Author Topic: THPS Documentary  (Read 27096 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
THPS Documentary
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
I was in high school and had been skating for a few years when my buddy got the demo disc, but we played that thing to death.  Killed so much time on the the one with SF. I think it was 2? Pretty cool idea for a doc.

Pretending I'm a Superman: The Tony Hawk Video Game Story - Indiegogo Trailer on Vimeo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pretending-i-m-a-superman-the-tony-hawk-game-story/#/
you never know about pre-cum 

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: THPS Documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »
Could be cool, as someone who started skating after vivaciously playing through THPS2 and THPS3 I'm definitely interested in this. I have a real issue when documentaries don't have any falling action, though, and I'm curious as to how the game's eventual downfall will be broached.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
I want to know if they will talk about the THPS online clans and nerd communities.

I was always really good at THPS, but dorked the fuck out on it when I started playing it online. There were so many clans, and different "ways" to play the game, like it was skateboarding. Styling, improving, whoring (getting the most points), doing "transfers" (imagine tech tricks), and glitchers/hackers. I even won a contest before with some prizes from Activision.

God, I'm kind of embarrassed now. haha
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »
I want to know if they will talk about the THPS online clans and nerd communities.

I was always really good at THPS, but dorked the fuck out on it when I started playing it online. There were so many clans, and different "ways" to play the game, like it was skateboarding. Styling, improving, whoring (getting the most points), doing "transfers" (imagine tech tricks), and glitchers/hackers. I even won a contest before with some prizes from Activision.

i love you

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i love you

two of my friends got really big into the first underground game online and playing the game with them wasnt even fun. one of my friends could just go forever in the moscow level.

ill definitely watch it. the first THPS was a huge influence for me and why i started skating. i played them all up until the one called american wasteland i think, and besides GTA vice city, the only games i had on ps2 were the tony hawk games. theyre still fun to dig out and play now.

Plop

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
wouldnt be skating if it wasnt for this game. (thps4) seems like it would be a great idea.

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »
Tony Hawk was actually in my neighborhood two hours ago. I would of had him autograph my copy of Tony Hawk's Underground but I think he left town already.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 05:16:19 AM »
When I was a Gerb I used to put on the videos and watch em before bed cause I didn't have a DVD player in my room

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
Tony Hawk was actually in my neighborhood two hours ago. I would of had him autograph my copy of Tony Hawk's Underground but I think he left town already.

My ex had him sign a bird watching book.

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 08:57:23 PM »

Ahahahah, I remember clans in THPS 3 online, even tried to start my own with a buddy. Never really got into that borderline cheating stuff though. Was the one back and forth at 3rd and army called the 'robot line' or something like that? Mannnnn, good times back then using 56k to play THPS online haha.

I also had the demo disk before it came out and played the SHIT out of it. Ah, good times with THPS. Anyone remember Grind Session? I always thought that was a fun game too, maybe because Ed Templeton was a main character...

Cool idea for a doc. I've never donated/funded any crowdsourced ideas but think I will contribute to this one.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
Would watch.

Post your favorite thps intro
tony hawk underground INTRO

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 07:59:37 AM »
i would watch this for free. tony hawk really must not give too much of a shit about this coming to life because he could pay for it with 5 seconds of bagel bites money. free max b
FREE MAX B

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »
Played them all to death...I think THPS2 got the most love tho.

Was fortunate enough to work on THP8 when I worked at Activision; I was so stoked.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
Saw this on Reddit a couple weeks ago. F'ing Bam.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
Saw this on Reddit a couple weeks ago. F'ing Bam.

If that's not what the documentary is about, I'm SO not watching it.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
This could be cool, i'd check it out. Personally THPS 4 was always my favourite, at my old house i had a playstation hooked up so i could still play it.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
which one of yous made that - goddamn

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
i remember seeing that tony hawk timeline a few years ago

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »
Isn't THPS 5 just over a year old? It sucks so bad it's the only skateboarding game for the current generation of consoles. It's like $9 on eBay and I can't bring myself to buy it.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
xbone has skate 3. i feel like we are still a half decade from another good game
also the credits to american wasteland and that felix da housecat song is burned into my head
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
Isn't THPS 5 just over a year old? It sucks so bad it's the only skateboarding game for the current generation of consoles. It's like $9 on eBay and I can't bring myself to buy it.

I paid something similar for THPS HD. It's not bad and certainly isn't going to be as much of an abortion as THPS5 was / is.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

ElissaSteamersTits

• Rep: -16
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 02:51:03 AM »
THPS is my favorite game of all time.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam was a direct jab at one of our infamous slap posters: nick jedi sk8boarder. The game was created as Jedi was developing train racing by Tony sending his crony's to monitor Jedi on the mountain sides of Mornington.

That bitch Tony spoke with his lawyers on how to avoid a lawsuit from the world's number 1 sk8boarder and so they changed the title from Tony Hawk's Train Racing to Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. The game was supposedly nearly finished and costed nearly two million to change the game from train racing to downhill racing which is why the finished product wasn't well received.

Two million to change the game? Two million is owed to Jedi? Two million thrown away? Two million woman sucks Kelly Slater's dick?

The numbers are there, Tony and Kelly must pay Jedi. This indigogo is just another one of their scams. Don't fall for it, better to send your money to slap og: Jedi.

Thanks,

poopnuts

Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »
Looks like this is finally going to be seeing a release on 8/18.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 06:51:08 AM »
FWIW, the timeline is missing this game even though it remastered some levels.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 07:07:16 AM »
I watched it last night.

A little more fluffy than I like. The first 20-30 minutes is about establishing skateboarding had died. Not much drama although there's not much drama attached to the story anyway. Most of the information presented in the documentary is new. There are other youtube videos, interviews, etc where all this info is shared. The only thing I wasn't aware of was how it helped Twin Galaxies. They definitely pushed this back to coincide with the release of the game.

It's only 5$ bucks to rent and 1hr 11min. It's not bad, but if you've watched a bunch youtube videos about the game, you pretty much get it.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »
I watched it last night.

A little more fluffy than I like. The first 20-30 minutes is about establishing skateboarding had died. Not much drama although there's not much drama attached to the story anyway. Most of the information presented in the documentary is new. There are other youtube videos, interviews, etc where all this info is shared. The only thing I wasn't aware of was how it helped Twin Galaxies. They definitely pushed this back to coincide with the release of the game.

It's only 5$ bucks to rent and 1hr 11min. It's not bad, but if you've watched a bunch youtube videos about the game, you pretty much get it.
Agreed. Not bad if you haven't looked into the series much but I learned legitimately nothing new. They kind of glossed over the descent in popularity which I was hoping they would get more into. Everyone wants to talk about how great the originals were but not address any of the problems (documentaries are supposed to dive into shit like this). Could have been condensed into a twenty minute youtube fluff piece. I also didn't like how it was like "EA Skate=bad. They divided the market" nah activision and neversoft got caught sleeping.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 04:04:07 PM »
FWIW, the timeline is missing this game even though it remastered some levels.

So the better version of the game they're gonna rereleased. The new engine sucks

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ahahahah, I remember clans in THPS 3 online, even tried to start my own with a buddy. Never really got into that borderline cheating stuff though. Was the one back and forth at 3rd and army called the 'robot line' or something like that? Mannnnn, good times back then using 56k to play THPS online haha.

I also had the demo disk before it came out and played the SHIT out of it. Ah, good times with THPS. Anyone remember Grind Session? I always thought that was a fun game too, maybe because Ed Templeton was a main character...

Cool idea for a doc. I've never donated/funded any crowdsourced ideas but think I will contribute to this one.

A gem of a gem of a skate game