Author Topic: SMOG/BILL CALAHAN  (Read 4539 times)

behavioralguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
SMOG/BILL CALAHAN
« on: March 26, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
ANY EARLY AND LATE SMOG/BILL CALAHAN APRECIATERS HERE?
anyone seen him LIVE??

does anyone own any earlier tapes or zines?
Got some newer records but craving to own more.

Crockets even cooler for using smog in his parts (although not the best songs in my opinion)
That music list the owner of quasi posted on jenkem was cool too (with that wire song outdoor miner

Mongoloid

Re: SMOG/BILL CALAHAN
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
I've been a massive fan for about 13 or so years now.

Absolutely didn't "get it" at first, but then his music grew on me as I matured (Supper was my first Smog love). Sadly I've never seen him perform in that time span.

Bill is very much so a modern day Leonard Cohen.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
I've been a massive fan for about 13 or so years now.

Absolutely didn't "get it" at first, but then his music grew on me as I matured (Supper was my first Smog love). Sadly I've never seen him perform in that time span.

Bill is very much so a modern day Leonard Cohen.

i only got to know smog trough Gil Scott Heron naming his swansong album after a song by him 6 yrs ago

The cohen comparison is somewhat crooked and contrived. More so then it is true (altough it is ofc)

Mongoloid

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
Wow! Never knew of the Gil Scott Heron connection.

Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of my mention of Leonard Cohen...

This is a great cover imo!

as is his Kath Bloom cover.

Also another lesser known gem from the Drag City Supersession.

MOUNTAIN

• Rep: 211
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
Saw him a couple months back. And once the day after Lou Reed died, he did a rad white light/white heat cover. I definitely think he's the best we've got right now when it comes to PURE singer songwriter. He always plays interesting and intimate venues, which is perfect for the genre and the atmosphere the music deserves. This man is a relic.

Yea the Leonard comment is kinda shallow, but I've always seen similarities in them.  I wish there were more interviews with Bill.

"I always went wrong in the same place
Where the river splits towards the sea
That couldn?t possibly be, You and me
Sometimes you sleep while I take us home" BC

"Well, the trees they got much smaller
The lake, a lady's mirror
We stopped to drink some wine
Then he threw the bottle over
Broke a minute later
And he put his hand on mine" LC

We used to skate on a sculpture by Henry Moore. Good times.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »

i like this one but ye i could do some more callahan talking, hes genuine

Grind King Rims

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »
I only know him from Gilbert Crockett's propeller part using "Cold Blooded Old Times", but I love that song. What's a good place to start with him?

Mongoloid

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »
I only know him from Gilbert Crockett's propeller part using "Cold Blooded Old Times", but I love that song. What's a good place to start with him?

Probably the record "Knock Knock" as his  Smog moniker (which contains "cold blooded old times").

His earlier works were extremely lo-fi and not digestible for just anyone, but you can't go wrong with "Red Apple Falls" as a chronological starting point, all the way through "A River Ain't too Much to Love".

For his work under his name I'd recommend "Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle".

Grind King Rims

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
Thanks Mongols, gnarred

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »

Loved this one

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
I went to a show he played in late 2006, I think this was just after he had stopped using the Smog moniker.  It was a solo acoustic set and he played a lot of stuff from A River Ain't too Much too Love and Woke on a Whaleheart.  It was a great set but I thought the venue was too big for his stuff to really resonate.  He was opening for Joanna Newsom so the venue was more tailored to her and her band.  This was one of the songs he opened with and a highlight for me.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
That Smog/Danny Renaud combo from last of the Mohicans was/is amazing. Perfect fit...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:05:06 AM by whitemanjazz »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Mongoloid

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 01:24:19 PM »
I went to a show he played in late 2006, I think this was just after he had stopped using the Smog moniker.  It was a solo acoustic set and he played a lot of stuff from A River Ain't too Much too Love and Woke on a Whaleheart.  It was a great set but I thought the venue was too big for his stuff to really resonate.  He was opening for Joanna Newsom so the venue was more tailored to her and her band.  This was one of the songs he opened with and a highlight for me.

I'm totally fucking jealous!

Joanna Newsom's record Ys is sheer brilliance. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely adore her!

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
Been a huge Smog fan since mid 90?s.
Saw Smog once around 2001, great show.
I love the earlier stuff, but also enjoy the newer albums aswell

super-basic

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »

Chloe Sevigny and a great song.

super-basic

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »

Loved this one

Yeah this song is one of my favorites.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »
One of my favorites, probably the most haunting song I've heard.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
you never know about pre-cum 

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Joanna Newsom's record Ys is sheer brilliance. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely adore her!
I do feel very lucky to have seen them both during that time period.  My gripe with the venue was that it was a semi-large theatre with a big stage.  Joanna was playing with a five member crew with some very large instruments so they probably needed that space.  It was hard for BC to fill the room with just a guitar and his voice.  Regardless I was impressed with both of their performances.  And I agree Ys is an incredible record. 
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Mongoloid

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 04:24:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I do feel very lucky to have seen them both during that time period.  My gripe with the venue was that it was a semi-large theatre with a big stage.  Joanna was playing with a five member crew with some very large instruments so they probably needed that space.  It was hard for BC to fill the room with just a guitar and his voice.  Regardless I was impressed with both of their performances.  And I agree Ys is an incredible record. 

Yeah, I imagine a small intimate sound space would be ideal for Bill's sound.

I've always loved his Black Cab Session when he performs River Guard.

Speaking of River Guard, I'm wondering if any of you know if there's a connection beyond  coincidental as to why Smog's River Guard and Songs: Ohia's Goodnight Lover share a nearly identical chord progression. Both records containing the previously mentioned tracks were released in 1999.

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 06:52:17 AM »
Bill Callahan is a Mr. Mention, Don of Dons, second coming of the royal Prince of Judah. Sizzla approve big time mi bredren. I&I see disya dude live many many time.
I an I haff nah white god

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
looking for a part or video with a part edited to America!
I think it was NY (state?) based video, the skater was wearing campus-y adidas mostly (i think),
some night lines, one involving ollie-ing a hydrant placed on a little asphalt hip

(did posting yt change with website makeover?)

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
i know its old but its a gripe i've had for years...

bill was touring with joanna for 'ys', opening for her. he has a part on one of her songs, one of the best parts of the album. but for some reason he didn't come out to sing it, she had some weakass sounding dude do bill's part. bummed me out
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
He's great. Got to see him at a small venue this year and it ruled

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
He's probably due to put out something new soon. It's been a few years since the last release, I believe.

I wasn't super into "Dream River" overall, but this is one of my favorite songs of his:

i know its old but its a gripe i've had for years...

bill was touring with joanna for 'ys', opening for her. he has a part on one of her songs, one of the best parts of the album. but for some reason he didn't come out to sing it, she had some weakass sounding dude do bill's part. bummed me out

Yeah that seems like a really dumb decision.

I've listened to "Ys" a few times, but I don't think I even realized he was on it.