Author Topic: Kalis Interview: Philly beef, $117,000 tax bill from City of Philadelphia...  (Read 7726 times)

beforecapture

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Fucking just taking a shit going down the fucking ledge.

GinosGroceries

Nice!
OG Lynx and Kalis 1 rerelease are a must

StinkyLarry

• Rep: -42
Good read, always love hearing Kalis stories. That part about seeing Flo nollie crook le dome hubba and being so hyped to just fly him out to stay with Kalis is so sick.

Hannity

That's the first I've heard of Pluhowski being a dick

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
SS bs flip Walker Ryan is the most underrated trick ever....

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
That's the first I've heard of Pluhowski being a dick

The cool guy nature of EMB carried over into a lot of scenes back then.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:34:46 PM by Robert Baratheon »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Was the tax bill unpaid property tax or accrued interest and penalties on tickets?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Was the tax bill unpaid property tax or accrued interest and penalties on tickets?

It was more than likely property tax, that can get pretty high here, city government is pretty money hungry, and I've never been hunted down for not paying a skate ticket.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
Expand Quote
[close]

It was more than likely property tax, that can get pretty high here, city government is pretty money hungry, and I've never been hunted down for not paying a skate ticket.

City wage tax.
They claimed i never filed... principle amount owed 40k. Penalty and interest over 8 years or so.. 117k.

Once they found out i didn't have copies... (my cpa at the time passed away without my knowledge).. they went in on me.
First they tried to get me for Capital Gains on a house i sold. But i still had paperwork on that sale... then some other shit.. then the wage tax.

They threw out every document my attorney presented.. then when the judge was accepting the payment of 40k (because there was nothing malicious or no proof of trying not to pay) This bitch Brandi Brice made a big deal in court about making me an example or whatever.. and judge changed his mind.
Fucked me up for quite a while.

"Mr Kalis we know who you are.."   I'll never forget that shit. It was Brandi Brice and Mayor John Street personal vendetta towards me.
My attorney was no joke... and even he was like.. "in all my years of representing such and such... i have never seen anything like this".

it was a bad deal.

shit_for_brains

You have to get one of those CPAs who tells you before they die.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

City wage tax.
They claimed i never filed... principle amount owed 40k. Penalty and interest over 8 years or so.. 117k.

Once they found out i didn't have copies... (my cpa at the time passed away without my knowledge).. they went in on me.
First they tried to get me for Capital Gains on a house i sold. But i still had paperwork on that sale... then some other shit.. then the wage tax.

They threw out every document my attorney presented.. then when the judge was accepting the payment of 40k (because there was nothing malicious or no proof of trying not to pay) This bitch Brandi Brice made a big deal in court about making me an example or whatever.. and judge changed his mind.

"Mr Kalis we know who you are.."   I'll never forget that shit. It was Brandi Brice and Mayor John Street personal vendetta towards me.
My attorney was no joke... and even he was like.. "in all my years of representing such and such... i have never seen anything like this".

it was a bad deal.
when your cpa passed, what happened to all his files?

thomas kook

fuckin' hate it when people die without telling me first

shit_for_brains

I used to get my hair cut by this 1500 year old man who got a phone call mid-cut one day, then came back with tears in his eyes to tell me his brother had just died. Then he finished cutting my hair. Thinking about it now I can understand why someone wouldn't tell you they were planning to die because it just makes the whole thing uncomfortable.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
my CPA wont return my calls or emails...fuck.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Interesting to hear his dislike for Habitat expanded on (mostly on Getz and Pluhowski). Interesting Kalis didn't group in Wenning or Tim O'Connor with those guys.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Interesting to hear his dislike for Habitat expanded on (mostly on Getz and Pluhowski). Interesting Kalis didn't group in Wenning or Tim O'Connor with those guys.

Having been there, I can see why...they mostly kept within their own circle and didn't really talk to any of the locals. Wenning was always cool. All water under the bridge.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

City wage tax.

"Mr Kalis we know who you are.."   I'll never forget that shit. It was Brandi Brice and Mayor John Street personal vendetta towards me.

it was a bad deal.

The city wage tax is still the worst. Philly's city government is a perfect example of why big government sucks.

Addendum: How did they get you on city wage tax when you didn't actually work for a company in the city? DC would've been So. Cal. and Alien Ohio. I always thought they took wage tax out only if you worked for a company in the city. I could be wrong, and I guess city hall will do what they want. I worked in the city for 8 years and had a ton of wage tax taken from my checks, but that stopped as soon as I started at a new company outside of the city.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:51:26 AM by PatrickSkateman »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
Reminds me of 'The foundation' down south before we got our "proper park" it was all kinds of hedonism back there partially. .but dudes went & skated it and they built an entire active living city walk off of it. You really didn't go there for the most part unless your friends were your family. And who started it - skaters
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Kalis: can I skate LOVE ?
Philly: yes for 10 million
Kalis: here's 10 million
Philly: jk

What a bunch of scumbags. If you got it in writing you may have had a legal case.

DGKALIS

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

City wage tax.

"Mr Kalis we know who you are.."   I'll never forget that shit. It was Brandi Brice and Mayor John Street personal vendetta towards me.

it was a bad deal.
[close]

The city wage tax is still the worst. Philly's city government is a perfect example of why big government sucks.

Addendum: How did they get you on city wage tax when you didn't actually work for a company in the city? DC would've been So. Cal. and Alien Ohio. I always thought they took wage tax out only if you worked for a company in the city. I could be wrong, and I guess city hall will do what they want. I worked in the city for 8 years and had a ton of wage tax taken from my checks, but that stopped as soon as I started at a new company outside of the city.

I was a resident of MI at the time but  property owner in the city.... it was a fucked up situation. I was straight.. but 8 years after i moved out of the city they came after me. There is a 3 year statute of limitations if you file... they claimed i never filed AFTER they found out i didn't have my copies and my CPA was MIA.
Even though my State, and Fed taxes were perfect.. the city wage is the only tax you cant look up. All other you can get copies of. Its total bullshit.
Keep your paperwork forever. Lesson learned.

DGKALIS

You have to get one of those CPAs who tells you before they die.

LOL... i used him for a few years in Philly. Funny guy. Even had Ricky Oyola using him.
I moved out of the city back to MI.... so we lost touch. The city can at me 8 years after i left.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

City wage tax.

it was a bad deal.
[close]

[close]

I was a resident of MI at the time but  property owner in the city.... it was a fucked up situation. I was straight.. but 8 years after i moved out of the city they came after me. There is a 3 year statute of limitations if you file... they claimed i never filed AFTER they found out i didn't have my copies and my CPA was MIA.
Even though my State, and Fed taxes were perfect.. the city wage is the only tax you cant look up. All other you can get copies of. Its total bullshit.

Good to know, just bought a house here.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

City wage tax.

it was a bad deal.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good to know, just bought a house here.

You owe Philly City Wage Tax if you live in the city, period. My wife works outside the city but still has to pay the full city wage tax because we live here. There is a separate rate (half I think) for out of towners who work in Philly.

Everyone hates the city wage tax but it's a holdover from Rizzo and all the 60's, 70's, and 80's administrations that didn't want to upset their voter bases with property tax increases. Easier to stick it to out of towners and people making more money. (At the same time the city was promising pensions that continue to pay workers who have been retired 30+ years and not funding them - this currently accounts for over 1/4 of the city budget, but I digress). Until recently, the property tax was absurdly low so even with the wage tax, if you were making under say 40k a year you'd still be paying less in total taxes than someone owning a house in a nearby (not fancy) suburb like Upper Darby. (Also, the city

Once you get into the higher wage brackets you can end up paying a shit ton of money to a city that can scarcely provide basic services and you start wondering why you don't move to somewhere that gets your kids in a decent public school.

Philadelphia Property taxes are all over the place now. Nearly everyone has seen a significant increase although some (like mine) are still very low in relation to home values. Also, every new property gets a 10 year tax abatement which means people with $5 million dollar condos pay almost nothing and this further incentivizes tearing down historic neighborhoods.

Back to DGKALIS's problem: it sounds like the city did not believe he was a not a city resident since they had personal dealings with him during the time period in question. Truth be told, it can be a thorny business if you appear to live one place and declare elsewhere home for tax reasons. There was just a story this week in the news about Steve Bannon doing this in FL (no property taxes) despite living in CA and DC.

You may be called upon to prove you spent a minimum amount of days in your declared state of residence and you might back that up with receipts for air travel, etc.

lk130

• SLAP Pal
Did u know there are literally billions of planets in our galaxy
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
Holy shit

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
Think they got spots?

lk130

• SLAP Pal
Probably spots on spots
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

lk130

• SLAP Pal
First view.  .Dc site is nice
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
Lived there from 00-08, and while Kalis/Stevie/Getz/Wenning/Pops/Gall/Durante were ill, Jack Sabback was the best dude I saw skate there. Everybody who was anybody skated Love during those days, but Jack stood out more than anyone IMO. Omar Alverio was one of those dudes that didn't get the "shine" but killed that shit.