Author Topic: BATB 10  (Read 146660 times)

Getty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: BATB 10
« Reply #840 on: June 18, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
What meds is Berra on? Something seriously wrong with that dude. 

The Berrics continues to be a kookfest but watching Luan skate flat is one of the great pleasures of life. 

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #841 on: June 18, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
No meds, Xenu doesn't approve

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #842 on: June 18, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
I got sad every time PJ got a letter. Ah, well.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #843 on: June 18, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
What meds is Berra on? Something seriously wrong with that dude. 
He seems like he's on a lot of antidepressants for real. Or a bunch of benzos. Dude just seems like a fucking zombie emotionless and all that jazz.

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #844 on: June 18, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
I got sad every time PJ got a letter. Ah, well.

also, life hack: cover the trick names with a folded up piece of paper or anything really

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #845 on: June 18, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
I bet PJ Ladd just wanted his bed and a glass of hot tea.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #846 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
Idk what it is about Joslin but he just grosses me out. I watch his feet and his board and it's like he's wearing boots.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #847 on: June 18, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »
Idk what it is about Joslin but he just grosses me out. I watch his feet and his board and it's like he's wearing boots.

I kind of like that soap dodger.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #848 on: June 18, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
I thought PJ had that one, for sure. Getting caught up on that rick flip caught him the game.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #849 on: June 18, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »
Fucking hate that signature switch double 360 flip. Such a corny trick.
OCD on that Rickflip really fucked PJ, he shoulda had it.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #850 on: June 18, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »

ArtVandelay

« Reply #851 on: June 18, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
Damn Pj casually throwing out switch back 3 and 360 heelflip! God I wanted him to win.

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #852 on: June 18, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
Luans tres almost flawless. He stands barely but it's bc his back foot is so far back he can't help. Most consist tre I see in skating along w his switch. Shane almost but not as consistent w em as lu
try to remember, forget

le88

• Rep: -7
« Reply #853 on: June 18, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »
pj threw that game clearly. he could have fucked up shane but decided to do a half ass heelflip body variel. Also Joslin's flat ground looked like shit compared to Luan

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #854 on: June 18, 2017, 01:34:10 PM »
Damn Pj casually throwing out switch back 3 and 360 heelflip! God I wanted him to win.

Front 360 heelflip is crazy. My brain doesn't understand how he can do it, and so easily
Gentleman ninja warlock

Grind King Rims

« Reply #855 on: June 18, 2017, 04:03:26 PM »
pj threw that game clearly. he could have fucked up shane but decided to do a half ass heelflip body variel. Also Joslin's flat ground looked like shit compared to Luan

For what it's worth, I reckon he was trying a backside 180 heelflip, not a body varial.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #856 on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For what it's worth, I reckon he was trying a backside 180 heelflip, not a body varial.

No he straight up tried a heel flip body varial.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #857 on: June 18, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
I thought he was going for that Chris Cole heelflip body varial 180 thing. I just thought that it's not based on anything.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #858 on: June 18, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »
Two messed up heelflip tricks if I'm correct. He tried a rick flip and a heel flip body varial that were both unsuccessful.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #859 on: June 18, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No he straight up tried a heel flip body varial.
I think it was strategy, he realized he wasn't gonna just out battle Shane on basics, he needed a circus type trick that Shane has never tried, probably a little bit of a mental breakdown just couldn't come up with good obscure trick fast enough. He threw the pressure flip out on Shane pretty early and it didn't work, and it doesn't look like you can out double flip him so you gotta try something.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #860 on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
I thought PJ had that one, for sure. Getting caught up on that rick flip caught him the game.

Not the first time. Not sure if he lost but I remember he was stuck on doing nollie front foot flip or something and missed a bunch in a row before in a battle. Joslin probably going to win since has all the not bullshit tricks down pack. Shane always goes to switch double tre just like Luan always did switch 360 flip revert in crunch time. People don't sit around and practice that shit.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:41:15 PM by stephop »

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #861 on: June 18, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
PJ should go back to filming street parts.

Fixed.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #862 on: June 18, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »
Pjs loss hurt, I really wanted him to win this one.  What bothers me the most is Shane's fake humility, it's like he is worried of jinxing himself if he admits he is the best out there:  I know imthay for the most part ego is not cool but at Shane's level it's a little absurd to act like you haven't been trying, and achieving for that matter, to be the best.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #863 on: June 18, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
Signature circus-tricks seem pretty essential in the later rounds and eventually people will catch up - just like they did with the nollie front foot flip and hardflip 180's. Shane's bag seems fucking limitless though.

TreBombMartin

• Rep: 30
« Reply #864 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
Rooting for PJ but not upset Shane won. I do hate when people roll behind you when you're setting a trick or are already trying a trick before you get a chance to pick your board up though.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #865 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:36 AM »
anybody else impressed, or puzzled by how insanely unrelatable skaters in general have been getting at flatground ever since the first BATB's ? i mean, that obviously happened, but i'm trying to think of how the influence worked - maybe BATB became such a popular format early on that foreseeing a market there, the berrics started to shed more light & exposure on this particular type of skaters and consequently, the industry followed through (remember josiah gatlyn ?). and then maybe that impacted the average kid's skating once they took notice, and they developed accordingly ? much in the vein of how rowley once said he didn't know skate videos were edited as grom, therefore would make it a point to get all his tricks on absolute lock due to assuming pro skaters never once missed their trick.

obviously not saying everyone doing good in BATB has a similar style. but there's definitely been a significant shift ever since the first editions where you had the likes of paul shier playing, and people were regularly (and realistically) missing tricks, whereas now a large part of the competitors are flatground machines who are programmed not to ever fuck up (and whenever they do feels like a glitch, like it's wrong & not supposed to happen). i'd like to say the phenomenon probably culminated with pros vs. joes, but really i wouldn't know as i didn't watch BATB that year.

for what it's worth, some dudes have been getting their BATB shine for already skating that way, whilst others (mostly the old-timers) look like they've been working on catching up with said dudes - usually successfully. funnily enough, although part of this latter generation of older dudes, PJ looks like he's been working on never missing tricks since day one anyway, before it was any popular to begin with - to me anyway, it looks like it's been part of his skating's ethic for the longest time.

now it's almost become a staple that if you're pro, it's not acceptable to miss (let alone, not being able to form) certain tricks. i remember liking it when, in early editions of BATB, i'd occasionally see a pro not even getting close to some trick ; when it was obvious they had certain weaknesses, yet nobody gave a shit, it was all just skating, the dude was honoring his status getting sick street footage on the side anyway and had nothing to prove to the masses. nowadays i barely even dare scrolling through the youtube comments on the games because i know it's going to be full of thrasher shirt-wearing groms talking shit on respectable skaters for bailing a flatground switch flip (albeit for the first time since 1998). i mean youtube comments have always been kooky, but as a skater i literally feel disconnected nowadays.

not too sure what i really want to address with this post, but i liked seeing pj almost miss the kickflip. heavy WHL part intro throwback vibes ; i could almost hear 'i just missed the kickflip', and i was watching the game without sound.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:02:15 AM by silhouette »

thomas kook

« Reply #866 on: June 19, 2017, 03:24:35 AM »
now it's almost become a staple that if you're pro, it's not acceptable to miss (let alone, not being able to form) certain tricks. i remember liking it when, in early editions of BATB, i'd occasionally see a pro not even getting close to some trick ; when it was obvious they had certain weaknesses, yet nobody gave a shit, it was all just skating, the dude was honoring his status getting sick street footage on the side anyway and had nothing to prove to the masses. nowadays i barely even dare scrolling through the youtube comments on the games because i know it's going to be full of thrasher shirt-wearing groms talking shit on respectable skaters for bailing a flatground switch flip (albeit for the first time since 1998). i mean youtube comments have always been kooky, but as a skater i literally feel disconnected nowadays.

this has been bothering me too but you put it in words nicely. seems like a totally understandable effect with the bombardment of skateboard videos everywhere though

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #867 on: June 19, 2017, 06:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this has been bothering me too but you put it in words nicely. seems like a totally understandable effect with the bombardment of skateboard videos everywhere though

you are right, it is nothing but a mere logical consequence of skateboarding having become so widespread that every other company (especially in the shoe department) is now competing for the general public's attention, rather than the skaters', because in the current state of things there isn't nearly as much money to be made from the 'insiders' as there is from the more casual non-skating audience of general consumers (which has to be like what, twenty times bigger at the very least ?). even among said insiders, everybody is good at skating nowadays so the amount of genuine skaters who actually have to go out of their way and actively purchase product has to be pretty low in comparison to how many dudes are being given free stuff, at least that's how i feel things have been ever since the corporate shoe brands entered the market only to then start flowing hundreds of dudes worldwide, prompting all the other brands to try & get on that program as well, and branch out with products conceived for the general public on the side (regardless of the imagery they try & go for : boutique-y shit for the wannabe-hip folks yearning for acceptance, weed socks for the 13-year-olds, turning half of your skateshop into a coffee shop... the logic is similar).

the abundance of videos only reflects that. i mean most skate videos have always been made for commercial purposes, but they used to be a vehicle for our code, they used to speak a language only skaters could relate to, be it through illustrating all the crazy shit we go through on the daily with the crazy people on the streets, battles, slams... (which, funnily enough, is the hottest shit right now... our lifestyle sells and will keep selling so long as streaming videos is more convenient than actively going through the shit yourself ; so long as being a spectator is easier & more comfortable than acting... which it always will be)... or through the appreciation of style, trick selection... and now that's the very aspect that's being vulgarized. hence the popularity of ridiculously fancy fits, instagram skaters and whatnot... that shit's not a vector primarily intended for skaters anymore... it's just meant to be streamed on phones by teenagers and which hopefully will catch their attention enough to make them want to consume by purchasing the new hot shoes that will never ever once touch griptape... or hoodies their moms will fuck up ironing as soon as after the first wash anyway...

skateboarding's sudden rise in general popularity & the consequent tendency of the market to open itself to the average consumer is why the fashion world has been taking notice too. have you guys ever seen that golden goose bullshit floating around ? supposedly high-end shoes that cost a fuckton and just look like thrashed, worn-out skate shoes complete with fake holes... i got some for my girlfriend a few years ago not realizing that's what they were, she had just sent me a link to what i assumed were (pricey) second-hand shoes, alright... when she eventually got them & i got to take a closer look i realized how try-hard those shitheads were just from that label underneath the tongue which literally says, 'for skateboard use only, not designed for any other activity', i mean how fucking disgusting is that, if you call yourself a brand, don't even come from skateboarding in the first place yet try to claim that shit just so you can capitalize on whoever you're trying to take for a ride you can fuck right off with that bullshit... like stop fucking pretending. and at least sell to skateshops and sponsor dudes, fund parks, do something constructive for skateboarding, i don't know. i should have bought her lakai's... well it's not too late...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:16:19 AM by silhouette »

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #868 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
A lot of "popular skateboard" media/products/trends aren't meant for people who skate, for sure.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #869 on: June 19, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
great game.  don't act like PJ isnt above some bullshit tricks though.  Heelflip body varial on pair with switch double 360 flip
where is home?