Author Topic: Anyone With Crohn's Disease ?  (Read 3100 times)

Monty Burns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
Anyone With Crohn's Disease ?
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
I was wondering if anybody had crohn's disease here on SLAP. My mom has it and kind of by accident we discoverd a soup that seems to work miracles on the disease. It was a cold winter in 2015 and I was making alot of pure soups and by chance making a carrot soup I was told her stomach was amazing the next day

Now of course this is not a cure. This is just something that calms and settles the stomach down. But some people have said it helps alot so I thought Id share and see if it helps anyone on SLAP

Needed

1KG Carrots
Herbs (Thyme, Rosemar, Chervil
0.5 L  Creame or Milk or Lactose free Cream or Milk
Chicken or Beef Stock cubes or Chicken or Beef Stock

Peel the Carrots and portion them in even sizes
Fry off the chopped herbs in a cooking pot  in oil for abit ( you dont want them to catch color)
Add the carrots in the pot and then add water just enough to cover it. Bring it to a boil and then lower the temp. Add some water if the water level is very low

Carrots are ready when you can cut through them without much effort

Now take half the carrots (0.5KG) and add them to a blender. Add some cream or milk and then start adding the water you cooked
the carrots in. You dont want to throw that water away since it contains lots of taste,minerals and vitamins.

Start blending and make sure its a fluid blending ( theres a whirl pool in the centre and the pure is kind of folding itself down into it with ease)

Add some salt , the herbs from the water and add some stock cubes. Careful with the salt since many stock cubes
are quite salty ( Like people on this forum )

Now you want to blend it at the highest speed and while the carrots and water are the hottest. Just keep blending it until its super smooth

If the concistency is too fluid or too firm. Just make sure the next 0.5 carrots you blend is the opposite

You can change parts of the recipe ofc . Different herbs , different stock cubes , add butter , or take away dairy completely

So if anybody has crohn's disease, try it out and let me know if it helped any !

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
Re: Anyone With Crohn's Disease ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »
very cool.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
Interesting...

Has your mom had surgery?
Gentleman ninja warlock

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »
If she hasn't tried raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar she should, I know it helps with most gastric issues. All she needs is a capful or a cap full in a glass of water. If you're into alternatives herbdoc.com has a lot of herbal detoxs and tintures that really help.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
How was her diet previously Moe? People do see some good results typically switching to better foods, such as your soup.

When I practised, I used alot of anti inflammatory supplements like turmeric, ginger, curcumin etc.

Also healthy fats and inflammation control from fish oils(Omega 3 fatty acids)

Also, supplementing with fat soluble vitamins since Crohn's usually causes alot of malnourishment and thus further issue.

Soup sounds good man! I dont have Crohn's, but the Norwegian in me loves a good homemade soup
Gentleman ninja warlock

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
Diabolik
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
My sister has it. She spent a LONG time figuring out what food worked for her and what didn't. In simplest terms, she's on healthy stuff, nothing raw, and absolutely no gluten. I know it's different for most everyone, but keeping to a strict diet is kind of the only way she can stay relatively level. I'll pass the recipe along, thanks! Seems like something she'd be into. Good looking out.

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, uh oh
your crohn's got a little disease
you're the crohn disease

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:32:01 AM »
I've had it since 2001 - and after surgery to remove a good chuck of my intestines have been managing it through a diet of healthy eating.

Or at least that what I should be doing, as I feel 100% better when I can be arsed to cook properly and eat healthily. 

It's a fucker though when you can't be arsed, and the fact you can't be arsed makes you feel worse etc.

I'll give that recipe a go - I like stuff I can make a ton of and eat for a few meals :-)

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
Diabolik

i had a colectomy 4 or 5 years ago and got fat.  i've been doing pretty good since the surgery, but the whole process spooked me a bit and haven't been able to fully get back into skating since.  only real side effect I have now is pretty bad acid reflux, but nowhere near the misery i was going though when i was sick.

thanks to the OP for posting that recipe
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
my sister unfortunately has it, but the recipe is much appreciated! its always been hard watching her deal with this. i rarely see her, but when i do, ill hook it up! thanks again man!

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
my younger brother has ulcerative colitis (a similar problem), he had the same surgery that people above have mentioned and should be much healthier now. the problem for him is that his illness was poorly diagnosed and so he lost a good chunk of his teenage years and his twenties to it.

he has spent the last few years making up for that (read: partying), but he has been trying to get on a better path recently and taking better care of himself and his diet.

I'm gonna link him to this thread and I'm sure it will mean a lot to him to know that other people, and other skateboarders even, are going through the same things.

have a gnar Monte, and my thanks!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:43:51 PM by MaryhillVibe »

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Diabolik
[close]

i had a colectomy 4 or 5 years ago and got fat.  i've been doing pretty good since the surgery, but the whole process spooked me a bit and haven't been able to fully get back into skating since.  only real side effect I have now is pretty bad acid reflux, but nowhere near the misery i was going though when i was sick.

thanks to the OP for posting that recipe

Oh I didn't realize you were Diabolik.

That's great to hear you're doing better, I used to feel so bad about some of the stuff you were going through. Sounded super rough.

Gorgeous

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
Was diagnosed with this bitch illness nearly 20 years ago after having emergency surgery for what I thought was appendicitis. It pretty much went into remission for 15 years after that, but then a few years ago I got super sick again after a prolonged really stressful period of my life.  Have been managing skating and a relatively normal life and on prednisone ever since but i'm pretty desperate to get off it. Tried every other drug and nothing works at all except corticosteroids unfortunately.

It really does seem that there are several major players in this illness, a major one being diet along with genetics, chronic stress, antibiotic use and other environmental factors.  It's all about damage to the gut microbiome and I think if you ever want to get better you have to start looking after it through diet.  Cut the sugar and processed foods completely and minimise carbs, especially refined ones. Eat plenty of green vegetables, fibre and lean protein. although this is the major catch 22 with crohns....It's really hard to eat vegetables because they are hard to digest and cause gas so the temptation is to eat all the things you shouldn't is huge. One the the best things I ever did was investing in a pressure cooker and would recommend it to everyone. Also I've heard really good things about fermented vegetables being the best way to populate your gut with healthy bacteria, so I really want to get into that.

I know someone who had this diet work for them, but it takes alot of willpower:

https://ibdnewstoday.com/2017/01/03/special-diet-sends-children-with-crohns-and-ulcerative-colitis-into-remission-in-study/

So great to see a thread about this and to know that there are other skaters going through the same thing. These days it seems that every second person knows someone who knows someone who has it.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
So did anybody try out the carrot soup ? and how did it go ? did it help any ?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:40 AM »
my exgirlfriend has it but she
was rather secretive about it.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936