundtrack, electro, disco, dark techno type stuff these days
[close]

sorry double post cause I missed this

damn this stuff sounds awesome. getting heavy cure disintegration vibes mixed with more synth + cocteau twins. good shietttt

thanks man

Mongoloid

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »
Rad modular setup August!

I'll see if I can get some pics up at some point. I recently just purchased a Rickenbacker 620 (Midnight Blue), a Vox AC15C1 amp, a Squier Venus (Black), A Proco Rat Distortion pedal, and a Janglebox Compressor/Sustainer pedal.

I also have a Novation Bass Station II, an (K)Arp Odyssey, a Yamaha Reface CP, I also have the Waldorf Streichfett as well! As well as various clone pedals.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
Had a 1969 oyster blue Ludwig kit I had to sell recently. My mom picked it up for me when I was 9-10 years old for 75$ off a retired music teacher. Mint condish, brahs. Drummers drop their drawers over those things hitting the market in decent condition. Waited til last minute to part with it & sold it for 500$ on craigslist twenty minutes after I made the post.

That 500$ went into a 600$ car repair bill. Life really chomps your nads hard sometimes. I think one of the toughest parts of growing up is having to sell out..

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
Had a 1969 oyster blue Ludwig kit I had to sell recently. My mom picked it up for me when I was 9-10 years old for 75$ off a retired music teacher. Mint condish, brahs. Drummers drop their drawers over those things hitting the market in decent condition. Waited til last minute to part with it & sold it for 500$ on craigslist twenty minutes after I made the post.

That 500$ went into a 600$ car repair bill. Life really chomps your nads hard sometimes. I think one of the toughest parts of growing up is having to sell out..

omg $75 for that Ludwig is awesome.  I bought a 70's Ludwig with a ton of sizes for $750 several years back (12,13, 14, 15, 16, 18,20,26).  i sold all of the small sizes and kept the 15, 18 and 20 floor toms and 26 inch bass drum and made all of my money back.  I haven't played drums in a minute, but i'm thinking about pulling it out of storage to re-wrap the shells.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »
Quick question -
Been saving up for a proper keyboard amp , but I got no idea what to get . I'm noob @ electronic equipment , currently running a yamaha cp33 through an old bass amp that sounds like mud (got it for peanuts off craigslist) . Gonna get a new keyboard specifically to gig on so I need it to get loud enough to play smaller trio/quartet gigs+big band rehearsals .

If anyone knows an ideal keyboard amp or has any suggestions , the help would be greatly appreciated !

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
I have a Roland one that an ex-bandmate left at my house, and it always sounded really good.  I'd try one of those out if you get a chance.  Also if you're running your keyboard through a mixer first, get a decent one like an Allen and Heath or Soundcraft, it makes a big difference. 

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »

currently running these guys. Play bass in a band. guitar is just a hobby of mine.
Also i really love offset bodies.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:39:53 PM by krookedjuice »

Mongoloid

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »

currently running these guys. Play bass in a band. guitar is just a hobby of mine.
Also i really love offset bodies.

Right on! Do you ever frequent offsetguitars forums? That place is a great resource/community! Lots of fellows with great taste in music.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

omg $75 for that Ludwig is awesome.  I bought a 70's Ludwig with a ton of sizes for $750 several years back (12,13, 14, 15, 16, 18,20,26).  i sold all of the small sizes and kept the 15, 18 and 20 floor toms and 26 inch bass drum and made all of my money back.  I haven't played drums in a minute, but i'm thinking about pulling it out of storage to re-wrap the shells.

You should man. Music is (damn near) everything. How do the shells look now?

ungzilla

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:07 AM »
got my fender jazz back. had the frets pulled. stoked to have a fretless bass again.

and here are the pedals i play through. if anyone is after good ass bass distortion i can't recommend the solidgoldfx beta pedal enough. pretty much the only bass distortion pedal that i've truly liked the sound of.

although I also just did the "Ruetz" mod to the ProCo Rat and it sounds a lot better than it did previously. A super easy mod for anyone who plays a bass through one of those, you just open that thing up and clip the 47ohm resistor thing, and it stops filtering out as much of the bass frequencies.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:58:06 AM by ungzilla »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 01:48:21 AM »
Ampeg 810 - Ampeg svt classis - musicman stingray 3eq (2)

ungzilla

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »
damn man, that's the classic set up right there. I used to have the 8x10, I don't have it anymore and don't regret it all since it weighs like 14 metric tons, but I have always wanted that SVT sound.