Author Topic: Anyone ever traveled through Central Asia/Middle East?  (Read 7244 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Anyone ever traveled through Central Asia/Middle East?
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:15:48 AM »
The lady and I are planning a year long/work remotely trip. We're hoping to do as much of it by land starting in Europe going all the way over to Southeast Asia then back. For part of it we want to do the Middle East / Central Asia AKA "the Stans" so I'm wondering if any of you guys have been there? Tips on places to go, avoid, visas, etc...? We're not too worried if we can't get wifi somewhere but it'd be nice to know. Thanks dudes!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Anyone ever traveled through Central Asia/Middle East?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:35 PM »
've been to the Middle East a few times and have always had a great time. It's a really interesting part of the world and contrary to the constant negative press, the locals are typically very friendly and welcoming.

I love the mix of ancient culture and present day. There's amazing historical sites and the food is some of the best I've ever eaten.

Maybe specify what countries in the Middle East you're considering going to and I'll provide info as needed. I've previously been to Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon and Syria (pre civil war).

Obviously avoid the areas where there is actual war happening i.e Iraq, Syria, Yemen etc (unless you have contacts and a considerable amount of experience in being in conflict zones).

I've found it to be mostly safe and haven't had any major issues whilst there. However like anywhere, it is well worth staying informed of local news/issues as things can change quickly.

I'm looking at doing a similar trip later this year and am keen to check out Iran and Central Asia. I am considering doing a camping trip through Central Asia with a company called Oasis Overland. I've never been on a tour before but given the assumed logistical difficulties of Central Asia, it looks like a decent option.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »
My trip's a little ways away but I can go ahead and fill you in on the routes. I haven't decided which route we'll start with but since it will be winter I'm thinking the main connecting Silk Road route with perhaps a little variation. We'll go from Vienna to Turkey - perhaps pop into Tehran but relations aren't looking too good for travel there me being American. Fortunately, I've already had the chance to visit there before. Being this We'll probably go up to Azerbaijan, ferry across the Caspian sea, then venture around the Stans - Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and head back down into India. Would like to go through Afganistan and Pakistan if possible. Circle around India then trek up and over to get into Thailand or just fly over and go up. From there we'll roam around and trek up and east to make our way back to Berlin.

Let me know what you think - also curious how you'd feel about bringing a board with you on a trip like this? You may have seen my post about the best travel bag for a skateboard. Basically debating between those options or just keeping a pair of trucks/wheels/hardware and buying a deck when I'm somewhere I can actually skate. Posted the routes below.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
Turkmenistan is apparently really tricky to get into as a tourist and if you do you're accompanied 24/7 with a "guide" and you can only do what the guide allows and I can bet that doesn't include skating. Ashgabat especially has tons of plazas with perfect marble ledges and they seem to be pretty much empty all the time. I was there for work some years ago but I didn't skate then so I can't say how the place is for skating but I do think they wouldn't be cool with it as they're so totalitarian (kinda).

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
Yeah, I figure I may come across issues such as this - still on the research end of things for some of these countries. If it's a huge bitch to get a Visa and/or super expensive I may skip said countries. I'm also not too keen on the guide thing because it's usually expensive. If I have to get a guide I'd usually opt for some sort of trekking group. Also wouldn't allow me to keep traveling in an onwards direction.

How did you enjoy traveling in those countries though? Would you go back?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
I liked Turkmenistan, but I like pretty much any place that is "real". Only places that I've been that I've disliked are tourist traps. Turkmenistan was so much nicer for us than tourists as we were working there, so we were much more free to move around the city and even go other places without too much hassle. People there in general were really friendly.

I've been considering going back at some point, but it's not high up in my things to do. I did spend around three months there, mostly in Ashgabat so I got to see what the city has to offer quite well. It's a weird ass place for sure. Everything recent is built out of white marble and they have so much fancy buildings all over the place that are apparently mostly just empty, just built to show. It's no wonder it has gotten the nickname Absurdistan.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:43:54 AM »
My trip's a little ways away but I can go ahead and fill you in on the routes. I haven't decided which route we'll start with but since it will be winter I'm thinking the main connecting Silk Road route with perhaps a little variation. We'll go from Vienna to Turkey - perhaps pop into Tehran but relations aren't looking too good for travel there me being American. Fortunately, I've already had the chance to visit there before. Being this We'll probably go up to Azerbaijan, ferry across the Caspian sea, then venture around the Stans - Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and head back down into India. Would like to go through Afganistan and Pakistan if possible. Circle around India then trek up and over to get into Thailand or just fly over and go up. From there we'll roam around and trek up and east to make our way back to Berlin.

Let me know what you think - also curious how you'd feel about bringing a board with you on a trip like this? You may have seen my post about the best travel bag for a skateboard. Basically debating between those options or just keeping a pair of trucks/wheels/hardware and buying a deck when I'm somewhere I can actually skate. Posted the routes below.

Unfortunately I haven't been to many places on your route so can't provide that much insight or recommendation. Egirdir in Turkey is a great place that I really enjoyed.

There's a great doco series that was made by a Japanese TV channel in the 1980's called The Silk Road. It's on YouTube but in fairly low quality resolution. If you can make it through it, it is an invaluable resource.

As for taking a board, it's hard to say. Most places you go won't be great for skating but it's a great way to do some physical exercise and meet locals.  Maybe check some Patrik Wallner films to get some inspiration.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
Bump. Did you end up going to the Middle East and Central Asia sexualhelon?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:18:15 PM »
Ah, only Almaty, Kazakhstan for central Asia unfortunately but it was rad. I've been to parts of the Middle East before but I'm currently in Palestine volunteering with SkatePal which is new territory for me. I was in Israel a bit before here which was a first for me as well.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »
Ah, only Almaty, Kazakhstan for central Asia unfortunately but it was rad. I've been to parts of the Middle East before but I'm currently in Palestine volunteering with SkatePal which is new territory for me. I was in Israel a bit before here which was a first for me as well.

Good stuff. In 2017 I travelled from Singapore up go Mandalay and then from Xian in China across China through Central Asia to Iran. I only spent a few days in Almaty but it seemed like a really cool city. Crazy contrasts with western designer brands based in old Soviet era buildings.

I saw your other thread on trying to get boards in Gaza. Are you there now or in the West Bank? Looks like things are a bit heated at present. Hope you're keeping safe.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 12:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good stuff. In 2017 I travelled from Singapore up go Mandalay and then from Xian in China across China through Central Asia to Iran. I only spent a few days in Almaty but it seemed like a really cool city. Crazy contrasts with western designer brands based in old Soviet era buildings.

I saw your other thread on trying to get boards in Gaza. Are you there now or in the West Bank? Looks like things are a bit heated at present. Hope you're keeping safe.

Sounds like a sick trip. Ha, I love the contrasts there and the architecture is really interesting to me. I've been in the West Bank for 2 months now and it feels the same here. I'm further north than Tel Aviv atm. I'm volunteering with SkatePal and the crew is rad. The people here are more stoked on skateboarding than probably anywhere I've ever been. Every time we start a session on something a crowd gathers, everyone wants to ride our boards, and we've yet to be kicked out of anywhere.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »
I've taken a skate trip to Azerbaijan.

There are some really cool things to see there and the locals are awesome, but it can be uncomfortable traveling through the typical corrupt crony capitalism nation.

I'm glad I went once, but I don't think I'd go back.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »
didn't see it mentioned yet, patrick wallner's visual travelling chronicles stand as excellent examples of the potential for skateboarding in the region, for anyone interested.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 02:22:12 AM »
didn't see it mentioned yet, patrick wallner's visual travelling chronicles stand as excellent examples of the potential for skateboarding in the region, for anyone interested.

Yeah I cant recommend these enough. Although I didn't take my board, Patrik's videos were a definite inspiration for travelling to Central Asia. Almaty in Kazakhstan especially had spots all over.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps