Author Topic: De-Swooshing Shoes  (Read 4988 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
De-Swooshing Shoes
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:59:50 AM »
I was wondering what the common experience of removing swooshes (or any logos) off shoes was.  I want to do it wth a pair of Two Up Blazers, but I was wondering what to expect glue-wise or whatever else might be lurking underneath the swoosh.  Thanks!

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: De-Swooshing Shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:07 AM »
I've taken many different logos off, vans tabs, cons inner ankle logo circles, an adio logo at one time. mostly its just stitching, did come across a centre dab of glue on the cons but i ran a lighter over it and it seemed to disappear a little, looking at the two guys on here who have taken a razor to the swoosh it looks like its just stitched on, so just make sure its sharp and run it around the edges, a thread picker might help too

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:07:07 AM »
From my experience, neither dunks nor blazers have glue under the swoosh.
It could change depending on the colorway if they are premium or whatnot but I don't think so, because it would mean changing the process, rather than the materials, and it means additional costs. Nike dislikes additional costs.
Use a box cutter and some pliers to take of the seams afterwards

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:33:37 AM »
Someone on here , I'm blanking on who, did a little before after on a pair of ck all courts. I think he brushed down with a wire brush at the end and it looked really good.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:28 AM »
what is the point of this?

coneklr

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »

Aesthetics or trying to not advertise you are riding corpo shoes ( if thats something that bums you out ) would be my guess.

I will say I really enjoyed the look of those lost art shoes that someone removed the swooshes from for sure.  Made them look 100% cleaner

coneklr

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:29:18 AM »
Found it, sharkin did it to these in the shoes I'm wearing thread

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aesthetics or trying to not advertise you are riding corpo shoes ( if thats something that bums you out ) would be my guess.

I will say I really enjoyed the look of those lost art shoes that someone removed the swooshes from for sure.  Made them look 100% cleaner

Those people are really taking a stand there.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »
some shoes just look better without em, those Lost Arts are the best example. ? also, sometimes the swoosh gets torn, tattered and starts falling off itself. ? again, with those Lost Art ones, the swoosh were wool and shedded crap all over your griptape

the tweezers/pliers and lighter are the most essential steps in the post-removal process. ? Cosme taught me that. he did the perfect removal some time back, which in turn, was Alex Olson inspired I believe

see also: the recent puleo interview
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:47:51 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I will say I really enjoyed the look of those lost art shoes that someone removed the swooshes from for sure.  Made them look 100% cleaner
[close]

Overly self-conscious and lame. If you drop $80 on a pair of shoes, own that shit. Obviously there are cases where it could make it look better if you find some with a ugly ass colorway in the cutout bin or something though.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
some shoes just look better without em, those Lost Arts are the best example. ? also, sometimes the swoosh gets torn, tattered and starts falling off itself. ? again, with those Lost Art ones, the swoosh were wool and shedded crap all over your griptape

the tweezers/pliers and lighter are the most essential steps in the post-removal process. ? Cosme taught me that. he did the perfect removal some time back, which in turn, was Alex Olson inspired I believe

see also: the recent puleo interview

That's why I did it.
I'm sireit would look great on a brand new black/white blazer

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I will say I really enjoyed the look of those lost art shoes that someone removed the swooshes from for sure.  Made them look 100% cleaner
[close]

[close]
Overly self-conscious and lame. If you drop $80 on a pair of shoes, own that shit. Obviously there are cases where it could make it look better if you find some with a ugly ass colorway in the cutout bin or something though.

I had the newer white/black blazers (I bought these when it seemed like they weren't coming out) so I just wanted to switch it up and I saw the Huf Blazer and thought it looked good w/o logo

Thanks for the advice everyone

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »
Anyone have advice for sewing a swoosh ONTO shoes? I've been saving money by having a sweatshop in my basement but without logos the shoes look hella wack!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Part of owning it means the possibility of customizing them... however you see fit. I'm not saying you're wrong or that I disagree with you, just saying.

Pigeon

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »
Anyone have advice for sewing a swoosh ONTO shoes? I've been saving money by having a sweatshop in my basement but without logos the shoes look hella wack!
Tell your sweatshop people to do it for you.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
cutting the swoosh off of your nike shoe so youre not advertising for nike is about as cool as writing "skaters only" on the back of your thrasher tee. but hey, you guys do whatever you want.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »

Those lost art blazers were $30 but those ugly mismatched swooshes weren't doin it for me.

They were pretty easy to remove, just pulled up and cut the stitching with a razor and tiny scissors. I thought they would have had glue too, I know some other SBs I've skated the swooshes off had glue behind them

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
Too much effort.

I always block out the DC logo with a sharpie tho. That's the reverse tho, I could not care less about having a nike logo but DC, that's an image I'd rather not be known for ;)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
Too much effort.

I always block out the DC logo with a sharpie tho. That's the reverse tho, I could not care less about having a nike logo but DC, that's an image I'd rather not be known for ;)

Said this guy.
you never know about pre-cum 

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 12:59:42 PM »
The fuck?

The entire point of spending 90$ on shoes is to GET the swoosh

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:43 PM »
cutting the swoosh off of your nike shoe so youre not advertising for nike is about as cool as writing "skaters only" on the back of your thrasher tee. but hey, you guys do whatever you want.

Which means it's like THE COOLEST THING EVER!!!

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
I de-label a lot of my stuff, mostly for aesthetic reasons, but also, in some small way, so I'm not contributing as much to the advertising of any brand that I don't wholeheartedly support (i.e. I don't like to wear something with a logo unless I really want other people looking into and or buying that product). And if someone asks what brand something I de-logo'd is, I'll tell them; I'm not trying to be secretive about it. I do think material, color, design and overall shape are more important than a logo and I'd rather those attributes not get twisted by someones opinion of or subconscious associations with a brand (a bit too self-conscious in some regard). I also just enjoy the process... I understand the hypocrisy in it, but there's no escaping hypocrisy
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:36:49 PM by weaselhead »
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
I get the point behind those lost art blazers- they actually look really cool without the logos. But to say that you're "not down with supporting major sport brands" is dumb to me.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
just use a seam ripper or an exacto knife and cut the stitching then rip/cut it off.

Break a few seams then go along the inside.

I do this to my nikes that I buy used. Not trying to support sweatshop labor and not trying to advertise their skateshop trojan horse.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
Step 1: Don't buy Nike

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shit_for_brains

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
just use a seam ripper or an exacto knife and cut the stitching then rip/cut it off.

I do this to my nikes that I buy used. Not trying to support sweatshop labor and not trying to advertise their skateshop trojan horse.

Well tough shit you're doing it anyway.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
Step 1: Don't buy Nike

AGREED

or go Piss Drunx/Templeton and spray paint your shoes.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
I get the point behind those lost art blazers- they actually look really cool without the logos. But to say that you're "not down with supporting major sport brands" is dumb to me.

those lost arts are what I had in mind with the canvas two up blazers - trying to do the Huf Blazer look since I can't find that anywhere.  no bigger stance than that

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »
I need those swooshes to glue on to my 2001 Rodney Mullen pro models so my friends will stop roasting me.

I like them better than airmax

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well tough shit you're doing it anyway.

I buy my shoes used, see the post you quoted.