Author Topic: Skaters That Make Serious Money  (Read 10881 times)

ratfink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: Skaters That Make Serious Money
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Karl Watson said on here that most dudes make $40K-$60K per year, definitely not bad money.
[close]
are you 12? thats not great
[close]

Never said it was great, just said it wasn't bad. That's more than most university lecturers get paid...
Sadly true. Also got to keep in mind that most pro's aren't promised there $40-60K for a long run, just like old athletes.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
I'd say there is probably a pretty big divide between the haves and the have-nots in the industry now. Not like the late 90's, where if you had a pro-board on a good team (Alien/Habitat, Girl/Chocolate) you were making serious bank. Now, you need one of 3 things to be making big money, first is having a shoe with one of Nike, Adidas or Vans, second is energy drinks, and the third is Street league. I'd also assume there are some people making serious bank off of soft goods that may trickle down to the riders (FA and Palace).

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Karl Watson said on here that most dudes make $40K-$60K per year, definitely not bad money.
[close]
That's strange because Ryan Lay mentioned not too long ago that it's around $24-30K with paying shoe/board/clothing sponsors, which is a significant downturn: http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/11/10/skateboarding-as-a-career-with-ryan-lay/

Would the industry be more profitable nowadays if it was composed solely of companies created and run by skateboarders?
[close]

It would be more profitable if there weren't 800 pros trying to eat out of the same trough. The pro ranks are horribly overpopulated.
[close]
That's true, plus maybe there's something to be said for raising the price of boards and giving the extra to the pro's salary. But then if Revive or whatever keeps their prices the same level, that's just more money for them. I'm just guessing here, I'm not an expert.

Not sure if I agree with the outside argument of getting rid of shop boards so brands can earn more money, that's tricky. Wouldn't agree with that as I proudly ride/rep Green Apple boards, plus the wood comes from Habitat and Girl as well. I also buy shop boards that are collabs with great artists like the Atlas/Brian Lotti one.

Are you in winterpeg? Mike is the shit and so is green apple. Just got boards and hoodies there again last month

Also sfb is correct. There is waaaaaay too many pros
Gentleman ninja warlock

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Never said it was great, just said it wasn't bad. That's more than most university lecturers get paid...
[close]
Sadly true. Also got to keep in mind that most pro's aren't promised there $40-60K for a long run, just like old athletes.

50k a year is not terrible at all if you are single and in your first 3-5 years of most jobs, or have partner that provides a second income. 

the issue is when 60k is essentially your "cap" and instead of growing you will see diminishing returns...

university lecturer is a perfect example-  in their first 5-7 years they will probably be making under 50k a year but at the 10 year mark (and thereafter) they will see a growth in their income.  most pros have to bank fast or they fucked five years from now.

relevant:
https://www.streetplantbrand.com/jay-adams/ 

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:16 PM »
WHo Cares ?? At least talk about SK8ing and not the pay check they bring home.

I haven't been here long, But this Tracer dude sounds like a real Jerk
Do You even Street Style ???

baby dick

• Rep: 7
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
there are so many god damn pros now it's hard to imagine they're all being paid 40-50k, even with a board sponsor and shoe sponsor. maybe skateboarding needs a D league.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »
I thought he was broke:

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=94045.0

Jesus Tracer, even I know a Ghibli is a Maserati not a Lamborghini.

Anyway $50K a year is pretty shit really and obviously would be related to just how many pros are around these days. Its none of my business and people can run their companies however they want but I get the feeling for a long time most pros would have a board for 3 to 5 years while they were at the top of their game then step back or get a tap on the shoulder. These days it seems like its 10 to 15 years probably half of which is kinda coasting collecting checks.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »
It was a test

You passed

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »
The big money isn't in being a skateboarder, but rather owning a skateshop. Think about it, all the neck tattoos you want man. All you gotta do is kick back, eat hot wings, and collect the dough.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
The big money isn't in being a skateboarder, but rather owning a skateshop. Think about it, all the neck tattoos you want man. All you gotta do is kick back, eat hot wings, and collect the dough.
Eating hot wings and getting throat tats would seriously cut into your bottom line. Wings are about 1$ each and a throat tat by a world class artist runs upwards of 10K. You don't want to intimidate your customers with face ink, reckless eating and bad breath. Those wings can catch up to you and that tat could stretch into something ugly(er.)

I know certain shops make boatloads though.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »
What? That's welfare. I'm not doing that. Throwing out extra money I bust ass for so some kid doesn't have to get a job? Hell no.

Hahaha

Are you in winterpeg? Mike is the shit and so is green apple. Just got boards and hoodies there again last month

Also sfb is correct. There is waaaaaay too many pros

I am, if you want to meet up for a session let me know.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

50k a year is not terrible at all if you are single and in your first 3-5 years of most jobs, or have partner that provides a second income. 

the issue is when 60k is essentially your "cap" and instead of growing you will see diminishing returns...

university lecturer is a perfect example-  in their first 5-7 years they will probably be making under 50k a year but at the 10 year mark (and thereafter) they will see a growth in their income.  most pros have to bank fast or they fucked five years from now.

relevant:
https://www.streetplantbrand.com/jay-adams/ 

thanks for that. rip jay adams.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Lurper

• Rep: -9
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »
The median household income in the States was 55K in 2016 (https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2016/comm/cb16-158_median_hh_income_map.html). So, if a pro is making 50K a year he is doing pretty well considering about half of the households (not individual earners but households) in the country make less than he does for jumping around on his skateboard.

As for skaters who have serious money, it is likely few and far between. Rocco walked away with some serious money, Pierre from Sole Tech has some serious money, Dyrdek is sitting on some money (despite not having a soul), Jason Lee got some serious money from being in movies, and of course Tony Hawk.

Then I'd imagine the mainstream guys are next on the chain Sheckler, Nyjah, Pudwell, P-Rod, Chris Cole, D-Way, etc.

Then TNT, Busenitz, Janoski, Mayhew, Steve Cab, etc. are probably pretty comfortable and don't really need to worry about money.

And then there is everyone else who are going to need to find real jobs.

But, hell, even if we go with Ryan's number of 24K, I'd be stoked if someone paid me 24K to travel around the world and skateboard (well as long I was not riding for Zero and dealing with the Chief expecting me to wear the emo uniform and expecting me to kill myself for pennies while he remodeled his house on the beach).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:25:04 PM by Lurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »
Although this is from 2014 it still has to be around the same for most of these guys
http://www.therichest.com/sports/other-sports/11-richest-professional-skateboarders-in-the-world/

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »
Janoski is chilling for the rest of his life. Best selling Nike SB shoe by a long shot.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »
Although this is from 2014 it still has to be around the same for most of these guys
http://www.therichest.com/sports/other-sports/11-richest-professional-skateboarders-in-the-world/
Oh gawd. Shaun fucking White. Do people really consider him a skater?

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 06:09:21 AM »
50K a year is no money in the states ? With 50k a year in Europe you're gonna live pretty good. I'm now curious how much does Lucas makes? If he gets around 50-60k a year he's living pretty good in France.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 06:24:56 AM »
50K a year is no money in the states ? With 50k a year in Europe you're gonna live pretty good. I'm now curious how much does Lucas makes? If he gets around 50-60k a year he's living pretty good in France.

Numerous high selling shoes with adidas. I'd say he's clearing waaa?y more than that.
Gentleman ninja warlock

SimonFR

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 07:04:25 AM »
Lucas earns way more than 60k,

Shoe on Adidas : heard from a "french pro" that he got between 8 and 10k a month
Runs Helas Caps : Everyone wear them in Europe at least
Just got off clich?, but was their main skater for a long time.
Just got off fourstar, but was on the A team for a long time.

Pretty sure he lives very well, you can see his house in the Adidas Toulouse video, and it's beautiful.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »
Janoski is chilling for the rest of his life. Best selling Nike SB shoe by a long shot.

In 2013 he out sold every other shoe nike made, beyond sb.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 08:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's fucked. Was that before he sold the rights to his name? If so, imagine the royalties??? Holy fuck
Gentleman ninja warlock

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
He said on The Bunt that he never sold his name. That was just a rumor.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

wow, really?

I thought Nike's best seller has been the air monarch for the last decade straight

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
damn what? major twist
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
damn what? major twist
I'm betting Nike made him sign a non disclosure agreement when they bought his name, voiding his contract if he admits it is true.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
99% sure Janoski sold his name/rights in the 3MM range. no royalties.

that shoe isn't going anywhere 7 years later,  it's a classic plus now a cross trainer. the name janoski is an abstraction from skateboarding at this point.

his decedents could have been set for generations. now he has to keep doing switch crooks forever.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
Even if he sold the rights to his name, it doesnt mean he cant have a structured deal with 1-3% royalties for life.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »
janoski on black lodge confirmed
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »
oh jesus christ this shit again

micky682

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
We all know he sold his name, no need for further discussion.