Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 12503 times)

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Re: Gardening
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
This thread makes me smile.

All novices should plant rhubarb. Grows very quickly and easy as heck, and once you plant it you'll never need to plant it again
Gentleman ninja warlock

shark tits

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
i just picked a bowl of strawberries and some kale leaves. blended w/ a banana and i feel like a young the muska.

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 10:41:29 PM »
#fakejunkie

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

shark tits

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 04:43:04 AM »
wrong thread for that.
so i've had some wins/losses gardening this yr. weeded a bunch of asparagus cause i didn't recognize them, squirrels, rabbits, skunk and a whistlepig have been eating my greens and squash leaves before they can develop but i've had successes too. my blackberries i propagated from clippings at a public park are starting to have little red berries. got some good cherries, first yr of them.
birds in my blueberry net, aaack!
tomatoes and weed looking good.
so this morning i woke up and foraged my neighborhood, wild blueberries and mulberries i can put in jam.

shark tits

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 07:22:08 AM »
yo, i'm a big consumer of those odwalla 'B-monsters' [other brand has a 'B machine' and something else].
i made my own w/ blackberries and a banana.
i've got almost 30 1/2 lb jars of jam to last the winter so now i'm doing other stuff w/ fruit. strawberries are still turning but seem to have slowed down. tomato plants coming in strong. cushaw [holler squash] is finally turning the tide against rabbits aka getting too big to get chewed on.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
My garden is getting fuckin pounded by rediculous weather this year, I'm surprised everything is doing ok.

It's hot and humid for two days, then it storms/heavy winds for 2-3 days, one you day, then rinse repeat.

Looks more like a mudpit than a garden.

My tomatoes and peppers are fuckin Killin it though so I'm stoked on that!

I don't plant any berries because we have local spots to pick from which is very convenient and nice.

Of course rhubarb is still going strong because nothing can fuck that shit up.

And I'm stoked we no longer have grass! Our entire yard is nettle, wild mint and dandelion with some odd patches of chive.

Oh and I've finally found my grandpa's selection for apple trees and found a source, so I'll be transplanting 4 apple trees I to our yard! They take 7-8 years to be good but all good things are worth the wait!
Gentleman ninja warlock

shark tits

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »
cheers beta! no grass is a goal for me, some day. local bees are thankful i'm sure.
rest of it all sounds rad. too.
i've got little watermelon vines [i planted a lot from a local melon i ate] and only seen 3 so far but fingers crossed!
had good vines last yr but no fruit.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
I like this nettle mint and dandelion combo, I’ve seen pictures of mendo weed gardens with that as cover and it looks beautiful.  need to disrupt some crab grass in my back yard. Nettle and mint spreads
Quick but what did you use to get them
Going - seeds or starters?

pancake man

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
I'll have to get a picture of my brother and friend's small plot the next time I'm home. Homies are working with an acre, half being peppers for their old farm's Sriracha (https://www.kitchengardenfarm.com/) and then the other half is for themselves.

Edit: my younger brother is the guy on the left in the second picture if you click the link
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:15:37 PM by pancake man »

shark tits

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
I'll have to get a picture of my brother and friend's small plot the next time I'm home. Homies are working with an acre, half being peppers for their old farm's Sriracha (https://www.kitchengardenfarm.com/) and then the other half is for themselves.

Edit: my younger brother is the guy on the left in the second picture if you click the link
that's rad! i'm in worcester, ma. my peppers were mostly uprooted by squirrels but i killed 4 this wk so that's backed em of. a little sweet chin music.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »
I like this nettle mint and dandelion combo, I’ve seen pictures of mendo weed gardens with that as cover and it looks beautiful.  need to disrupt some crab grass in my back yard. Nettle and mint spreads
Quick but what did you use to get them
Going - seeds or starters?

Transplant a few, they grow like wildfire.

It's still not too late to have you yard filled by fall if you start asap.

And once it's there it's not fuckin leaving lol. Stuff grows crazy and is resistant to everything.

Also, mendo kills it. I wish I could use these plants in my grow. But I can't grow outdoors because I'm too close to a park, otherwise my yard would be full of cannabis lol
Gentleman ninja warlock

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
Growing sugar snap peas is super easy and then you always have something quick to snack on out in the garden, it's great.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Growing sugar snap peas is super easy and then you always have something quick to snack on out in the garden, it's great.

YES!

Best snack too
Gentleman ninja warlock

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
My garden is getting fuckin pounded by rediculous weather this year, I'm surprised everything is doing ok.

It's hot and humid for two days, then it storms/heavy winds for 2-3 days, one you day, then rinse repeat.

I don't plant any berries because we have local spots to pick from which is very convenient and nice.

And I'm stoked we no longer have grass! Our entire yard is nettle, wild mint and dandelion with some odd patches of chive.

Oh and I've finally found my grandpa's selection for apple trees and found a source, so I'll be transplanting 4 apple trees I to our yard! They take 7-8 years to be good but all good things are worth the wait!

What is the benefit of not having grass? Less maintenance and/or better for the ecosystem?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

shark tits

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
grass is a piece of shit. it's on some 'keeping up w/ the joneses' lame ass conformist, doesn't provide flowers [food for bees] or fruit/veggies for us. it's just some ornamental shit that uses fossil fuels to keep in check. or roundup.
fuck grass and fuck anyone who grows grass.
i wanna make grass the SUV or MAGA hat or whatever people think is lame and offensive.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What is the benefit of not having grass? Less maintenance and/or better for the ecosystem?

Grass does nothing for the ecosystem. It doesn't help produce healthy soil. It's completely non functional and is purely cosmetic.

Herbs, flowers, fruits, veggies etc all provide major benefits to the ecosystem, make great soil, make great foods/teas/medicines and keep the pollinators pollinating.

Plus it looks fuckin better than grass anyhow if you kinda plan shit out nice.

Also it saves ALOT on the grocery bill and you know exactly what your eating. And trust that food you grow tastes a thousand fold what is available at the grocery store.

Plus it's badass to have friends over to eat and homies like, this dish could use some dill and chive, and you walk outside and grab some lol, or have it already hanging in the kitchen.

Also, if you drink, dandelion makes good wine.

Aaaand see the post above, that's spot on IMO
Gentleman ninja warlock

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
Mowed back the crab grass for hopefully the last time this summer, Put like 10 starts in of nettle and dandelion and transplanted some mint from somewhere else. They look very lonely compared to the grass but Im hopeful.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
Mowed back the crab grass for hopefully the last time this summer, Put like 10 starts in of nettle and dandelion and transplanted some mint from somewhere else. They look very lonely compared to the grass but Im hopeful.

Nice! Trust me it won't take long to spread and overthrow the remaining grass.

Then next year say goodbye to any grass
Gentleman ninja warlock

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2018, 03:14:56 PM »
grass is a piece of shit. it's on some 'keeping up w/ the joneses' lame ass conformist, doesn't provide flowers [food for bees] or fruit/veggies for us. it's just some ornamental shit that uses fossil fuels to keep in check. or roundup.
fuck grass and fuck anyone who grows grass.
i wanna make grass the SUV or MAGA hat or whatever people think is lame and offensive.

Glad I asked.  I kind of want to yell at people from my truck now when I drive by and see them cutting their grass.  They probably won't hear me, but it will feel real good.

Picking fresh chive and other herbs when cooking sounds awesome.  Stores charge way too much for fresh herbs.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

shark tits

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
i've been homeless and i never was eating raw tomatoes but then  again, they weren't totally an option. our idea is to co-exist w/ the people living there and have a wild 'food forest' we all can nibble on. if you ain't got cookwear or utensils then fruit is better than veggies so i'd like to get some more sweets in the ground [yes tomatoes a fruit but i mean berries].
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulAIokqTmac
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:29:25 PM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

ungzilla

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 02:34:05 PM »
don't let the grass hate get out of hand!

there are thousands of species of native grasses that are ecologically sound and cool looking.

i'll assume your talking about lawn grasses and crab grass and so on and so forth though... and indeed, get that shit the heck outta here.

this is my favorite plant, toothache grass (Ctenium aromaticum).

shark tits

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
'hey, i don't care what you do w/ it once you're of my property.' i can't wait til my cushaw [holler squash] comes in. got 4 little watermelon vines too, if i get some fruit outta them, god bless! kinda hard in zone 5.

shark tits

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2018, 01:05:26 PM »
i had to chuck a tenant for being a junkie, left behind a raspberry plant in a bucket. i put it in the ground last yr and this yr it's paying dividends. got a bunch of smaller ones i'm waiting on for berries.
pricker bushes are nature's fences.

ungzilla

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »
put your dick back in your pants

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
i just picked a bowl of strawberries and some kale leaves. blended w/ a banana and i feel like a young the muska.

YO!
My strawberry plants aren't really doing so well. The leaves are looking nice and green and full, but all of the flowers keep wilting and dying. I can't tell if I'm over/underwatering, or if maybe I planted them in a bad spot, or in bad soil? Maybe I'm not giving them the kind of attention they need? All of my other plants are thriving.

You got any sage wisdom to pass on?

Also, anybody got any suggestions for dealing with squirrels stealing my shit? I put up some chicken wire, and buried the bottom about two inches into the ground. Keep in mind I can't kill them where I live.

shark tits

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

YO!
My strawberry plants aren't really doing so well. The leaves are looking nice and green and full, but all of the flowers keep wilting and dying. I can't tell if I'm over/underwatering, or if maybe I planted them in a bad spot, or in bad soil? Maybe I'm not giving them the kind of attention they need? All of my other plants are thriving.

Also, anybody got any suggestions for dealing with squirrels stealing my shit? I put up some chicken wire, and buried the bottom about two inches into the ground. Keep in mind I can't kill them where I live.
strawberries love sun. i can't diagnose from here but i hit mine w/ water maybe 2 X a wk if no rain. they're hardy like a weed. having bees will make them fruit though. i used to get a few strawberries, they've really taken over my hill since i got bees.
squirrels? nature's vandals? fuck those guys! get you a trap for $20 or so [havahart] and kkkill the fetus! i live in the city w/ neighbors on all sides. don't shoot wild but point blank while it's in the trap. fuck those assholes. peanut butter in the trap and if you ain't got a rifle [pellet or otherwise] then drown them. or if you're an idealistic animal lover, drive em to the country and make em someone else's problem.
bunnies are smarter than my traps. they're my new bane.
idk where you are but my strawberries are done for the yr. they flare up all june like nature's herpes.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Winter ran really late here, so my guess is I planted the berries too late, which is why they look so sad compared to the plants that are harvested in the fall. That said, I'm buildin' me a squirrel catapult.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

YO!

Of topic but grow sage
Gentleman ninja warlock

shark tits

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
i've got a little bit. peppermint too.
i did parsley last yr and dried it, made my own parsley flakes. kind of a lot of work for a cheap grocery item but satisfying nonetheless.
like to get some rosemary, maybe propagate some at my DIY.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2018, 08:34:56 PM »
i've got a little bit. peppermint too.
i did parsley last yr and dried it, made my own parsley flakes. kind of a lot of work for a cheap grocery item but satisfying nonetheless.
like to get some rosemary, maybe propagate some at my DIY.

Dry the sage, burn it in a bowl in your house.

Gentleman ninja warlock