Author Topic: Johnny Wilson interview by Pontus Alv - SOLO skate mag  (Read 5556 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Johnny Wilson interview by Pontus Alv - SOLO skate mag
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't Polar start because Pontus had money from Converse aka Nike?
[close]

may have been Carhartt
[close]

Polar (Converse)/Palace(adidas)/Fucking Awesome(vans) wouldn't have expanded so fast without big shoe company salaries. Nick Jensen being on Nike and Shier working for adidas doesn't hurt either to run Isle.
If you and most of your riders at getting a good pay and benefit from big companies exposure, it's free advertising and less stress on paying yourself or your riders.
[close]

Nick Jensen was still on lakai for a while after isle started, but yeah, I'm not going to nit-pick because everything else you said was accurate.

But he also said he had to skate for Nike because Lakai they were going to have to reduce his pay and without that check, he would have needed to get a full-time job and put Isle on the back burner. Nike was able to match his old paycheck and let him continue doing Isle and skating full time.

micky682

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »
^^ It'd be quite sad for Carroll and Rickk to be mad at someone for going to Nike for those reasons. There is no need to accept a lower quality of life just to ride for a "skater owned" shoe company.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »
i want his next web edit have the skate audio only on the tricks he was talking about

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
^^ It'd be quite sad for Carroll and Rickk to be mad at someone for going to Nike for those reasons. There is no need to accept a lower quality of life just to ride for a "skater owned" shoe company.

carroll seems to be the pissy one

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »

I didn't think they were mad at him about it though. I was just commenting that Isle is continuing because of some Nike support in some manner even if it didn't need it to get off the ground.