Author Topic: Best climate/affordable/skateable place in the states  (Read 3156 times)

Diocletian

Best climate/affordable/skateable place in the states
« on: March 09, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »
Good day fellow pals. Title kinda says it all. Looking to make a change and move somewhere here in the states where winter doesn’t exist as much as possible, without being too expensive. Also, with a decent job market so I can work anything that isn’t too shabby till I figure things out from there. Anyone within the states relocate for similar reasons? I’ve been to quite a few states, Arizona seemed like a rad place to actually live, not just visit, so did Florida but people keep telling me don’t move there. All feedback is much appreciated.

Htownlegend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
Re: Best climate/affordable/skateable place in the states
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »
Texas

Diocletian

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
Whereabouts in Texas?

Htownlegend

• Rep: -63
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
Probably Austin I'd say

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »
Sacramento is pretty great.

Doesn't rain too much and there are a lot of good spots. Midtown/Downtown area is pricier but it's still not too bad. Lots of work in the area and it has the most supportive services/non profits because it's the capital.
Music scene is kind of a secret but once you're in, you're in and it's really enjoyable.
Pretty sure Mullen or Gonz even mentioned Sacramento skaters as being some of the most inspiring.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:17:40 PM »
los angeles
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »
If i was American it'd be Quam or Hawaii or nothin.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
Puerto Rico

calvinsdream

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Houston's decent. Our rent hasn't been completely fucked up yet either. You can still find a decent apt downtown/montrose for 12-1400. Cheaper if you go to the eastside or the burbs.

nesta.

• Rep: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
Check out Chattanooga, TN. I don't know about the skate scene but it's got great weather, easy access to great hiking/camping/climbing, and it's really on the rise so the job scene is booming.
Disclaimer: I've never been, but have heard great things and would like to visit soon.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
Southeastern cities.  No snow and many of them have not (yet) been ruined by high rents/tech bros/etc.  Do not go anywhere hyped (Austin/Portland/Boulder) it's too late. 

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »
los angeles
You missed the part where he said "affordable".
I have to second Texas. Never been but friends of mine have moved there and love it

Diocletian

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »
Hey pals, just wanted to say I really appreciate the feedback. Tennessee is a new one, I’ve never had that on my radar but now I’m gonna look into it. Parts of Texas and the southeast states that aren’t blown out sounds good, too. Hope wherever I land there’s a good local to support. Cheers!

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

• Rep: 6
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 07:43:26 AM »
Texas is pretty good: Cheap, mellow weather, I've actually lived in most of the cities and here's my opinions:

Houston:
Cheap-ish
Great community
Select Skateshop<3
Good "social scene" as in, girls and skater-friendly bar scene
Massive and sprawling... I hate driving

Austin:
House Park is the best thing ever, not to mention its downtown and right next to No-Comply
Lots of girls
Not as many spots, just bc it's a smaller city
Expensive (getting worse every day)
Kinda blown-out and can catch "cool guy" vibes, but most ppl are pretty nice

Dallas:
Cheap (currently living here and paying $750 all bills paid for my own crib in a good neighborhood)
Tons of spots
Huge skate scene with some of the best skaters in the state and everyone's nice
Has more of a "city feel" as in more urban, public transit and walkable bar neighborhoods
Shortage of cops  8)
Honestly my favorite city; however, it's very much a "white collar city" and is built purely for yuppies. It kinda sucks socially as a skater
Also, we don't have a shop. Ft Worth has Magnolia, which is the truth, but that's a 30-min drive

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
Check out Chattanooga, TN. I don't know about the skate scene but it's got great weather, easy access to great hiking/camping/climbing, and it's really on the rise so the job scene is booming.
Disclaimer: I've never been, but have heard great things and would like to visit soon.
having lived there most of my life from 0 to 16 Chattanooga is a redneck shithole that tries to cover up it's fucked up racist past with christianity homophobia foreign money and investors. I will concede it is a beautiful area and on the come up, however it is one of those places I wouldn't wish anyone to move there.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 10:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
having lived there most of my life from 0 to 16 Chattanooga is a redneck shithole that tries to cover up it's fucked up racist past with christianity homophobia foreign money and investors. I will concede it is a beautiful area and on the come up, however it is one of those places I wouldn't wish anyone to move there.
Yeah but the aquarium is such a dope spot.
Anyways I don't really disagree, might as well move to ATL and have 10x the amount of spots minus the christian homophobia stuff.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah but the aquarium is such a dope spot.
Anyways I don't really disagree, might as well move to ATL and have 10x the amount of spots minus the christian homophobia stuff.
that's awesome you mentioned the aquarium volcano spot me and few others were the ones to ollie that shit, back in the late 90's and early 2000's I was out there killing the Amsouth there use to be a big steep bank across the street one could carve the wall. Miller park I had that plaza on lock, that weird triangle shit next to the federal building, I got a line in a homie video with some older dudes, kf up that 2 stair fs board the bench ollie up that triangle to dropping in on the steep side, the plaza next where they have nightfall killed that shit too. Come to think of it I have skated almost every known spot ditch and DIY spot there. Chris or Nicky Scoggins whoever he likes to call himself was a decent friend I haven't seen him in forever but glad he has Comfort shop going for himself, I believe I made a thread awhile ago about some skaters in rural towns that deserve a shot vs. these dipshits these days. Chris and a few other locals in Chatt have definitely been slept on. It is a damn shame too.

Eckart Trolle

• Rep: -12
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »

Well now I'm definitely moving here.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

enjoy the turd they call Chattanoogle

Eckart Trolle

• Rep: -12
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
enjoy the turd they call Chattanoogle

Predominantly white areas are what I'm all about. Good gun laws there, too. Thanks for your help!

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 07:27:06 AM »
Texas is pretty good: Cheap, mellow weather, I've actually lived in most of the cities and here's my opinions:

Houston:
Cheap-ish
Great community
Select Skateshop<3

Austin:
House Park is the best thing ever, not to mention its downtown and right next to No-Comply
Lots of girls

Dallas:
Cheap (currently living here and paying $750 all bills paid for my own crib in a good neighborhood)
Tons of spots
Has more of a "city feel" as in more urban, public transit and walkable bar neighborhoods
Shortage of cops  8)
Honestly my favorite city; however, it's very much a "white collar city" and is built purely for yuppies. It kinda sucks socially as a skater
Also, we don't have a shop. Ft Worth has Magnolia, which is the truth, but that's a 30-min drive

what happened to index?

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

• Rep: 6
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 08:43:10 AM »
Expand Quote

Houston:
Cheap-ish
Great community
Select Skateshop<3

Austin:
Lots of girls

Dallas:
Tons of spots
Shortage of cops  8)
[close]

what happened to index?

Went out of business. Kind of re-emerged in Ft Worth as "Queue" (hope it has nothing to do with Q'Anon).

switchnolliecuffedjeans

• Rep: -23
  • Dude, what size board Is that
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Florida

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 06:34:33 PM »
I guess it depends on what you mean by "best climate." I'd recommend anywhere in the PNW that isn't the urban center of Seattle or Portland. Rent isn't too bad, and you'll probably get paid more (assuming you need to work). It doesn't really rain THAT much, and I'd take a couple rainy days over an entire season of 95 degree heat any day.

Black Frycook

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 08:50:26 PM »
Miami or Tampa

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 05:12:56 AM »
i would say NM
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

Grubbs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »

Houston:
Cheap-ish
Great community
Select Skateshop<3

Austin:
Lots of girls

Dallas:
Tons of spots
Shortage of cops  8)

Finally made an account to say that Dallas has The Point in Deep Ellum

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »
Expand Quote
los angeles
[close]
I have to second Texas. Never been but friends of mine have moved there and love it

do you live in los angeles?

I do. And i find it affordable.

i've lived in portland, dc, richmond and nyc. i don't find LA anymore expensive than any of those cities except Richmond.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

calvinsdream

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 11:48:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
los angeles
[close]
[close]

do you live in los angeles?

I do. And i find it affordable.

i've lived in portland, dc, richmond and nyc. i don't find LA anymore expensive than any of those cities except Richmond.

LA being as expensive or less than NYC or Portland doesn't mean "affordable" there guy