Author Topic: Skaters That Make Serious Money  (Read 10886 times)

poor alice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
Re: Skaters That Make Serious Money
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2017, 11:59:15 PM »
We all know he sold his name, no need for further discussion.

Yeah there was an interview (text) a few years ago where he semi-openly discusses the "selling his name". Iirc he said he took a lump sum / long contract payment that removed royalties but ensured he was comfortable for life.
I didn't imagine this.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

oneOone

• Rep: 3

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
P Rod has had 10 pro nike shoes not sure why everyone's hooked on Stefan?

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
P Rod has had 10 pro nike shoes not sure why everyone's hooked on Stefan?

Probably because the janoski has outsold his 10 pro models 1000 fold or more
Gentleman ninja warlock

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »
The white P Rod 9 elite is probably the nicest looking shoe Nike SB has ever made.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
Nice shoe! Looks great for golfing
Gentleman ninja warlock

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
Hahaha fuck
Gentleman ninja warlock

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Karl Watson said on here that most dudes make $40K-$60K per year, definitely not bad money.
[close]
are you 12? thats not great

Lmao police officers and teachers come in making ess than 40k in most places. 40-60k a year for riding a skateboard isn't a bad deal at all.

Pigeon

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 06:10:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Karl Watson said on here that most dudes make $40K-$60K per year, definitely not bad money.
[close]
[close]

Lmao police officers and teachers come in making ess than 40k in most places. 40-60k a year for riding a skateboard isn't a bad deal at all.
To be fair, most skateboarders would not be making that money if they had to work an actual job. They would be working in kitchens or at retail stores. The only legal way to get a salary like that would be serving at a decent restaurant or trucking. Bartending is even more lucrative for uneducated people, though.

Aside from the 40-60k, they get a bunch of gear to resell, and get compensated for travel. The only thing that sucks is gettin injuries. It would have to fuck over most people, because of the financial costs. Even with really good insurance, surgeries cost thousands of dollars.

micky682

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

In my county they make $80,000+, much more than the teachers do.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
To be fair, most skateboarders would not be making that money if they had to work an actual job. They would be working in kitchens or at retail stores. The only legal way to get a salary like that would be serving at a decent restaurant or trucking. Bartending is even more lucrative for uneducated people, though.

Aside from the 40-60k, they get a bunch of gear to resell, and get compensated for travel. The only thing that sucks is gettin injuries. It would have to fuck over most people, because of the financial costs. Even with really good insurance, surgeries cost thousands of dollars.
Professional skaters do not have a lot of longetivity, for the most part. And I would imagine that the time spent pursuing a career in skating might distance one even further from the culture of education and the idea of a "normal job". So the "economic value" of being a professional skater should be estimated not only from the perspective of how much money you make while being a pro, but also from the viewpoint of what other possible opportunities you block out when being a professional skater. Time also has a value and the time you spend being a pro can work against you (might be harder to move into other careers/education when you are a 40-year old ex professional with little experience outside of skating). It might be really fun being a pro while it lasts, though.

pussyclench

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
Yeah cops can make over 100k easy. Most work mad uniformed security overtime. If a cop in america is making less than 70k hes a lazy fuck.

At least in the slightly bigger cities thats the case.

I would be a contests skater, Lutzka, fuck it, gimme that lump sum bitch.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
Lutzka's lump sum peaked with K Swiss announcing a skate program that never launched.

pussyclench

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Lutzka's lump sum peaked with K Swiss announcing a skate program that never launched.
Ill take it. They wouldnt even let me join the army, now thats fucking failure.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »
I doubt 40k would cover much more than rent in a place like San Francisco. 

SimonFR

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2017, 12:22:22 AM »
Nobody said sheckler ?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2017, 06:19:50 AM »

Average rent per person according to whatever fucking study (not me so I don't care about your anecdotal experiences) in San Francisco in early 2017 is $3089. 40k would cover nothing.

Lurper

• Rep: -9
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Average rent per person according to whatever fucking study (not me so I don't care about your anecdotal experiences) in San Francisco in early 2017 is $3089. 40k would cover nothing.

This makes the assumption that these guys are trying to live alone or that incomes in America allow normal people to live in single earner families. In Oakland the median household income is 52K per year. So if you had two pros sharing an apartment in Oakland they would be making roughly double the median household income for the area. Two guys getting paid double the median household income for playing with skateboards sounds pretty good. Moreover, the base income doesn't include the free trips around the world, free clothing, etc. Compared to most of the population (who make less than they do) they are doing fairly well, especially considering that they aren't working some shit ass retail job or some hard ass construction job.

The only way someone could convince me that the pros were being underpaid is if the company owners/executives were making tons of money, while paying the pros shit. When the Chief remodels his house on the beach while paying some of his pros $300 a month that is some serious bullshit. However, if the Chief was paying his riders $50 a month while only taking home x% more for himself that would be totally fine. If skateboarding can't pay the company's bills, why should it pay the skaters' bills?

Quote from: Bronson

Professional skaters do not have a lot of longetivity, for the most part. And I would imagine that the time spent pursuing a career in skating might distance one even further from the culture of education and the idea of a "normal job". So the "economic value" of being a professional skater should be estimated not only from the perspective of how much money you make while being a pro, but also from the viewpoint of what other possible opportunities you block out when being a professional skater. Time also has a value and the time you spend being a pro can work against you (might be harder to move into other careers/education when you are a 40-year old ex professional with little experience outside of skating). It might be really fun being a pro while it lasts, though.

1) The idea of someone "pursuing a career in skating" sounds a little to close to the way Jagger/Nyjah view skateboarding. Also, there are some pros putting in less "work" than the average local skater. 2) Going to university might not be cool in skateboarding, but considering a full-time student goes to class 12-15 hours a week 9 months out of the year, yea, it doesn't seem that a degree would be out of the question for a pro who has super flexible schedule. Not to mention, real universities offer online degrees, so the pro wouldn't even need to be anywhere near a university. 3) How many pros just fall into being sales reps after their "career" is over?

Some ams/pros are certainly getting ripped off (probably the guys who skate in Street League in terms of what % of income/profit go to the skaters opposed to Dyrdek and his corporate investor partners; NBA players get 51% of basketball related income), but to say someone making 50K a year for skateboarding isn't getting paid enough compared to the rest of America is a bit much. The median household income is below 60K, if one individual is making the median household income for jumping around on a skateboarding, that is pretty damn good compared to the rest of the people who actually work for a living.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:27:45 PM by Lurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
Bam margera is sitting pretty for the rest of his days.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »
Cops starting wage is 60k+ in my neck of the woods. I don't know how much the average officer makes, but you better believe they're doing alright if every single one of them is making at the very least the average of an entire household. You're doing good if you're making 40k alone. Per capita income average of CA was 32k as of 2015. The reality is you have to shack up with other people if you want a decent living situation anywhere in CA, let alone the Bay Area. All the skaters up there are either making good money or living on top of each other. Probably both. Affording good housing is the best argument for marriage I can think of.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -483
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 02:53:37 AM »
I would imagine , Ellington, Reynolds and Greco make a decent amount off baker boys. hell at one point they were American distributor for Palace. That had to make them a nice chunk of change alone. but they're all really modest after sobering up.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 06:54:20 AM »
Yeah, Greco's 30 minute films about himself trying on shoes and eating pork chops are incredibly modest.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

A lot of this depends on your deals are set up, a kid i know on Deluxe and Nike has Ryan Clemmins as his manager and he said he's gonna get paid about $1500 a month when they offically put him on, and then when that happens the way his deal is set up Nike will have to start paying him around $2000 a month and Volcom will be paying him another $1500 or so. Albeit he rides for all top tier companies thats really good money for being an am. He's also a contest kid so that might get him a little bit more money, but $1500 a month for being am sounds pretty good, idk if thats a standard DLX deal or everyone has their own thing.

Pigeon

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:49 AM »
^
Damn, 60k for an am...skateboarders do sacrifice education and their health for footage, so it makes sense to get paid well. One trip to the ER with X-rays and surgery usually runs from 3.5-7K, depending on the severity. Imagine having to spend over a month's income on medical bills...on a related note, do people get fully paid by their sponsors if they're injured for an extended period of time?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2017, 06:06:45 AM »
^
Damn, 60k for an am...skateboarders do sacrifice education and their health for footage, so it makes sense to get paid well. One trip to the ER with X-rays and surgery usually runs from 3.5-7K, depending on the severity. Imagine having to spend over a month's income on medical bills...on a related note, do people get fully paid by their sponsors if they're injured for an extended period of time?

I am pretty sure that depends on if you're still repping the brand and moving product.  Really popular dudes can be hurt for a long time and just post stuff on social media and show up to team/skate events (Malto, Mike Mo, etc.).   

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2017, 08:25:08 AM »
Yeah, Greco's 30 minute films about himself trying on shoes and eating pork chops are incredibly modest.

No eggroll

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

A lot of this depends on your deals are set up, a kid i know on Deluxe and Nike has Ryan Clemmins as his manager and he said he's gonna get paid about $1500 a month when they offically put him on, and then when that happens the way his deal is set up Nike will have to start paying him around $2000 a month and Volcom will be paying him another $1500 or so. Albeit he rides for all top tier companies thats really good money for being an am. He's also a contest kid so that might get him a little bit more money, but $1500 a month for being am sounds pretty good, idk if thats a standard DLX deal or everyone has their own thing.

If ams didn't get paid (like how it used to be) I think there would a lot less bullshit. I knew a dude that rode for black label as an am and didnt get paid, only pros get paid (yes I know it is a smaller company) but he would get checks from his other sponsors Brixton and Adidas and could not worry about a regular job. Clint walker has a job,no shoe sponsor has to hurt. Jon Sciano works and is on Deathwish and Lakai...was on dickies til that fell through...

In the end it's who you get hooked up by,but I see it a bummer that there aren't too many "hungry ams" anymore

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house