Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2017 Thread  (Read 128227 times)

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2017 Thread
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
i had a numbers that was generator.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
hmm i winder i they are using both or if they have switched over, anyone get a bbs number recently?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:19 PM »
yeah I think someone had mentioned this before.....I have a feeling companies may have a preference ie. ps Stix but if they can't pump em out quick enough it's BBS.....

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Numbers is PS Stix not generator.
[close]

Yup. The only Numbers deck I saw was PS. Alien also used both, though the last 2 I saw were PS.

If 5Boro switched to DSM that's news to me - used to be that other China mfg that brands use once they can't afford the wood they actually want. Never knew the name of that mfg.

What's the woodshop that made 1031? They did Send Help for a while too... the boards are gross. Shrink wrap is very brittle and breaks/rips easy... usually red or blue dyes. Made in USA.

BBS is the best, SC gets my vote for second.

I could have sworn 5boro used chapman. Granted I haven't had one in about a year so a lot can change

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
I could have sworn 5boro used chapman. Granted I haven't had one in about a year so a lot can change

They stopped using Chapman at least 3 years ago now. I had one of the original VHS series in 2014 and they had already switched to China wood at that point.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Program just told me they now use Clutch. Used to be PS Stix prior to their departure from being distributed by Welcome. I've never heard of Clutch before, anyone have any experience with decks made there?

I use Clutch now. Good boards, really snappy.
Made in Mexico, good variety of shapes, the guys that run it all skate and it’s reflected in the product. Plus they have cool things like split veneers. They’re solid overall but it’s their shapes I like the most. They have a 8.5 that’s a hair under 8.6 which I personally really like. 

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »
Expand Quote
I use Clutch now. Good boards, really snappy.
Made in Mexico, good variety of shapes, the guys that run it all skate and it’s reflected in the product. Plus they have cool things like split veneers. They’re solid overall but it’s their shapes I like the most. They have a 8.5 that’s a hair under 8.6 which I personally really like.
[close]

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll be trying out one of Program's new boards soon.

I just picked up a local guy’s shop deck and he uses Clutch.  Shape, pop, and flex all feel really good.  Had a nice little flat ground sesh on it today.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
Doesn't Clutch do Dogtown and that weird DOGGOD antwuan deal?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: November 30, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »
Anyone skating any of the newer crail stuff?  Better?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #279 on: November 30, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
^ I saw a jovontae crail thing and his reissue is ps stix.  Old flatter concave too (7.5model tho)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
Nah....that's just for the one offs.....

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #281 on: December 01, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »
Aight, thanks for the latest updates guys   ;)

Still wondering if there are any BBS's in the latest Numbers batches, or all P.S., like J Soy mentioned they probably just use both as need demands, just trying to narrow it down by season or drop a bit if that's possible

chodekaka

« Reply #282 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »

Still wondering if there are any BBS's in the latest Numbers batches, or all P.S., like J Soy mentioned they probably just use both as need demands, just trying to narrow it down by season or drop a bit if that's possible
I’ve had 5 numbers boards since February and they have all been ps stix. I asked my local shop who I got it from and they said the first drop some were bbs but since the second they have all been ps stix. They aren’t lasered on the top bolts like most ps boards I’m wondering if maybe someone confused that for bbs?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:22:47 AM by chodekaka »

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #283 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’ve had 5 numbers boards since February and they have all been ps stix. I asked my local shop who I got it from and they said the first drop some were bbs but since the second they have all been ps stix. They aren’t lasered on the top bolts like most ps boards I’m wondering if maybe someone confused that for bbs?

Mine wasn't marked either.

Other then possibly feel, how were you able to identify they were PS without it? Just curious.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: December 01, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Other then possibly feel, how were you able to identify they were PS without it? Just curious.
I think PS uses a lighter finishing substance, and the shapes are usually steeper/weirder and the grain wears differently, so i guess not that easily... but you could tell comparing maybe, oh also the warning stickers might help

I'll just leave Numbers as PS and can adjust if anyone ends up with a new bbs from them

chodekaka

« Reply #285 on: December 02, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

They have a laser engraving of the girl doing math with her hands bbs boards don’t have laser engraving if there’s ever an engraving “built by bbs” it’s stamped into the wood not laser. The veneer or finish on the top is different and the shapes and concave is different between BBs and Ps that you can always tell if you look at a bunch of bbs and ps side by side from different brands, ps stix tend to be more rectangular and the rails are less rounded than a generator, also the stains are slightly different. Bbs also has I II III IV for where it was on the press stamped on the top bolts numbers don’t have that not even under the sticker instead they have a single dot imprint like ps stix do . Final reason is that the guys at the shop noticed the first ever drop were BBS/generator with the warning labels and I II III IV markings and then when the second drop came in they were different with the girl doing math laser engraved like ps stix are and just looked different looked exactly like ps stix wood. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:11:05 AM by chodekaka »

chodekaka

« Reply #286 on: December 02, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »
That dot is ps stix, i dunno what it’s used for but every ps board has it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:34:28 AM by chodekaka »

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #287 on: December 02, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
How shitty is dwindle wood these days?
I really want to buy an enjoi at some point because I love those guys (and gal), but I don’t want a poopy board.  They say their boards single pressed and use some gnarly epoxy that’s probably illegal in the US, which all sounds interesting, but I’ve heard bad stuff about the boards over the years.

I don’t give a shit that they’re made in China, because so is everything else i own.  I just don’t want a board that sucks.

chodekaka

« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2017, 05:26:48 AM »
When you buy it look at the top bolts, you want it to say Resin 7 Hard Rock Maple if its not hard rock maple don't get it. Also don't buy the ones with 30 day warranty (unless it says hard rock maple) look for 60 or 90 day warranty ones but above all look for it to say hard rock somewhere on the packaging instead of just resin epoxy hybrid or resin 7 or 100 percent canadian maple. Usually if you are buying the pro decks instead of logo ones it will be a 90 day warranty and hard rock maple and those ones are crisp and really good. All the impact stuff is amazing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:32:07 AM by chodekaka »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »
IMO even the basic "Resin" price-point ones hold up as well or better than a lot of whats out there. The Resin-7's last forever though. Dwindle's boards are good, go for it and you might be pleasantly surprised. 

chodekaka

« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2017, 05:48:19 AM »
IMO even the basic "Resin" price-point ones hold up as well or better than a lot of whats out there. The Resin-7's last forever though. Dwindle's boards are good, go for it and you might be pleasantly surprised.
I’m always surprised at the hate for dwindle boards because they are really light and crisp and they offer different price points which is unique and they have really good labeling of the dimensions and concave and steep kick or mellow kick and the impact ones are probably the best boards other than Powell flight. But are you a heavy guy? The price point ones have pressure cracked around the bolts really fast for me 3 times it’s the only boards to ever do that to me. Or you get a dry one and they snap under the front bolts  I respectfully disagree they last longer than most stuff out there. They are lower priced decent bang for your buck if you are tight on cash but they don’t last longer than literally anything. Also the budget ones usually have a really mellow shape with small noses. It would be the baseline they build those decks into completes with no name trucks to sell to Zumiez. I would spend the extra 20 bucks buy the regular priced hard rock ones and those are equal or better than ps stix or bbs.

chodekaka

« Reply #291 on: December 02, 2017, 05:57:02 AM »
Actually there are kind of three, The budget ones don’t even say 100 percent Canadian Maple. Those suck. Then ones that say resin 7 100 percent Canadian Maple which I would say is equal to everything out there. Then the pro name boards that also say hard rock maple are really awesome. The impact plus is the best thing I’ve tried. Anyways that is just my opinions what I’ve noticed about dwindle boards I saw tj Rogers in toronto once and asked him a bunch of questions about dwindle boards cause I was curious and he told me about looking out for it to say hard rock or get the impact. I dunno the pricing in the USA but in Canada impact is almost the same price as a regular deck or sometimes just the same price which is really awesome.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: December 02, 2017, 05:57:53 AM »
I also don't jump down anything so there is that may be the reason for our differing experiences, but for me the cheap ones have lasted pretty much as long as the R-7's, but the R-7's do keep super rigid longer when the pricepoints are a little saggy but still very skate-able.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »
Pretty sure BBS doesn't mark all their boards with the Roman numerals just some DLX stuff....I thought I saw laser etching on habitat stuff after they switched....

I don't think dwindles stuff is bad but I still try and avoid buying stuff from China when I can and I'm not crazy about the brands anyhow....I skated a bunch of resin boards when they first came out and thought they were fine...

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2017, 01:22:41 PM »
do any of you know what woodshop makes frog boards?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:24:20 PM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

micky682

« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »
do any of you know what woodshop makes frog boards?
Generator.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2017, 04:36:26 AM »
Just seen some insta stories of Girl or Crailtap on a China deck factory so I assume that they keep doing with the same wood...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
I think it's different but still China....

They'll obviously never do it but if they just did dwindle...id be psyched....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »
yo otaku, who is doing scram's boards?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal