Author Topic: Johnny Wilson interview by Pontus Alv - SOLO skate mag  (Read 5554 times)

nino brown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
Re: Johnny Wilson interview by Pontus Alv - SOLO skate mag
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
cherry wasnt that groundbreaking

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
cherry wasnt that groundbreaking

wrong

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
I agree with the Vans and Adidas video shit.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
Was that even a conversation?  It seemed like they were barely listening too one another. I hope it was just poorly edited.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
their whole view on big videos is busted, theyre not as good as they can be but they miss the point of the nice budgets.

best china footage is an enjoi trip a couple years back. it was very casual and probably the only time ive seen skaters  interact with locals in a non-hostile way for a company/crew video.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
I agree but disagree with his views on filming missions and full lengths. He's right the sense that companies spend a bunch of big bucks to send their team on trips and spend $$$ on music rights and shit but I'm still watching parts from Propeller and Away Days.

He mentions Dennis and just making him skate SF, which is amazing because he's in his natural habitat. But at the same time what's wrong with sending him to film in China? Or Japan? Why not add some flavor and spice things up once in a while? You're going to have the same stuff over and over and will never add diversity to a video part. A full SF Dennis part will be godly, but making him film parts only in Sf for the rest of his career? You're out of your mind.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
"Sometimes I pay for cabs to go to the spot and the skater doesn�t get the trick, but I�m not gonna get mad at him. I feel like the skater always knows only one side of the story, whereas the filmer sometimes knows both sides."

^ this statement is very, very true.

Johnny is a great guy, so are all the Wilsons.  it's pretty insane to think he's one of three brothers that all fucking RIP. 

i love how much Pontus hated the Adidas video.  i do too.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
it's pretty insane to think he's one of three brothers that all fucking RIP.

who's the third brother?

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
and away days was the most disappointing thing since the star wars prequels.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Expand Quote
it's pretty insane to think he's one of three brothers that all fucking RIP.
[close]

who's the third brother?

BRUNS - MITCHELL WILSON - 7

micky682

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
I agree but disagree with his views on filming missions and full lengths. He's right the sense that companies spend a bunch of big bucks to send their team on trips and spend $$$ on music rights and shit but I'm still watching parts from Propeller and Away Days.

He mentions Dennis and just making him skate SF, which is amazing because he's in his natural habitat. But at the same time what's wrong with sending him to film in China? Or Japan? Why not add some flavor and spice things up once in a while? You're going to have the same stuff over and over and will never add diversity to a video part. A full SF Dennis part will be godly, but making him film parts only in Sf for the rest of his career? You're out of your mind.
I think because some of those spots in China/Asia are basically skate parks. It isn't real street skating if you don't have to deal with the same shit that regular skaters have to i.e. security, crust, pedestrians,etc. Also Away Days as a full length was a terrible video, yes there were good parts but as a whole product it was overwhelmingly disappointing. Vans Propeller was better, but look at Anti-Hero or Bill Strobeck, or even "Free" those videos were short and sweet and made me go outside and skate.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
Without the internet, those two dudes wouldn't be known outside their region, and none of us would've ever heard about solo mag. Crying over the constant feed of new web videos is the new hating on corporate shoes in skateboarding. It's already a dead horse. Can we move on?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think because some of those spots in China/Asia are basically skate parks. It isn't real street skating if you don't have to deal with the same shit that regular skaters have to i.e. security, crust, pedestrians,etc. Also Away Days as a full length was a terrible video, yes there were good parts but as a whole product it was overwhelmingly disappointing. Vans Propeller was better, but look at Anti-Hero or Bill Strobeck, or even "Free" those videos were short and sweet and made me go outside and skate.

did away days make anyone else purposely not skate?  after I watched that, I broke out an old text book and started conjugating irregular spanish verbs

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
I like how they hate on the adidas video, but don't mention the short format videos made by adidas that were incredible.
Also, not any mention of the boringness of other big productions made by Nike (Chronicles, solo parts etc...).

Nike hasn't made a rewatchable video since On Tap. Maybe the first debacle and BA/gino part in nothing but the truth... Also they praise Greg Hunt on Mindfield then they say Vans was shitty, which can be understood, but that Vans video isn't as bad. Two shorter videos would have been way better tho.

I don't know about that interview, it seems that it has been cut or something.

I've seen more times the Adidas (long lenght and short lengths) or Vans video than the chronicles/Sean Malto part/Luan parts/Shane O'neill etc...
Not to mention the Polar video that wasn't bad, but wasn't anywhere as great as Strongest of the strange or Search of the Miraculous. I'm sure Pontus is the first to realize it.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 06:22:57 AM »
I like how they hate on the adidas video, but don't mention the short format videos made by adidas that were incredible.
Also, not any mention of the boringness of other big productions made by Nike (Chronicles, solo parts etc...).

Nike hasn't made a rewatchable video since On Tap. Maybe the first debacle and BA/gino part in nothing but the truth... Also they praise Greg Hunt on Mindfield then they say Vans was shitty, which can be understood, but that Vans video isn't as bad. Two shorter videos would have been way better tho.

I've seen more times the Adidas (long lenght and short lengths) or Vans video than the chronicles/Sean Malto part/Luan parts/Shane O'neill etc...
Not to mention the Polar video that wasn't bad, but wasn't anywhere as great as Strongest of the strange or Search of the Miraculous. I'm sure Pontus is the first to realize it.

Bobby and Hjalte's Looks OK to Me

Good thing there aren't skate related art schools or we'd be up to our balls in this bullshit

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good thing there aren't skate related art schools or we'd be up to our balls in this bullshit

SCANDILOUS - Nike Skateboarding X Fluff - Scandinavia

Nike SB & Quartersnacks: CORE

Nike SB | Karsto and Janno
hardly art, hardly starving

Ineffable Epoch

• Rep: -77
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:58 AM »
At what point are you over it when somebody doesn?t land a trick? Do you ever say, ?Fuck it, I?m done??

I guess sometimes I?ll make it known, but I won?t say it. I just say something like, ?Ah I?m so hungry?

I think this is more disrespectful for the skater who is trying really hard than just saying, like, "dude let's leave it for another day", if both see that the trick/line/whatever isn't working.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

SCANDILOUS - Nike Skateboarding X Fluff - Scandinavia

Nike SB & Quartersnacks: CORE

Nike SB | Karsto and Janno

I mean you're kinda right about these videos, even if I haven't rewatched those, but do they really count as Nike videos? Yes they are on the Nike youtube channel but they are more like "Nike helped us with the travel expense and gave our filmer some money and we filmed this and they put their logo" than a 100% Nike SB promoted and produced project.
Those kind of videos are probably a better strategy and have a probably higher ROI than any of the Nike promoted and produced content like the Sean Malto one, the hyperfeel one or any part filmed for the chronicles...

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
oh, totally... paying Wilson and the crew and Hjalte/Bobby and all that stuff is waaaay more effective marketing than the regular channels/"elite" squad... at least for skateboarder-skateboarders. 

I love how in the Bobby Puleo interview, Pontus gave Nike shine by having Bobby say he skates Nikes...just cuts off the swoosh, in an effort not to give them any shine.  So... what I took away was - Bobby prefers to skate in Nikes.
hardly art, hardly starving

Grind King Rims

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
oh, totally... paying Wilson and the crew and Hjalte/Bobby and all that stuff is waaaay more effective marketing than the regular channels/"elite" squad... at least for skateboarder-skateboarders. 

I love how in the Bobby Puleo interview, Pontus gave Nike shine by having Bobby say he skates Nikes...just cuts off the swoosh, in an effort not to give them any shine.  So... what I took away was - Bobby prefers to skate in Nikes.

I completely agree on both points.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »
It's absolutely a Nike video.

micky682

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
Didn't Polar start because Pontus had money from Converse aka Nike?

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »

may have been Carhartt

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

may have been Carhartt

Polar (Converse)/Palace(adidas)/Fucking Awesome(vans) wouldn't have expanded so fast without big shoe company salaries. Nick Jensen being on Nike and Shier working for adidas doesn't hurt either to run Isle.
If you and most of your riders at getting a good pay and benefit from big companies exposure, it's free advertising and less stress on paying yourself or your riders.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

may have been Carhartt
he basically said that without him being on converse polar wouldnt exist.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
the issue here is not the corporate companies themself, but their inability to make good full length videos.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

may have been Carhartt
[close]

Polar (Converse)/Palace(adidas)/Fucking Awesome(vans) wouldn't have expanded so fast without big shoe company salaries. Nick Jensen being on Nike and Shier working for adidas doesn't hurt either to run Isle.
If you and most of your riders at getting a good pay and benefit from big companies exposure, it's free advertising and less stress on paying yourself or your riders.

Nick Jensen was still on lakai for a while after isle started, but yeah, I'm not going to nit-pick because everything else you said was accurate.

fangen

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Polar the best brand, but they have become so Nike that i can barely stand them anymore.

John Wilson and his nike boys are whack. Big ups to the real NY skate scene.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 41
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
Polar the best brand, but they have become so Nike that i can barely stand them anymore.

John Wilson and his nike boys are whack. Big ups to the real NY skate scene.
what does "so nike" even mean?