Author Topic: Deathbox Pete Dossett  (Read 4018 times)

Digger19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Deathbox Pete Dossett
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:24 AM »
Hi all. Top of the morning to you from sunny (well pretty grey actually) Ireland. I used to skate back in the late 80's and early 90's. I really enjoyed it but was never very good if I am being honest, so it kind of fizzled out as I got into my late teens. My second deck was a Deathbox Pete Dossett (see photo). Deathbox was UK based so were most popular on this side of the pond. I'm not sure if they were even distributed in the US or Canada....

Anyways, having just hit 40, I have been feeling somewhat nostalgic of late. And amongst other things, I've been reminiscing over my misspent youth and skating in particular. There is absolutely no way I would consider trying to get back on a deck (I would end up killing myself) but I am considering trying to get hold of examples of my old decks to keep for posterity. My first deck was a Rob Roskopp which, I believe, has been re-issued, so no problem there. The Deathbox is proving more illusive, however. The company has long since ceased trading so buying a brand new one is not an option. I've been searching around online at http://www.for-sale.ie/skateboard for used and second hand skateboards for sale but have had no luck in the UK or Ireland trying to find this particular deck. Rare as rocking horse shit it would appear.
So my question is this; were Deathbox decks ever sold in North America? If so, were they popular enough for any decks to be still kicking around? After nearly 30 years, I appreciate that un-skated, mint examples would be like unicorns. But thought it would be worth asking.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:11:21 PM by Digger19 »

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
Re: Deathbox Pete Dossett
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 01:30:26 AM »
Good luck!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:26:11 AM »
You're best bet is finding out who distributed them either in the U.K. Or Europe and hitting them up but be prepared to pay through the nose because they'll smell your nostalgia. That or try to find Pete Dossett.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »
Deathbox became DB because it sounded more new school.....then they all moved to the US and started Flip.....

PS....message boards aren't the best place to bring your midlife crisis.....

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
check out skullandbonesskateboards.com they are a community of people buying and selling old decks. Do a search there for the board you are looking for, I think there are a few collectors on there who specialize in Deathbox. I just go on there to see cool old stuff as I have no money to get any old decks.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »
Good luck with that search. Not seen many clean Deathbox boards in the UK for a while. Sean Goff was the only guy I knew that had any Deathbox left but that was a few years ago now. He has an ebay page that he sells old stock that hes had in storage for the last 30 years http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TODDTWIST. Have you tried the UK collectors page on Facebook, there isnt anything on it just now but maybe worth putting a shout out https://www.facebook.com/groups/1077873885557250/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:18:44 PM by Spike Hawke »

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:46:13 PM »
Was the later "Deathbox Skateboards" related to the OG "Death Box Skateboards" in any way? Spiritual successor or just share the name?
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

JAesop

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »
Was the later "Deathbox Skateboards" related to the OG "Death Box Skateboards" in any way? Spiritual successor or just share the name?

Just shared name. The later was all Watson wood out of Tum Yeto if I remember right.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
Ironically that Deathbox was based on the Dogtown z-Boyz midlife crisis demographic.....

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
Deathbox ran ads in U.S. magazines, however, I never saw a single one in a shop.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
I definitely did...they had Olson and Hackett I think....pineapple maybe...I think it was through blitz....it was pocket pistol type of shit....

Digger19

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »
Good luck with that search. Not seen many clean Deathbox boards in the UK for a while. Sean Goff was the only guy I knew that had any Deathbox left but that was a few years ago now. He has an ebay page that he sells old stock that hes had in storage for the last 30 years http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TODDTWIST. Have you tried the UK collectors page on Facebook, there isnt anything on it just now but maybe worth putting a shout out https://www.facebook.com/groups/1077873885557250/

Thanks for the links. A good place to start at least.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »
Message @danpea1 on insta - he's got more DeathBox boards than most people and might be able to hook you up . . .

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
Meanwhile,  Pete Dossett is still rocking the Euro Legends vert circuit.

bo golden

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »
Deathbox became DB because it sounded more new school.....then they all moved to the US and started Flip.....

PS....message boards aren't the best place to bring your midlife crisis.....

LOL!

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »