Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2017 Thread  (Read 128239 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2017 Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »
Expand Quote
FA not using PS has nothing to do with "when they can't do it." I've
Talked to Paul Schmitt and it's due to price or politics -- or how the FA folks are feeling that day. The wood biz is all politics and pennies--with the manufacturers making their coin on quantity.

[close]

I think a lot of people don't realize how often board companies switch between wood shops. Also, I don't think people realize just how different two boards from the same wood shop can be, even boards from the same run.

The major of distributors of which there is like 4(crail, dlx, dwindle and baker boys", all use one woodshop exclusively so the majority of companies never change woodshops, most other major companies only use one shop exclusively... what your saying here isnt really true, I listed the ones that switch between two and it's only AWS, Habitat and FA, Hockey and some Tum Yeto

Dwindle presses one board at a time, so their boards are the most consistently shaped, most press 4-5 at once and that creates 5 different concaves from one press

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:12 AM »
Expand Quote
hook-ups / jk industries ?
[close]

BBS I think.....

I haven't had a Hookups board in a while. but these do have the made in mexico skate within your abilities sticker. That's bbs right?
JK boards are probably the same. They both use have a similar pointier shape

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FA not using PS has nothing to do with "when they can't do it." I've
Talked to Paul Schmitt and it's due to price or politics -- or how the FA folks are feeling that day. The wood biz is all politics and pennies--with the manufacturers making their coin on quantity.

[close]

I think a lot of people don't realize how often board companies switch between wood shops. Also, I don't think people realize just how different two boards from the same wood shop can be, even boards from the same run.

[close]
The major of distributors of which there is like 4(crail, dlx, dwindle and baker boys", all use one woodshop exclusively so the majority of companies never change woodshops, most other major companies only use one shop exclusively... what your saying here isnt really true, I listed the ones that switch between two and it's only AWS, Habitat and FA, Hockey and some Tum Yeto

Dwindle presses one board at a time, so their boards are the most consistently shaped, most press 4-5 at once and that creates 5 different concaves from one press

What I'm saying is true, and once your list becomes more complete & updated you'll see it for yourself.

The bigger the company, the more likely they are to stick with one woodshop. Their orders are usually far too large to switch wood shops at the drop of a hat & require more planning so the shops can facilitate their order quantity. However, the amount of smaller board companies far outnumber the established big brands at this point, and those companies shop around like crazy. And I'm not talking making your pro boards at one woodshop & having your price point decks made at another/ different shops based on geographical location like the ones you've listed, I'm talking having your major full price runs divided between different wood shops for the same region.

At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
Yeah, well dude that info isn't relevant to most people, there might be more small brands than large ones but go into any shop and 80-100% of the boards will be from the big 4 distros(Baker Boys, Crail, Dlx and Dwindle), all of whom use one woodshop exclusively. My idea wasn't include literally every brand from a dude who wanted to turn himself pro by making his own company or whatever, it's a list of widely available boards from legit(my opinion) brands, pretty much everyone on the set-up thread/ SLAP rides a board from the list.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skate Mental?
[close]
not sure but werent they Crail wood at one point? and that seems to be Dailan Huahong?
[close]

Thanks - I would prefer my boards don't travel around the world twice before i get it, but I always come back to DSM boards. Was thinking of trying skate mental but not sure now.
[close]
skate mental hasn't been crailtap for a few years now
[close]

Any idea who they are using now?
[close]

Yeah anyone got ideas? Supposedly this Ben Degros guy on YouTube said they're made by bbs/gen but from my experience they look like they're still whatever crailtap does cause the shape and dimensions are exactly the same as most girl boards I.e. 8x31.625 with 14wb rounded nose and tail and the contour on the kicks aren't deep and sloped like bbs/gen decks
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Whoah....you lurk Teds brothers YouTube channel too? 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2017, 05:53:34 PM »
did we get to the bottom of evisen's woodshop? new series is the bomb!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
Yeah, well dude that info isn't relevant to most people, there might be more small brands than large ones but go into any shop and 80-100% of the boards will be from the big 4 distros(Baker Boys, Crail, Dlx and Dwindle), all of whom use one woodshop exclusively. My idea wasn't include literally every brand from a dude who wanted to turn himself pro by making his own company or whatever, it's a list of widely available boards from legit(my opinion) brands, pretty much everyone on the set-up thread/ SLAP rides a board from the list.

Yeah I'm not talking about some Bullshit brands, I'm talking about board companies Slap actually fucks with. Why would you think I was mentioning hole in the wall shop board program brands? Do you think Northern Co is a bullshit company that was made so Steve Fletch could turn himself pro?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BODpUS-AOdW/?hl=en&taken-by=pennswood

Like I said, the more your list grows the more you might learn something. But if you're not gonna make a comprehensive list then why make another one to begin with? If you only care about big brands that never change wood shops, we could have just referred to Lance's old posts. It doesn't seem like you're updating the list anyway, and if you're being persnickety about these brands not being "legit" then maybe this wasn't the thread for you to start.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:31:47 PM by Matthew_James »
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »
I don't even know what this argument is about but just jumping in to say that brands like Snack, Northern Co, Scumco etc. definitely don't fall under the "dude who wanted to turn himself pro by making his own company or whatever" category and the fact that most boards on a typical skateshop wall come from one of the big distributors is a good argument for trying to support smaller brands.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
I don't even know what this argument is about but just jumping in to say that brands like Snack, Northern Co, Scumco etc. definitely don't fall under the "dude who wanted to turn himself pro by making his own company or whatever" category and the fact that most boards on a typical skateshop wall come from one of the big distributors is a good argument for trying to support smaller brands.

My sentiment exactly. I get that everyone wants to argue about the board market being over saturated and the bigger companies having to downsize as a result, but I'd rather see the market share spread around to those who are bringing something new to the table. When companies become too big for too long, they end up in a state of complacency and end up like present day Girl...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2017, 01:35:52 AM »
Whoah....you lurk Teds brothers YouTube channel too? 

Ahaha yeah he's legit, knows how to skate and use the product thoroughly and review it, I was trying to find what he was talking about when he mentioned this thread but I don't see skate mental under bbs/gen

yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2017, 05:42:43 AM »
Apparently dwindle

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Apparently dwindle
hmmmmm...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Apparently dwindle
[close]
hmmmmm...
haha yeah, nothing definitive I guess, but someone or a couple people said dwindle in this thread and/or others

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
Looks like Foundation is back at PSstix (at least the current pro models are)

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
Looks like Foundation is back at PSstix (at least the current pro models are)
yoo cheers for the update!

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:47 PM »
Habitat and Flip are made on HLC for Europe, also The National skate Co is manufactured on HLC

Chuck Gender

« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
Any of the EuroPals have ridden a Sour board recently?  How are they, what are the dimensions (e.g. Lenght,  Wb for a 8.25)? I will check them in person in the local shop but thought that some input wouldn't hurt beforehand.

Thanks for keeping the thread up to date PSO! 

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2017, 03:15:35 AM »
Any of the EuroPals have ridden a Sour board recently?  How are they, what are the dimensions (e.g. Lenght,  Wb for a 8.25)? I will check them in person in the local shop but thought that some input wouldn't hurt beforehand.

I went to the Sour HQ/shop last month, they didn't have any board of my size because they were waiting the new drop that was just released this week. They have their own shapes and the new Jart construction is really good. Should be a good deck.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
Cheers guys! cool to see the Euro pals getting proper boards from the big some of the US companies finally

Chuck Gender

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I went to the Sour HQ/shop last month, they didn't have any board of my size because they were waiting the new drop that was just released this week. They have their own shapes and the new Jart construction is really good. Should be a good deck.

Yeah, I saw that the new board series arrived in one of my locals, thats why I asked. Will check them and hopefully the shapes are any good (for my taste).

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I saw that the new board series arrived in one of my locals, thats why I asked. Will check them and hopefully the shapes are any good (for my taste).
User: s.k.a.t.a.n is skating Sour board as seen in set-up thread, and he's in EU so I'd ask him for further questions.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Chuck Gender

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2017, 11:27:10 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=95042.msg2684630#msg2684630 date=1504942792
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
User: s.k.a.t.a.n is skating Sour board as seen in set-up thread, and he's in EU so I'd ask him for further questions.

Spot on, thanks man!

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2017, 05:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BBS I think.....

Anyone that can confirm?
Does the guy from Colony still post here? Who were they pressed by again?

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
Does anyone know who presses Doom Sayers Club and Transportation Unit?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
doomsayers should still be bareback.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »

Transportation Unit is PS and Doomwood is BBS

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

BBS I think.....

[close]
Anyone that can confirm?
Does the guy from Colony still post here? Who were they pressed by again?
Re: jeremy klein has sent you a package
"I have a few left, they are now on the front page of my website. I use the same woodshop as baker, Deathwish, real, antihero. Glad you like the boards."

From Klein himself...

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »
Got a Krooked board with an " IV" stamped on it, is that generator/BBS?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2017, 05:10:19 AM »
Got a Krooked board with an " IV" stamped on it, is that generator/BBS?
Yeah. the IV is where the deck was in the stack when it was pressed.