Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 12501 times)

Mad Max

Gardening
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »
Seeing as there was some cool feedback in the beekeeping thread, I figured I'd throw a gardening one in the mix.
Here's my problem if anyone can help.

I want to replant a berry bush elsewhere in the garden, but the plot where I started to dig unearthed a thick layer of charcoal pebbles.
Basically there's about a foot of earth and then at least two or three feet of charcoal. I stopped digging when I realized I'd reached a layer rather than a random patch.

I'm wondering if I can just plant the bush there and the thing will still grow?
I know you can add charcoal to your soil to improve the nutrient absorption of the plants, but this looks like it might be a bit extreme...

20matar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
Once, I tried to plant some sunflowers. They grew to be kinda ugly, then they withered and died. Now I don't even think about it, since it's the Easter Bunny's yard now... and I'm sure he'd love to chomp on my sunflowers. I like my bunny better than any flower, though.

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »
i'm not for sure, mad max. maybe you could hollow out enough room for your berry's roots and buy a bag of dirt w/ nutrients and hope it doesn't branch out into no man's land?
i had some nice sunflowers last yr for my bees and cockblocking squirrels would climb up and behead them. decapitate and bring the flower home to squirrel's lair to mow down. i got wise though and sprayed the stalks w/ hot pepper/garlic water but you've gotta be on it after a rainfall.
my perennials are starting to come back to life.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:28:32 PM »
Been in the que to get a small gardening plot (about 100 square meters). Almost had one now in April but some people before me in the que got it. Was hoping to get bees on there but that seems against the rules so Im just gonna grow veggies there.

Was thinking now in the start or based on how limited my time is Id start with a wide range of berries. Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries and some other stuff. Just to get something kicking that could handle itself mostly by themselves.

Later maybe carrots, grapes, potatoes, rhubarb, wild garlic, and more stuff.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 04:50:54 AM »
Been in the que to get a small gardening plot (about 100 square meters). Almost had one now in April but some people before me in the que got it. Was hoping to get bees on there but that seems against the rules so Im just gonna grow veggies there.

Was thinking now in the start or based on how limited my time is Id start with a wide range of berries. Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries and some other stuff. Just to get something kicking that could handle itself mostly by themselves.

Surely you could spend an afternoon foraging for berries and keep the plot for things that are harder to find in the wild.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 04:59:10 AM »
I've been reverting the yard back to nature w a native plant garden, which around here includes, oaks, sage, buckwheat, etc. The plan is to attract birds and wildlife and to feel like I'm camping when I chill in the yard. Also no money spent on water, lawn mower, poisons, any of that suburbanite bullshit.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 05:06:05 AM »
"I keep telling you, I just grow sorghum here"

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
Seeing as there was some cool feedback in the beekeeping thread, I figured I'd throw a gardening one in the mix.
Here's my problem if anyone can help.

I want to replant a berry bush elsewhere in the garden, but the plot where I started to dig unearthed a thick layer of charcoal pebbles.
Basically there's about a foot of earth and then at least two or three feet of charcoal. I stopped digging when I realized I'd reached a layer rather than a random patch.

I'm wondering if I can just plant the bush there and the thing will still grow?
I know you can add charcoal to your soil to improve the nutrient absorption of the plants, but this looks like it might be a bit extreme...

Charcoal makes the soil alkaline so you've got to figure out if your native soil is alkaline or acidic, and if berries you want to plant like alkaline or acidic soil. I'm in the desert southwest so our soil and water are both alkaline. To grow something like berries I'd have to add a bunch of compost and maybe something like fish meal to bring down the soil ph. Using collected rainwater instead of tap water helps out too.

Do you have a good garden shop nearby? If so maybe go chat up the workers about your situation and see if they can recommend a good soil mix.

Mad Max

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Ha ha! Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'm a complete gardening novice but our house has one so I think it's about time to learn.
I guess I'm going to have to check the soil ph levels.
It's a red currant bush I'm thinking of moving.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Surely you could spend an afternoon foraging for berries and keep the plot for things that are harder to find in the wild.

Hmm Ill think about it !

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »
Don't be the asshole that plants black berries in the community garden.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 06:43:41 AM »
I've been reverting the yard back to nature w a native plant garden, which around here includes, oaks, sage, buckwheat, etc. The plan is to attract birds and wildlife and to feel like I'm camping when I chill in the yard. Also no money spent on water, lawn mower, poisons, any of that suburbanite bullshit.

You in surcal my guy?
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You in surcal my guy?

Northeast LA like close to the san Gabriel mountains. So basically trying to copy what I see walking in the hills and along the river around here. For anybody in the area Theodore Payne foundation in sun valley is great for native plants and there's a spot at watershed park in Pasadena.

colin

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
Definitely a good idea to capture that rainwater - that's the only stuff I like to use in my compost bin, so that the chlorine and fluoride of tap water aren't in there to kill the beneficial bugs. Also, a little pee in your compost bin is the secret to higher temps. Shredding junk mail is a great way to get your browns, but no glossy stuff. Banana peels and coffee grounds straight on top of your dirt.

Rhubarb is tight because it's hella hardy and a perennial

Garlic is tight because in norther climes you plant it in the late fall - I've also had some organic stuff that sprouted on my counter, popped that in the ground, and in about a week I had a shoot coming up - this was during the spring.

I made these planters out of sections of discarded fence

I think there are some effective and cheap gardening tips in Fight Club, though I have yet to use them all.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You in surcal my guy?
[close]

Northeast LA like close to the san Gabriel mountains. So basically trying to copy what I see walking in the hills and along the river around here. For anybody in the area Theodore Payne foundation in sun valley is great for native plants and there's a spot at watershed park in Pasadena.

Check your PM box.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »
no quite there yet but definitely looking at properties up in the hills so that we can start getting self-sufficient. Want to go full organic/ am contemplating permaculture

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shark tits

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
yeah colin! looking tight, pal. this video is too zoomed in but basically it's my blueberries in the distance w/ strawberries under them, then i planted spinach, cabbage, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, kale and broccoli today as well as a bunch of seeds. found an onion w/ sprouts in someone's yard so i took it home, peeled some layers and planted that bitch too.
and 11 marijuana plants i had indoors. gardening ain't skating but it's still a big part of my spring-summer. gonna try watermelon later in the year, excited about that!
garden life

kook nukem

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 09:38:39 PM »
Fuck gardening. I officially gave up today. Been trying to grow some herbs, but I've killed everything. It should be a relaxing hobby, but it's too damn stressful. Sticking to shit I can't kill so easily (aloe, succulents, bamboo, cacti).

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »
Fuck gardening. I officially gave up today. Been trying to grow some herbs, but I've killed everything. It should be a relaxing hobby, but it's too damn stressful. Sticking to shit I can't kill so easily (aloe, succulents, bamboo, cacti).

seems you treat your plants like your lady
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

kook nukem

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

seems you treat your plants like your lady

Guess that's why I opt for low maintenance in both.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 11:40:02 PM »
yeah colin! looking tight, pal. this video is too zoomed in but basically it's my blueberries in the distance w/ strawberries under them, then i planted spinach, cabbage, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, kale and broccoli today as well as a bunch of seeds. found an onion w/ sprouts in someone's yard so i took it home, peeled some layers and planted that bitch too.
and 11 marijuana plants i had indoors. gardening ain't skating but it's still a big part of my spring-summer. gonna try watermelon later in the year, excited about that!
fuck yes dude! I would love to be able to grow all that myself

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shark tits

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
i don't know where else to throw this but i like making labels more than i like the act of making jelly. they're all one offs but people like this one. fun fact, the jam is actually 90% mulberry but strawberry is more picturesque. i dig the hell out of canning and picking fruit, i just don't like boiling it in sugar so much. i tried store bought pectin but i prefer lemon zest X juice X apple skin.
my blueberries are green but i found some ripe wild ones today. gonna cook em into the next batch.

colin

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
i don't know where else to throw this but i like making labels more than i like the act of making jelly. they're all one offs but people like this one. fun fact, the jam is actually 90% mulberry but strawberry is more picturesque. i dig the hell out of canning and picking fruit, i just don't like boiling it in sugar so much. i tried store bought pectin but i prefer lemon zest X juice X apple skin.
my blueberries are green but i found some ripe wild ones today. gonna cook em into the next batch.

Dude, you are fucking killing it in the gardening game. I don't normally quote pictures, but this one was worth seeing twice.

colin

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 08:40:32 AM »
I don't think it's of any real significance, but the other day every single pumpkin leaf had a border of water droplets:

shark tits

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »
that's a swell pumpkin leaf you got there, colin!
i liberated lumber last night and today i banged it into place, i wanna cover my grass in beds leaving only 2 feet path outlines around them. wide enough for a mower but i'd like to swap out mainstream grass for buckwheat, alfalfa, clover and whatever else bees fuck w/. the dirt in the top/right i dropped buckwheat seed on. we'll see if it take.

colin

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
that's a swell pumpkin leaf you got there, colin!
perhaps even more swell b/c it turns out none of the viney, large-leaf, huge-yellow-flower-havin plants we have growin in the backyard are actually pumpkins - they look almost identical, but they turned out to be zucchini and two different kind of squashes - all volunteers from seeds from our neighbor's garden last year.
oh well, I had some pretty good zucchini bread yesterday

Your planter boxes look really smart. good job, man

shark tits

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
rad! i've actually been eating mad zucchini bread myself!
filled out those boxes a little via compost and straw and planted some stuff, buckwheat is filling in towards the neighbor's driveway.

this one's got the old garden/beehives

this is today's harvest, stoked!

colin

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 05:34:37 AM »
the hands resist him
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

shark tits

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
fall is upon us but i got greens still. got red and black tomatoes, sweet peas, onions, kale, red lettuce, rainbow chard, spinach and cabbage, all picked today. yard to table!